The Student Room Group

How do I become an estranged student?

I am 16 in year 12 and my home situation is really bad. I am living with an alcoholic who is abusive towards me and my mum. I told social services a few months ago because I wanted to leave and live semi independently with housing. The social worker handling my case told me to wait till university.
I have been thinking about my future a lot recently and I want to leave as soon as I turn 18 or a couple of days before. I have a part time job right now (working full time holidays) so savings and money won't be an issue as I have a year and a half. How do I tell the council or university that I have become estranged and go about with this process?
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
There’s really no way of showing that, unless you actually move out or legally become emancipated from your parents.

As long as you are/were living with your parents, student finance (which you will likely need tor university) will ask for their financial and income details to assess how much to give you. You will be able to explain to them the situation and why you might not want to, need to or be able to provide this information (because you are estranged) but that could potentially make for a longer or more complex process with no guaranteed result (I.e. you might still have to show their info)

A potential reason the social worker may be saying this, is that at 18 you become an adult and that ultimately the council will not be responsible for you (statutorily) because you were not in their care beforehand. And no, because you have a social worker atm does not mean that the council will be responsible for you unless you have a longer history which you’ve not shared. Until you become a “ward of the state” while still a child (i.e. under 18) then there is little statutory support you will receive after 18, included supported housing or other kid e of statutory support.

Some universities will provide additional support for care experiences people, eg. With housing, fees , but they will need proof of social care/worker intervention of this in many instances. Being supported by the council, as a care leader will likely help you get more support from the university.

Best to work your damn hardest at schools and work, save as much money as possible and give yourself the best opportunity you can to follow your dreams and get away. Once your an adult, you have the choice over pretty much everything to do with you life. If you need to leave, then leave

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending