The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kevin6767
And if I was a Conventry student I would point out to the students at Warwick that you can't actually get an F at A level.

That doesn't really translate well into a terrace chant unfortunately.
Reply 101
Original post by Lemozo
But Trent's got a higher rate of graduate employment than Notts. :confused:

Sure about that?
So may harsh ones directed at trent from Notts:
"Your Dad works for my Dad"
"whats that coming over the hill, Unemployment"
"T-R-E-N-T you're gonna get a **** degree"
""give me an E" give me an E give me another E what have you got? Into Trent"
"sign on, sign on, because you'll never get a job"
"We go somewhere you don’t go, university"
"Polytechnic can you spell it?"
"The wheels on your house go round and round!"
I know it's all banter, but some of this thread is pretty depressing... I mean seriously making fun of people for having low-income backgrounds is a bit over-the-top. And I do think that some of these students genuinely believe that their degree will automatically land them a good job while the "lesser" uni degree will prevent them from getting a good job, which is pathetic and naive, and indicative of people who will not do well in the graduate job market.

Thankfully there are no London Unis being mentioned in this thread I guess.

Original post by Lemozo
But Trent's got a higher rate of graduate employment than Notts. :confused:

They do have very similar rates of grad employment, thus rendering the whole "Unemployment" chant stupid and naive (albeit very funny) but what you said is still wrong. Nottingham is 76.3%, while NTU is 74.1%.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 104
Original post by innerhollow
No it doesn't.

Evidence?
Reply 105
Original post by Nadiiiiia
I was just shocked at how loud and abrupt they were being in a bus full of Warwick students :s-smilie: , I don't think you should paint everyone with the same brush though :smile: I have some friends at coventry uni :tongue:

They probably think they're 'hard'. What I love about this is, the majority of people who may have been bullied, called nerds etc now are getting their own back on the chavs.

Obviously I'm stereotyping but if research was conducted on it I'd bet my uni fees more bullies end up in 'lower' universities.
Original post by Lemozo
Evidence?

Complete University Guide states that Nottingham's grad employment rate is 76.3% while NTU's is 74.1%.

You might also want to remember that you provided no sources for your original statement :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by innerhollow
Complete University Guide states that Nottingham's grad employment rate is 76.3% while NTU's is 74.1%.

Okay, but what jobs are we getting here? For all we know 'Trentians' are going into street cleaning whilst 'Nottinghams' are going into, for example, medical positions.
Original post by RobertWhite
They probably think they're 'hard'. What I love about this is, the majority of people who may have been bullied, called nerds etc now are getting their own back on the chavs.

Obviously I'm stereotyping but if research was conducted on it I'd bet my uni fees more bullies end up in 'lower' universities.

:redface: probably
Reply 109
I would ditch my friends a thousand times to go to a 'redbrick uni'. I will likely not stay in contact with them for the rest of my life and my education is far more important.

Hope you're not being sarcastic, cos I'd honestly do the same thing.
Okay, but what jobs are we getting here? For all we know 'Trentians' are going into street cleaning whilst 'Nottinghams' are going into, for example, medical positions.

Yeah, according to Unistats Nottingham's got ~80% of jobs being graduate-level while NTU has a figure of 68%.
Reply 111
Original post by tite23
Hope you're not being sarcastic, cos I'd honestly do the same thing.

I'm not being sarcastic in the slightest. I'd literally say goodbye today if I had too.
Reply 112

Spot on. If you looked at the salaries of students at Nottingham and NT universities after 5 years of graduating I think it would be a much more accurate way to show how 'employable' each university makes you. God knows how many UoN graduates there are in further study doing things such as LPC's or PGCE's after graduation, as opposed to going straight into 'employment'.
Reply 113
Original post by Dreizhen
Yeah, according to Unistats Nottingham's got ~80% of jobs being graduate-level while NTU has a figure of 68%.

Looks like I hit the nail right on the head :hat:
Original post by SamGee
I go to De Montfort University in Leicester and i'm beyond surprised at how intense our rivarly is. Being a football fan myself i'm used to big rivalrys between my football team and our rivals, so i was quite pleased with the intensity of it all, but its beyond silly sometimes. Uni of Leicester look down on us massively but they're absolutely bloody awful at dishing out banter, they just gie us the usual, you're a crap stupid uni chants and we have a whole host. Its commonly known amongst DMU students that Leicester uni is absolutely full to the brim of stuck up posh students, one of my favourite chants at UOL is You can stick you silver spoon up your arse. We absolutely despise eachother, at our varsity football game they segregated the two unis with a police pressence, for the rugby they didnt do this and it was incredibly tense and there were several bust ups were i was sat and they had to bring stewards to surround both sets of fans. Also on the battle of the uni bar crawl its incredibly tense, the only time ive ever been beaten up in my lfie was in what i can only call a small riot outside our SU at the end of the night, three UOL students kicked surrounded me and kicked the **** out of me admittedly. I've visted several of my friends unis and i can honestly say our Rivarly is the feircest.

When you are being looked down on by Leciester University your life must be horribly depressing, no?
Reply 115
I'm not being sarcastic in the slightest. I'd literally say goodbye today if I had too.

Lol make sure you know the difference between "too" and "to" first. But yeah, I'd do the same. Which sounds awful, but honestly there isn't anyone outside of my family that I care more about than my future.
Reply 116
Original post by tite23
Lol make sure you know the difference between "too" and "to" first.

I prefer to call it a typo :biggrin:
I've not found it to be so in Lancaster (Lancaster University & Cumbria). I've only met a couple, but they seemed pretty nice. I'm not going to base my opinion of someone on whether they go to a university that doesn't get as much student satisfaction or whatever :rolleyes:

I've heard people from Lancaster Uni getting annoyed about being confused with UCLan, but I think that's only because of other people saying, upon hearing the words 'I go to Lancaster' assuming it's UCLan and then sniggering because UCLan 'isn't very good'.

This is a table of the Top 60 Unis for average starting graduate salaries. Nottingham is 16th, while Trent is unlisted, so obviously in this specific example of Nottingham vs NTU the Nottingham grads tend to go into more well-paid jobs. However, if you read through the table, then apart from LSE, ICL and Oxford, the unis listed there are all fairly close together, all hovering very close to the 20k mark. And there are some surprising examples too (i.e. Bournemoth and Middlesex both have slightly higher graduate salaries than Durham). It's not as clear-cut as TSR would have you believe.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/highestgraduatestartingsalaries.pdf

If you want more specific examples, you can compare the job prospects of a given course at any university using Unistats.com.

Original post by TRX45
Spot on. If you looked at the salaries of students at Nottingham and NT universities after 5 years of graduating I think it would be a much more accurate way to show how 'employable' each university makes you. God knows how many UoN graduates there are in further study doing things such as LPC's or PGCE's after graduation, as opposed to going straight into 'employment'.

I think you would benefit from reading the above link.
(edited 13 years ago)
It's human nature to look down on people, don't tell me you've never watched the Jeremy Kyle Show and thought "wow...". It's just some people make a huge deal out of it. I'd never not talk to someone who's nice because of their social class - Oxford student, Oxford Brookes student, unemployed person - who the hell cares, people are just people, and if I get on with them, fair enough. Pretentious snobs exist, and they're probably common in prestigious university cities, and if it makes them happy that in their mind they're academically slightly superior to you, then whatever.

Latest

Trending

Trending