The Student Room Group

Further Maths AS

Currently, I'm doing

Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Maths

I will probably drop Economics, leaving me to do Bio, Chem and Maths next year.

Is it any use to my application if I do a further maths AS module as well?

I know that medical schools do not distinguish between Maths and Further Maths, and usually they don't care if you do three A levels or 4, so theoretically, doing an extra AS level in a subject where they don't care if you do the full A2, is pointless? Could someone just clarify this with me please?
No, don't bother! I can promise you it's a complete waste of your time. Stick to your current subjects! :smile:
Reply 2
Not even slightly. Now it comes down to your grades, extra-curriculars, work experience etc.
waste of time. if you have an interest in mathematics it is best to explore it outside a formal (and rigid) qualification
Getting a good further maths AS wont really help much and if anything happens and you get a bad grade it could be harmful, so it's not worth the gamble.
Reply 5
Original post by John Locke
waste of time. if you have an interest in mathematics it is best to explore it outside a formal (and rigid) qualification

I don't have a particular interest in mathematics.

Thanks for the replies guys
Reply 6
For OCR,

further maths consists of doing Core 1-4 in one year, decision 1, stats 1 and mechanics 1
Reply 7
Original post by shan735
For OCR,

further maths consists of doing Core 1-4 in one year, decision 1, stats 1 and mechanics 1

And M2/S2

Or maybe not. Not sure about that tbh
Reply 8
Original post by Straight up G
And M2/S2

Or maybe not. Not sure about that tbh

I'm afraid not. I did further maths last year :smile:

I didn't do so well :')

I did Further maths, maths, history and economics and came out with:
C, B, D and C

After I dropped it, my grades pulled up dramatically- A for maths (90 ums marks for c1 and c2), C for History (I hate it) and B for economics (D for unit 1, but B for the rest >.<)

In my opinion, if you believe you're capable of surviving the first year of further maths, I say do it.
It gives you an overview of what you have to do for C1-C4...and makes it a lot easier in the second year if you choose to do maths but not further maths...that's what I did :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by shan735
I'm afraid not. I did further maths last year :smile:

I didn't do so well :')

I did Further maths, maths, history and economics and came out with:
C, B, D and C

After I dropped it, my grades pulled up dramatically- A for maths (90 ums marks for c1 and c2), C for History (I hate it) and B for economics (D for unit 1, but B for the rest >.<)

In my opinion, if you believe you're capable of surviving the first year of further maths, I say do it.
It gives you an overview of what you have to do for C1-C4...and makes it a lot easier in the second year if you choose to do maths but not further maths...that's what I did :smile:

Well the course would involve FP1 now, and then M2 and D1 extra next year. So unsure about whether its worth it in relation to my preferred university course
Reply 10
Well the course would involve FP1 now, and then M2 and D1 extra next year. So unsure about whether its worth it in relation to my preferred university course

Yep, for my friends who've stayed on, they're doing FP1 and the stuff after that. Unforutnately I can't tell you anymore because I didn't continue the course...
Reply 11
Further Maths should be called Unchosen Modules. Misnamed
I don't have a particular interest in mathematics.

Thanks for the replies guys

absolutely do not do it then. there is no further advice anyone can give you.
Reply 13
Only do it if you *like* doing maths

I'm currently doing the A level in further maths (done A level in regular maths) and can tell you it gets boring as hell with all the modules you do (I've done: C1 c2 c3 c4 m1 s1 fp1 s2 d1, doing: fp2 fp3 s3 d2 ... it's a hell of a lot)
Reply 14
Agree with the above, it would be a big effort to do sth that you don't have much interest and with little contribution to being in a better place for a uni offer. Quite a lotta theories and formula to learn and apply.
Reply 15
Hi I'm in pretty much the same situation except I want to do Biochemistry not medicine. I also find maths relatively easy at the moment. My teacher says doing Further maths next year would basically mean dropping geography and then doing the FP1, M1 and D1 modules as well as C3, C4 and S2 for A2 maths.
Would it be worth the extra time? Is it advantageous in terms of universities and future employers?
Reply 16
not for medicine
Avoid the unnecessary stress and concentrate on your main three.

Having said that, the consultant I was with on my last placement seemed fond of 'imaginary numbers'. :beard:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending