The Student Room Group

Home student or international?

I am in year 12 studying math, bio and chem. I have come to the UK in march 2023 and by the time I finish my a-levels It will be 2 years of me staying here, For getting into a uni am not sure if i will be considered as an international student or a home student and I also want to get a scholarship but dk where or what to apply for or to which uni (I live in london)

Can anyone help me
Original post by mahii786
I am in year 12 studying math, bio and chem. I have come to the UK in march 2023 and by the time I finish my a-levels It will be 2 years of me staying here, For getting into a uni am not sure if i will be considered as an international student or a home student and I also want to get a scholarship but dk where or what to apply for or to which uni (I live in london)

Can anyone help me

Hi Mahil, What is your status in the UK? Where did you live prior to March 2023? Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
I have come with my family on high skill visa which means am dependent if thats what ur asking.
I used to live in Dubai before this.
Hi Mihai,

Are your parents EU or UK nationals? When are you looking to start your course?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Mihai,

Are your parents EU or UK nationals? When are you looking to start your course?

Thanks, Clare

I believe not so as I and my parents hold an Indian passport at the moment. I am currently studying my a-levels right now in year 12 and for a course in university I will be looking for it to start in 2025-2026. I used to study in Dubai from the past 15 years and have recently come here in march 2023 and am not sure that when I get into a uni will i be considered as an international student or for the first few years I will be considered as an international student and then a home student?
I also want to get a scholarship
I believe not so as I and my parents hold an Indian passport at the moment. I am currently studying my a-levels right now in year 12 and for a course in university I will be looking for it to start in 2025-2026. I used to study in Dubai from the past 15 years and have recently come here in march 2023 and am not sure that when I get into a uni will i be considered as an international student or for the first few years I will be considered as an international student and then a home student?

Hi there,

You would need to be in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course and you would need to have an eligible status as well to be able to apply for funding. Will you have Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Thanks, Drew

Hi there. To receive home funding support, students who are not from the EU/UK must meet the residency criteria below;

Have settled status in the UK (Indefinite leave to remain, Indefinite leave to enter, No Time Limit) or Settled Status awarded under the EU Settlement Scheme), this must have been granted before the first day of the first Academic Year of the course

Have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the three years prior to the first day of the first Academic Year of the course. Need to provide Home Office status evidence for this period

Be a resident in England on the first day of the first Academic Year of the course

It would be up to the university if they are classing you as an international student or not. However, based on your information, you wouldn't be eligible to apply for the student loan from us.

Thanks, Leah.
And just to note that SFE won't determine your fee status, only your funding eligibility. International/Home fees is assessed by your uni choices at the point at which you apply.
Original post by Admit-One
And just to note that SFE won't determine your fee status, only your funding eligibility. International/Home fees is assessed by your uni choices at the point at which you apply.

Hi there,

Yes, that's right - if you're asking specifically what your fee status is then this is something that your university will decide. It would be best to check with them directly.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One

ohh guess I will contact the unis then. thank you
Reply 10
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Yes, that's right - if you're asking specifically what your fee status is then this is something that your university will decide. It would be best to check with them directly.

Thanks, Graeme

alr I will definitely get in contact with them. thank you
Reply 11
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

You would need to be in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course and you would need to have an eligible status as well to be able to apply for funding. Will you have Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Thanks, Drew

I will have it after 5 years as right now am on dependent visa
I will have it after 5 years as right now am on dependent visa

Do you know roughly when this will happen? As in, in what year you'll get this?

Thanks, Graeme
ohh guess I will contact the unis then. thank you

UKCISA is a good source of info as well:

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Home-or-Overseas-fees-the-basics
Reply 14
Original post by Graeme SFE
Do you know roughly when this will happen? As in, in what year you'll get this?

Thanks, Graeme

I think between 2028-2029
Hi mahii786,

You would need to hold the status on the first day of the first academic year of your course along with your 3 years residency in the UK. I have provided a link that may help you further with our residency criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending