The Student Room Group

What is the easiest subject to get in for?

Just out of curiosity... :smile:
What is the hardest subject aswell?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think classics and music are the easiest
Reply 2
No, they aren't.
Original post by ilyking

Wow cool
Reply 4
You get these apparently effortless maths prodigies - probably not too difficult to get in for maths you're one of those.

all arts subjects will require effort however clever you are though.
Reply 5
Original post by Joinedup
You get these apparently effortless maths prodigies - probably not too difficult to get in for maths you're one of those.

all arts subjects will require effort however clever you are though.

I completely disagree, because 1. those people you're talking about are way too rare to put maths as a subject which is easy to get into and 2. those people love maths, as in that's their raison d'être, so they're always doing maths which is why they become outstandingly good at it, to say that it doesn't require any effort doesn't make any sense
defo performing arts is easy and the hardest would be medicien or engineering
Reply 7
Easiest would be the subject you want to study and are good at. The hardest would be a subject you don't want to study and aren't particularly brilliant at but applied anyway for the prestige or impression of being the easiest subject to get in.
Original post by ilyking

I fought off 12 other people for my place :yep:
Am I the only one who thinks the subject title of this thread doesn't make sense?
Reply 10
Original post by hasan4life
defo performing arts is easy and the hardest would be medicien or engineering

I'm sorry, based on what?

a) Oxford doesn't do performing arts
b) Oxford engineering is one of the less competitive subjects
c) shush

The subject that's easiest to get in for is the one you're best at. The Oxford system is built not to be played. They have quite a lot of experience with it. Apply for something you're good at and passionate about, hope to get an interview, do your best at interview and whatever happens at the other end of such a fair and rigorous testing process, well, live with it. I'm glad I got in, but I would've been ok with not getting in, because they genuinely saw how good I was.
Reply 11
I can just imagine you at the interview.

'Why do you want to study this subject?'
'I heard you're not too picky for it...'
Reply 12
Original post by lalaberlin
I completely disagree, because 1. those people you're talking about are way too rare to put maths as a subject which is easy to get into and 2. those people love maths, as in that's their raison d'être, so they're always doing maths which is why they become outstandingly good at it, to say that it doesn't require any effort doesn't make any sense

it's definitely different to other subjects - can't remember the last geography prodigy who entered oxbridge at 14.

14 doesn't that tell you something?
Reply 13
One you want to study.
Original post by Joinedup
it's definitely different to other subjects - can't remember the last geography prodigy who entered oxbridge at 14.

14 doesn't that tell you something?

Smart kids are inherently attracted to maths, and become good at it rather quickly?

Stop making assumptions.
Reply 15
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
Smart kids are inherently attracted to maths, and become good at it rather quickly?

Stop making assumptions.

Isn't that an assumption

The acceptance of 14 year olds into maths vs other courses is sadly a matter of fact.

The more perceptive amongst you may have noticed I've never said no-one doing maths at oxford ever had to work.
:jerry:

On a serious note OP: whilst you definitely shouldn't base course decisions on this, if you're really that interested you can trawl through the website looking at the successful applicant ratios (I'm assuming the website hasn't changed in that respect since I last look) :yes:
Reply 17
I think they're all equally difficult to get into. Classics however does have the highest applicant success rate, but then again it's more of a niche subject and is still very competitive.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Just out of curiosity... :smile:
What is the hardest subject aswell?

:facepalm2:

You're supposed to apply for Oxbridge for the subject, not for the university name in itself.

Easiest subject to get in for: the one you want to do.
Reply 19
Original post by im so academic
:facepalm2:

You're supposed to apply for Oxbridge for the subject, not for the university name in itself.

Easiest subject to get in for: the one you want to do.

this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending