The Student Room Group

A few questions on AS coursework

Each of my coursework pieces is supposed to be 1250-1500.... my word count is 1518 - I have extensively lowered it already. Seriously nearly every and has turned into a semi-colon :eek:
but will they actually bother counting?
I have heard horror stories about the exam board - AQA I'm on spec B - so don't really want to risk getting a lower mark if it's a risk (although how I'll cut down further beats me).

Also, my question is about positives emerging at the end of the play. I feel like I say positive a lot, I do so because it's then clear I'm relating back to the title, however is it babyish - should i vary my vocab for the word 'positive'?

Finally, the mark scheme is so vague, if anyone knows how to get an A grade and could provide insight I'd be very greatful :smile:

Before anyone asks why I don't ask my teacher, I'm a private candidate:tongue:
Original post by xfirekittyx
Each of my coursework pieces is supposed to be 1250-1500.... my word count is 1518 - I have extensively lowered it already. Seriously nearly every and has turned into a semi-colon :eek:
but will they actually bother counting?
I have heard horror stories about the exam board - AQA I'm on spec B - so don't really want to risk getting a lower mark if it's a risk (although how I'll cut down further beats me).

Also, my question is about positives emerging at the end of the play. I feel like I say positive a lot, I do so because it's then clear I'm relating back to the title, however is it babyish - should i vary my vocab for the word 'positive'?

Finally, the mark scheme is so vague, if anyone knows how to get an A grade and could provide insight I'd be very greatful :smile:

Before anyone asks why I don't ask my teacher, I'm a private candidate:tongue:

I did AQA Spec B last year and I believe my coursework was about 1600, normally you are allowed about 10% over so you should be fine. My coursework stayed at an A grade so don't worry.

At this moment I can't think of anything to replace 'positive' with but I might be worth looking for a few new words.

Basically you need to hit the AOs, which thanks to my teacher will probably be drummed into my head for all eternity.

AO1 is your style so make sure you argument flows and you throw in some nice English-y words that make sound more intelligent! Protagonist, Antagonist ect should do it!

AO2 is to do with form structure and language, have you quoted and made comments on the languaged used? Are certain things hypobolic ect!

AO3 is basically other interpretations and readings, make sure you include some critics or if not make sure you produce a few readings eg, "This can be read in this way... but some see that it means this" (That wasn't brilliant language I know, but you should get the gist :biggrin:)

AO4 is context, briefly explain a bit about the author, contempary life and responses at the time it was performed.

If you hit all of these well because they positive mark they can't mark you down :smile:
Reply 2
Is this literature?
If so my limit thing was 1500 but I did around 1800 and the teacher didn't say anything! Nothing will happen unless your work is moderated!
I got an A in my coursework btw (27/30)

For AO1 - you need to have specific terminology, so if it's the genre tragedy, you need to include words like hamartia, protagonist, catharsis etc. Make sure your essay flows, each paragraph having a topic sentence (i know you may think this is year 5 stuff but SERIOUSLY, it will get you a higher mark)

AO2 - For an A, you need to have a detailed exploration on key aspects of form, structure and language. This is directly from the markscheme. So 'key' aspects means a couple, not just writing everything you know. So for structure, explore chronology, caesura, end-stopped lines, enjambment but you must link it back to the question! E.g. the use of an enjambment indicates Othello's fragmented state of mind in act 3, scene 3. Then evaluate it: is it frustrating, or effective? You MUST evaluate for an A.

AO3 - Interpretations. So critical interpretations are vital. Get them from a reliable source and cite them in your bibliography. You must show an awareness of interpretations, so put one interpretation then challenge it by saying "however, one may see this as". For critics, evaluate them. So do you agree with them? If so Why?. I included a variety of different interpretations, like marxist, feminist, post-colonial. It shows you're going above+ beyond.

AO4 - Contextualising tragedy. So what was going on around the time when the author was writing the play? Talk about social and historical context. This needs to be 'woven' into the piece and not just a bolt-on paragraph discussing context. So when exploring structure, for example, you may 'weave' some context into it. Also, if you're studying shakespeare, you may want to talk about what may have influenced shakespeare? Seneca? (what aspects do Senecan dramas have that may be linked with the play you're studying?)

Good luck
Reply 3
Thank you both so much for your help ! Oh dear I think I'm really lacking in A03, I'm doing King Lear, it's not a feminist or marxist play to my mind,I only include Freud's interpretation on something and I don't even say say how far I agree with Freud's interpretation even, I just use it as a possible explanation for why Shakespeare chose to do something. Are these AO's given different weightings? Where did you get this? When I read the mark scheme online it did say to cross reference, but I did so not for interpretation but to emphasise points.

I also didn't evaluate how succesful anything was, again I can't see where it says to do this?! :s-smilie: Although I can see why it would be a good idea and I will definitely do so for my other coursework piece but because I'm over the word count I'm really hesistant to add anything as my tutor told me not to chop anything out as every point I make is strong and offers something different. She thought it was an A, but she has never had anyone who has done this syllabus before :s-smilie: However, now I'm thinking it's probabaly in fact a C. Is it possible to have done an excellent essay (what my tutor said) and a get such a low grade :s-smilie:

Original post by EffKayy
Is this literature?
If so my limit thing was 1500 but I did around 1800 and the teacher didn't say anything! Nothing will happen unless your work is moderated!
I got an A in my coursework btw (27/30)

Because I'm a private candidate, AQA marks my coursework! :eek:

For my other piece, this is probably such a dumb question, but where do you find critics interperations ?
Reply 4
Sorry an update, I re-read the mark scheme, and found where it says to evaluate and where it possibly could mean to involve critics opinions and then evaluate them but there seems to be another half of AO3 - Band 6 description:
' AO3 detailed and perceptive understanding of issues raised in connecting texts through concept of tragedy'
I believe I have done this, and I have thoroughly covered the other AO's so maybe I could even have achieved a B?

Oh and do you include the bibliography at the end of the essay? Or do you just put it in the form you get to declare your coursework is your own work?
Reply 5
Have you submitted the essay?

Evaluating does not mean you WILL get a band 5-6, but it helps. Your interpretations need to be sound. Critcs: internet? Or from a book which has mini essays in it.
A bibliography is vital.

Make sure contextual factors are excellent.
Have you explored structure as well as language?

We got given a standardising script thing from my teachers ages ago(which they arent allowed to hand out :O) and for king lear, someone got like 30, or was it richard the second? I'm not sure but yeah the essay was excellent!

Issues raised in connecting texts is again, an exploration of other tragedies. How shakespeare adapts the classical 'greek' tragedy approach and challenges it. In an examiners report, it said "Candidates must realise that a definition of tragedy is not fixed" so you must have challenged Aristotle in your essay.
Reply 6
Oh dear I think I've mainly commented on langauge - I've explored structure in terms of how the overall play is structured and the sub-plot mirroring the main plot - but nothing specific like enjambment what I did probabaly isn't good enough is it? Sounds like I'd have done better hiring you as a tutor then my actual tutor as I'm sure she's great for other syllabuses but sounds like she gave my essay high praise when it didn't deserve it.
Reply 7
One of my AS coursework pieces was about 1000 words over. Don't worry, they didn't mark me down for it at all :wink:
Reply 8
Heya just thought I should let you guys know, AQA marked my c/w as 56/60 (raw mark) UMS 74/80 - I kind of left my first piece as it was, so aparently evaluation is fine even if you do just a little subtley and it's fine if you are a little over the word count :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending