The Student Room Group

Another Police Officer Killed

The C.IRA have claimed responsiblity for the death of PSNI Constable Ronan Kerr.

The car bomb went off around 4pm on Saturday. The bomb was planted in his car outside his home in Omagh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12948992

Paper Sun by Def Leppard was inspired by the Omagh Bomb 1998 by a joint dissidents effort (C.IRA/ R.IRA) Thought it was appropriate.

Your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sickening - round up the scum and have them shot.
Wheres Omagh? I assume its not in the UK?

EDIT: LOL I can't believe how sensitive people are about a place!

I'm actually quite curious now. Why do people have such a problem with the fact I didn't know where it was? :dontknow:

EDIT: Ha, ok, well I don't really have a problem with neg reps, but I do wish someone would tell me why its so offensive! :lol:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CookieDoughLove

It's in northern ireland.
Reply 4
****ing stupid nationalists.
Reply 5
Why are they starting again?
Reply 6
Original post by Reml
Sickening - round up the scum and have them shot.

Easier said than done. I'll be suprised is theres a conviction in this one. Interesting to see what will happen over the next week though. But even if anyone is caught, they'll get sent to Magabry and releases in 10/20 years under some agreement when the dissidents (probably merged under the name N.IRA or something) decomission.
Reply 7
As a catholic from northern ireland who has thought about joining the psni, and who comes from a staunch nationalist/republican area. I am now seriously thinking about changing my career aspects and joining the psni again. I seriously thought about it before, and was persuaded not to by my family and began a law course instead, with thoughts of possibly joining after. I decided to become a solicitor instead and successfully got a training contract as it was obvious due to the economic situation recruitment would stop, and my family weren't supportive.
What happened today makes me aspire to follow in Ronan's footsteps and do the little bit I can to help the situation at home! Its an utter disgrace what is going on, and I hope catholics in the force remain strong and brave and weather the storm! My respects and condolences go out to his family, and can't believe there are members of my community killing our own people in the name of a united ireland! They are disgracing my community and the efforts of those to make ireland a better place for all!
Reply 8
Original post by Aj12
Why are they starting again?

they never stopped.

Reply 9
Original post by bestofyou
they never stopped.

So they want a unified Ireland?
Reply 10
Original post by SteveCrain
****ing stupid nationalists.

Stupidest comment I have ever seen, they are not nationalists, they are a dissident republicans keep your thoughts to yourself if you don't know what you are talking about. The majority of nationalists are against this senseless killing, the officer himself was a catholic!
Reply 11

It is in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland yes, in the Northern Ireland Country. Alternatively it should be part of the Republic of Ireland, in the occupied Six Counties.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by LALA LAND
Stupidest comment I have ever seen, they are not nationalists, they are a dissident republicans keep your thoughts to yourself if you don't know what you are talking about. The majority of nationalists are against this senseless killing, the officer himself was a catholic!

lol, was about to write a pretty much identical comment.
Reply 13
Original post by bestofyou
Easier said than done. I'll be suprised is theres a conviction in this one. Interesting to see what will happen over the next week though. But even if anyone is caught, they'll get sent to Magabry and releases in 10/20 years under some agreement when the dissidents (probably merged under the name N.IRA or something) decomission.

10/20 maybe depending on the sentencing factors. But the decomissionin statement is false! the IRA/sinn fein had a mandate and had a large support base! Talking had to happen! the dissidents couldn't even get 3% of the nationalist vote in 2007! and the whole point of them is that they will never give up armed struggle. The only way you will see their backs is if there is a united ireland.
Original post by Fusilero
It is in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland yes, in the Northern Ireland Country.

Yeah I just didn't think i'd heard of the place before. I didn't consider Ireland to be honest.

I thought it sounded a bit American.
Reply 15
Whats the nationalist idea? That little bit of Ireland wants to be under british rule?

I thought it sounded a bit American.

Where did they get thier placenames from?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Ich Dien
Whats the nationalist idea? That little bit of Ireland wants to be under british rule?

Where did they get thier placenames from?

Nationalist idea is that they eventually want to see a united Ireland (just one island governing itself), but only through peaceful means and dialogue.

Place names are either gaelic or english translations of gaelic.
Reply 17

They are nationalists.
The media shouldn't even report events under the name of the IRA continuity or otherwise, instead they should just refer to them as cowardly terrorists and not give them the infamy they so desperately desire.
Reply 19
10/20 maybe depending on the sentencing factors. But the decomissionin statement is false! the IRA/sinn fein had a mandate and had a large support base! Talking had to happen! the dissidents couldn't even get 3% of the nationalist vote in 2007! and the whole point of them is that they will never give up armed struggle. The only way you will see their backs is if there is a united ireland.

I wasn't being serious with that part. Hence the N.IRA. I was trying to predict the future so to speak.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending