The Student Room Group

taking a online numerical and logical reasoning tests for a pwc insight day?

hi, i applied for a insight day visit and got another email to complete online numerical and logical reasoning tests, PwC's student talent questionnaire and PwC's personality questionnaire.

has anyone done this? how hard are the exams?

i tried numerical in shl and got destroyed, around 44%

:frown:

i'm not feeling confident in these exams

and can you fail in a personality questionnaire?
Reply 1
To be honest, you may as well get someone who you know will pass it to do it for you; I only advocate such an approach in this situation because they won't ask you to repeat the tests in person for an Insight Day.
but wouldnt it be on my records? also, tests for an insight day?
Reply 3
Just do lots of practice. Half the questions ask you to do the same thing so the more you try, the better you'll get. I wasn't great on my first go but really improved in a short space of time.

I'm surprised you have to do all of that just for an insight day though! You didn't accidentally click on 'summer vacation scheme' or something, did you?:P
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by McCoy
Just do lots of practice. Half the questions ask you to do the same thing so the more you try, the better you'll get. I wasn't great on my first go but really improved in a short space of time.

I'm surprised you have to do all of that just for an insight day though! You didn't accidentally click on 'summer vacation scheme' or something, did you?:P

ha, i was worried about that several times, but everytimei check it says insight day

the thing is, it says to do it within the next 5 days so that it can eb processed as quickly as possible. the 5th day is tomorrow...

in fact from the email:

We would be very grateful if you could aim to complete the tests and questionnaires over the next five days so that we can progress your application as quickly as possible.

i mean, this sounds so serious for an insight day
Reply 5
They want to project an image of professionalism. Also, don't forget that it is costing them time and money to host you for a day/pay your travel expenses; they aren't interested in people who aren't realistically going to apply and pass their initial filters.
Original post by Gimothy
They want to project an image of professionalism. Also, don't forget that it is costing them time and money to host you for a day/pay your travel expenses; they aren't interested in people who aren't realistically going to apply and pass their initial filters.

do you think they mind if i take a couple more days, im no way near ready
Reply 7
Original post by Astudentinneed
do you think they mind if i take a couple more days, im no way near ready

I don't know. Doubtful, unless it is an actual deadline.
Reply 8
hi, i applied for a insight day visit and got another email to complete online numerical and logical reasoning tests, PwC's student talent questionnaire and PwC's personality questionnaire.

has anyone done this? how hard are the exams?

i tried numerical in shl and got destroyed, around 44%

:frown:

i'm not feeling confident in these exams

and can you fail in a personality questionnaire?

are you sure it's not an insight internship?

I applied for an insight day at PwC and was not asked to do a test! Actually, I got the same message as you for a summer vacation programme.
yeah, just checked, on application form , it says:

Title Status Feedback
Insight day, London, 2011 Submitted Not Applicable

so, im pretty sure. im worried now
Reply 10
ha, i was worried about that several times, but everytimei check it says insight day

the thing is, it says to do it within the next 5 days so that it can eb processed as quickly as possible. the 5th day is tomorrow...

in fact from the email:

We would be very grateful if you could aim to complete the tests and questionnaires over the next five days so that we can progress your application as quickly as possible.

i mean, this sounds so serious for an insight day

Is it the numerical or verbal reasoning test you're having problems with? If it's the numerical one, you might find it useful to write down some simple equations on a piece of paper next to you that you can consult throughout the test, so you already have a template to answer the questions and just add in the numbers in the example you're given.

I know the tests can seem daunting, but in my experience, they're only looking for very low scores to pass (a friend of mine completed at internship at an investment bank and was offered a graduate job and asked about the initial online tests - was told you only needed 50% to pass. That might not be the same everywhere, but I imagine most places aren't looking for more than 60% or so at the first stage, because other things matter too and the whole process is cumulative). Otherwise just try to learn the quickest way for doing things like calculating percentages. When I took the tests I hadn't done maths for about 5 and a half years and was really worried. I asked my boyfriend to teach me some, and discovered that he wasn't very helpful. Then I asked my brother, and he was really useful - showed me things that made sense and got me much faster at answering the questions. Half of the maths test is working out what they are asking of you, as they use complicated tables which don't need to be so difficult, just to check you can work out which info needs analysing etc - so always read the question carefully and think 'what exactly is expected of me and which numbers do I need to use here'? Maybe get somebody who knows maths to sit by you as you do a practice test, taking notes, and then pointing out what you did wrong after, and how to do those things better.

If you're really worried, just e-mail them and say that you've had no internet access and would be it okay if you had a couple more days to prepare. I have no idea what the answer will be, but they might be understanding.

Sorry - that was really long! Good luck :biggrin: I still think it's odd you need to do this for an insight day...I know I didn't at other professional services firms.
with a calculator i can figure it out.

was reading this numerical interpertation book and it says

The obvious thing to do is round 16.94 up to 17 and divide 6,477,000 by 17 = 381,000 (if you cannot do this calculation without a calculator then you may well need to revise your command of the multiplication tables and/or improve your mental arithmetic

people can divide 6,477,000 by 17!?
Original post by McCoy
Is it the numerical or verbal reasoning test you're having problems with? If it's the numerical one, you might find it useful to write down some simple equations on a piece of paper next to you that you can consult throughout the test, so you already have a template to answer the questions and just add in the numbers in the example you're given.

I know the tests can seem daunting, but in my experience, they're only looking for very low scores to pass (a friend of mine completed at internship at an investment bank and was offered a graduate job and asked about the initial online tests - was told you only needed 50% to pass. That might not be the same everywhere, but I imagine most places aren't looking for more than 60% or so at the first stage, because other things matter too and the whole process is cumulative). Otherwise just try to learn the quickest way for doing things like calculating percentages. When I took the tests I hadn't done maths for about 5 and a half years and was really worried. I asked my boyfriend to teach me some, and discovered that he wasn't very helpful. Then I asked my brother, and he was really useful - showed me things that made sense and got me much faster at answering the questions. Half of the maths test is working out what they are asking of you, as they use complicated tables which don't need to be so difficult, just to check you can work out which info needs analysing etc - so always read the question carefully and think 'what exactly is expected of me and which numbers do I need to use here'? Maybe get somebody who knows maths to sit by you as you do a practice test, taking notes, and then pointing out what you did wrong after, and how to do those things better.

If you're really worried, just e-mail them and say that you've had no internet access and would be it okay if you had a couple more days to prepare. I have no idea what the answer will be, but they might be understanding.

Sorry - that was really long! Good luck :biggrin: I still think it's odd you need to do this for an insight day...I know I didn't at other professional services firms.

i did the shl exam practive and got 44%, although i couldnt figure out 3 of them, and just randomly picked an answer. that was wrong wasnt it? i should have just skipped

and towards the end i was randomly picking answers which also was not good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending