The Student Room Group

AS Lit coursework - WORD LIMIT

Does anyone know if there is a 10% allowance rate for the word limit on AQA English Literature B Spec. coursework? Or is 1500 the absolute upper limit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do this spec too. For my Othello coursework, I had around 1800 words and the teacher didnt say anything (I got 27/30). Unless it gets moderated, nothing will happen.
Reply 2
I thought you did get the 20% allowance...?

Mine was exactly 1500 though, so I'm not placed to comment. Check the website?
Original post by EffKayy
I do this spec too. For my Othello coursework, I had around 1800 words and the teacher didnt say anything (I got 27/30). Unless it gets moderated, nothing will happen.

What's the point of word limits if people pass it by 300 words. That's really cheating out other candidates. There shouldn't be an allowence, if that is the case.
Reply 4
Im with OCR and when they say 2000 they mean you can't go a single word over. Apparently they don't mark anything after the 2000th word but I doubt they'd actually count the number of words in your essay. Still, better to be on the safe side. I'm cutting it down right now, but I'm still about 60 words over the limit.
I'm doing A2 AQA Lit B...there is a 10% addition to the word limit that you can have meaning on a 1500 word essay the most you can have is 1650. You can get away with slightly more so long as you don't write the word count at the bottom of the essay, don't go too much over 10% over though or they can penalise you for it
I myself am doing this coursework and met a smilar problem with word limit.
Whats everyone view on Iago? Everyone keeps saying that hes evil, but I myself am basing my coursework on quite the opposite?

I think Iago is a villian who is adept to quick improviations, sly vindictiveness. He is egotistical and independant. And can adapt his tone to any style or situation.
Reply 7
Original post by Mikey73
I myself am doing this coursework and met a smilar problem with word limit.
Whats everyone view on Iago? Everyone keeps saying that hes evil, but I myself am basing my coursework on quite the opposite?

I think Iago is a villian who is adept to quick improviations, sly vindictiveness. He is egotistical and independant. And can adapt his tone to any style or situation.

What is your title?
I got 27/30 on Othello, so I can help you I guess..
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
What is your title?
I got 27/30 on Othello, so I can help you I guess..

The question/title i have to do the essay on is; One critic has dismissed Iago as a 'melodramatic villian'and this view suggests that he is of little interest other than to tempt and destroy his victims. Discuss this view in terms of Iago's contribution to the tragic effect of the play.
Reply 9
Original post by Mikey73
The question/title i have to do the essay on is; One critic has dismissed Iago as a 'melodramatic villian'and this view suggests that he is of little interest other than to tempt and destroy his victims. Discuss this view in terms of Iago's contribution to the tragic effect of the play.

Was this set by your teacher? Or have you made it?
Very narrow tbh.
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
Was this set by your teacher? Or have you made it?
Very narrow tbh.

It was set by my narrow-minded teacher, and frankly, Im enjoying exploting it to rub in her snooty face.

Not to come across too egotisical. ^_^
Reply 11
Original post by Mikey73
It was set by my narrow-minded teacher, and frankly, Im enjoying exploting it to rub in her snooty face.

Not to come across too egotisical. ^_^

G'luck with that.
That seems quite hard ....... if you're going to write 1200-1500 words on it..
Reply 12
how much under the 1500 can you go?
(says the person who has not started and has deadline tomorrow and is probably going to overdose on caffine to stay up?
^ good luck! You can do it- I got 28 on my first draft and I've been getting Es and Ds all year otherwise...

It's definately 1500, no more, or 1200, no less.
I don't think that they'll stop reading but they might take away marks because our teacher gave us a sheet saying " good candidates will have followed the rules" or something like that.
Original post by chinaberry
^ good luck! You can do it- I got 28 on my first draft and I've been getting Es and Ds all year otherwise...

It's definately 1500, no more, or 1200, no less.
I don't think that they'll stop reading but they might take away marks because our teacher gave us a sheet saying "good candidates will have followed the rules" or something like that.

:rofl: That sounds like something on the wall at a primary school: "good children will have followed the rules"!

And OP, I would stick to it if you possibly can, I think there is some leeway for AQA (I'm on OCR and they are vicious if you go over) but it'd be better not to risk it :smile:
I'm doing my coursework on Macbeth at the moment, and I'm on 1791 words, with a limit of 1500. That's too muchh over, right?
Reply 16
Original post by DayOfTheBees
I'm doing my coursework on Macbeth at the moment, and I'm on 1791 words, with a limit of 1500. That's too muchh over, right?

Yes. Try and get it down to 1650 words, which is the 10% allowed over the word limit. Both of my pieces were 1650 words and neither were marked down for being over 1500; it's just to ensure the essay remains focused.
Does the word count include the quotations/mentions of character names/book titles?
Reply 18
Original post by TheMeister
Does the word count include the quotations/mentions of character names/book titles?

Yep, pretty sure it does. But it doesn't include the bibliography.

Also thanks everyone for allaying my fears haha, I've gotten it down to exactly 1650 (VICTORY) but there's no way I can cut any more, so hopefully the 10% allowance stands.
It's between 1200 and 1500. If you go over, you fail one of the AOs as you can't write concisely, or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending