The Student Room Group

People in Year 12 or below: Are you still going to university now fees have risen?

We have seen that fees in most universities across the UK will be the maximum £9,000 a year, with a few exceptions charging a bit below that.

That's a huge amount of debt to take on into your later life - £27,000 in tuition fees, adding to that i would say roughly £9,000 for accommodation (depends where you are in the UK really) and however much you spend on food and other stuff.

I was wondering how many of you are considering going to university now, taking into account these massive fees and the huge debt you will be burdened with. Or do you know friends or family who have to consider this decision?

Thanks for all your responses! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

Im in wales so hopefully if the right party gets in , in may to welsh assembly . then the difference in my tuition fees will be paid for me . Therefore not is such a bad situation as other students. But i want to do medicine and yes the fees are a worry especially last year because u dont get a maintenance grant . Im looking for a part time job :smile:
Reply 2
I'll still go. Hasn't changed anything.
Reply 3
<Okay, at some point I've said something offensive and I really don't know what but yeah>
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
While the rise in tuition fees is negative all round, I think it will help people make the right choices.

Joe Bloggs will think twice before he studys for a degree in golf management.
:yep: nothing* will prevent me from going to Uni.
Original post by robotwars

Original post by robotwars
We have seen that fees in most universities across the UK will be the maximum £9,000 a year, with a few exceptions charging a bit below that.

That's a huge amount of debt to take on into your later life - £27,000 in tuition fees, adding to that i would say roughly £9,000 for accommodation (depends where you are in the UK really) and however much you spend on food and other stuff.

I was wondering how many of you are considering going to university now, taking into account these massive fees and the huge debt you will be burdened with. Or do you know friends or family who have to consider this decision?

Thanks for all your responses! :biggrin:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_releases_for_journalists/110315_1.html

It really shouldn't.
Original post by Wenger
While the rise in tuition fees is negative all round, I think it will help people make the right choices.

Agreed, and the newspapers will most likely pass it off as "less poor people going to university".

But think about it, generally speaking, those who do Mickey Mouse courses are usually those from poorer-income backgrounds.

That's alright for Oxford students then
Reply 9
Yes, but it's kinda sad that i'm contemplating applying to places because they have three year courses instead of the four year course i'd rather go to. Regardless of the fact it doesn't get paid upfront, it's a huge amount of debt to be in, and unfortunately it will put people off, particularly from the poorer part of society where I am where going to university is rare anyway.
OP, I'm not in year 12 or below, but will still be studying when the new fees are in place. I plan to do postgraduate study and that never changed based on fee rises. In fact, I think I might have decide to go postgrad after the fee rise.

Original post by Wenger

I think "right choices" might be the wrong choice of words. How do you know golf management isn't the right choice for Joe Bloggs lol? In all seriousness though, what might not be a "right choice" in your opinion may be a right choice for someone else.
Yep, don't know anyone who isn't.
I dont really have much choice; I want to study Physiotherapy!

But I come from a poor area and we dont have much money, if I dont go to uni i'll never get out of this area and any children I have will be in the same position. Sure its a lot of money, but I'll be paying it off as a percentage of my earnings so it wont be too bad.

Its really just a case of weighing up the pros and cons.
Original post by im so academic
Agreed, and the newspapers will most likely pass it off as "less poor people going to university".

But think about it, generally speaking, those who do Mickey Mouse courses are usually those from poorer-income backgrounds.

Because they don't have the support to be successful when applying for competitive courses... Rich people will still be able to do 'mickey mouse' courses, therefore it is poor people that lose out, even if it is generally less valuable degrees that decrease in numbers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yup :smile:
Was going to be in loads of debt anyway, its got to the point where its just a number, doesnt really mean so much to me anymore.
And I wouldnt give up the oppourtunity of medicine at uni for anything :colondollar:
i still want to go university :yes:
(edited 13 years ago)
It kind of has affected me
i wanted to go to aston,kingston or nottingham
but because of the rise of fees
im going to go to local university
so that my debt wont be that much
at first i was wayyyy excited bout moving out
but now i think i'll just stay at home:frown:
Reply 17
It's interesting how non-representative TSR is; I'm in Y13, but I know a lot of people in real life who are definitely having second thoughts because they're Y12 or below. I'm not sure if I'd be going to uni if the fee increases had come in this year - it's certainly stopped me from taking a year out to think seriously about what I want to do (as I would be doing otherwise, because I'm not 100% sure maths is for me, although that might be last-minute nerves). I'd be looking at taking a year out to learn a language/perfect my German instead, and earn a wage, and then studying abroad with fewer or non-existent tuition fees.
Reply 18
I'll still go. No matter how high the prices go, I'm still going university, after all I won't be paying with my money, it would be the Government's. I'd be taking a loan. Plans are to run out of the country as soon as I complete my degree so I don't have to pay back. :biggrin:
I'm still going to university, but I know that lots of people at school either don't want to go now, or are more hesitant to go, who used to want to. This saddens me, people shouldn't have to reconsider furthering their education because of money :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending