The Student Room Group

Biomedical degree for HCA jobs

Would a biomedical degree be enough to secure a HCA vacancy? What other qualifications would I need? Do I need work experience? Many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dekota-XS
Would a biomedical degree be enough to secure a HCA vacancy? What other qualifications would I need?

Arse wiping level 1
Reply 2
Serious answers please.

Looking on the NHS jobs website, it states that GCSEs are a requirement but nothing else regarding qualifications .. is it possible that they'll reject my application due to being overqualified?
Serious answers please.

Looking on the NHS jobs website, it states that GCSEs are a requirement but nothing else regarding qualifications .. is it possible that they'll reject my application due to being overqualified?

Getting a HCA job is just a numbers game. Apply to as many posts as possible. Having some sort of caring experience would be a plus. You might not be favoured if it's obvious that you're going to be moving on a few months after employment.
Reply 4
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Getting a HCA job is just a numbers game. Apply to as many posts as possible. Having some sort of caring experience would be a plus. You might not be favoured if it's obvious that you're going to be moving on a few months after employment.

Right, much appreciated. I'm one of those people who gets easily frustrated of applying to too many jobs but I'll give it my best try. Many thanks.
Right, much appreciated. I'm one of those people who gets easily frustrated of applying to too many jobs but I'll give it my best try. Many thanks.

Well, don't expect your degree to warrant you a place. You could be a PhD in biomed but it means nothing for the job. You're there to make beds and wash patients. Experience is what they're looking for, not smarts.
Reply 6
I work with HCAs who can barley spell their own name and I also know a few who have degrees and masters. Just depends who else applies for the job and weather your the most suitable candidate. Got nothing to do with qualifications.
Reply 7
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Well, don't expect your degree to warrant you a place. You could be a PhD in biomed but it means nothing for the job. You're there to make beds and wash patients. Experience is what they're looking for, not smarts.

Not at all!! It's not as if I've just come out of university with a degree in my hand and going straight into hospitals to look for a job. After graduation, I've been volunteering at care homes for nearly a year now prior to that looking after my mum for which I get carer's allowance. It just dawned on me today that the amount of voluntary work I'm doing and the work it entails me to do is the same amount of work that a HCA would be doing so I'd be a lot better of if I were getting paid something so that I can start saving up. many thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by anon2010
I work with HCAs who can barley spell their own name and I also know a few who have degrees and masters. Just depends who else applies for the job and weather your the most suitable candidate. Got nothing to do with qualifications.

Yes I understand this

Many thanks for everyones contribution. I just noticed on the person specification sheet for the HCA vacancy I would have applied for is that the person must have access to a car. :frown:
Yes I understand this

Many thanks for everyones contribution. I just noticed on the person specification sheet for the HCA vacancy I would have applied for is that the person must have access to a car. :frown:

Yeah, it sucks. They always ask for access to a car.

When did you get your biomedical science degree and what have you been doing since.
Would a biomedical degree be enough to secure a HCA vacancy? What other qualifications would I need? Do I need work experience? Many thanks

The nurses interviewing you might not take you seriously and ask why you want to wipe arse when you have a degree. They might also resent the fact that you're applying to med school.
It just dawned on me today that the amount of voluntary work I'm doing and the work it entails me to do is the same amount of work that a HCA would be doing so I'd be a lot better of if I were getting paid something so that I can start saving up. many thanks.

Experience is experience. And those who get paid for it have a better experience than most. :biggrin:
Original post by No Future
The nurses interviewing you might not take you seriously and ask why you want to wipe arse when you have a degree. They might also resent the fact that you're applying to med school.

Wipe arse. Lol.
Also, have you had any medicine offers for this year or interviews.
Reply 14

I have never nor do I intend to apply to med school.
Reply 15
Guys, I've never desired to do medicine at all... I did biomedical science because it had modules in the course structure which I really enjoyed studying, especially oncology and immunology.

Nope, the ones who interviewed me were very supportive. They do realise I'll be buggering off the minute the course starts, but they also know I'll be taking the job seriously and working as hard as anyone who wants to make a career out of a HCA.

All you need to do is show you're professional and not just treating as work experience! :smile:
I have never nor do I intend to apply to med school.

So why are you posting on the medicine forum?
Reply 18

No point advertising this at work - some people have a skewed reverse attitude problem.
Reply 19
So why are you posting on the medicine forum?

Because a lot medical applicants have HCA jobs in their gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending