The Student Room Group

4 post-interview rejections!

Is there something wrong with me? I thought it was rare to be rejected on this scale. What the actual heck do I do once I've recovered from my dreams being crushed? Biomedical science, clearing, extra or gap year?

Please help. I honestly tried my absolute hardest this year and my mental health hasn't been great. I don't think I can do it all again.

Please someone wiser than me, help me in my time of need. x

Scroll to see replies

No, nothing is wrong with you. It's a very competitive course. Many people get completely rejected and gave to try a second time. I don't anything about medicine but @Faisal101 is a med applicant who may be able to help you.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ubiquitouslion
Is there something wrong with me? I thought it was rare to be rejected on this scale. What the actual heck do I do once I've recovered from my dreams being crushed? Biomedical science, clearing, extra or gap year?

Please help. I honestly tried my absolute hardest this year and my mental health hasn't been great. I don't think I can do it all again.

It is often a big shock to people who are used to being high achievers to have 4 rejections, but the majority of medicine applicants receive all rejections (usually around 60%, but about 86% last year), so you are certainly not alone and it in no way means you are not good enough or would not make a good Dr, it is just that the competition is fierce and there are more excellent applicants than there are places.

Keep an eye out for places in Extra or Clearing, though they are unlikely, But your key focus now has to be on getting your A level grades, as these are key to everything.

Prioritise your mental health and look after yourself - take a few weeks off from thinking about it, and then decide if medicine is still the thing for you?

If it is, then taking a gap year and reapplying is the shortest, easiest and cheapest route into medicine. You need to put in the prep for your UCAT, as a good score in this opens many doors and also start planning what you are going to do with your gap year - a job that is people-facing, and preferrably with a vulnerable group of people, will be the best option, but some volunteering and a job in retail or hospitality will give you lots of transferable skills.

If you decide medicine is no longer for you, then the world is your oyster.......
(edited 1 year ago)
This is really what I needed to hear. Thank you. I'm just so disappointed because I've gotten over every hurdle but the last one. There's nothing else I see myself doing but medicine, so I might just have another go at it.
Original post by GANFYD
It is often a big shock to people who are used to being high achievers to have 4 rejections, but the majority of medicine applicants receive all rejections (usually around 60%, but about 86% last year), so you are certainly not alone and it in no way means you are not good enough or would not make a good Dr, it is just that the competition is fierce and there are more excellent applicants than there are places.

Keep an eye out for places in Extra or Clearing, though they are unlikely, But your key focus now has to be on getting your A level grades, as these are key to everything.

Prioritise your mental health and look after yourself - take a few weeks off from thinking about it, and then decide if medicine is still the thing for you?

If it is, then taking a gap year and reapplying is the shortest, easiest and cheapest route into medicine. You need to put in the prep for your UCAT, as a good score in this opens many doors and also start planning what you are going to do with your gap year - a job that is people-facing, and preferrably with a vulnerable group of people, will be the best option, but some volunteering and a job in retail or hospitality will give you lots of transferable skills.

If you decide medicine is no longer for you, then the world is your oyster.......
Reply 4
Your outcome is more a judge of just how difficult this system is rather than your character. You're not abnormal
There are still other paths and they're not closed. Take care of yourself first, good A Level grades are next in priority.

Regardless, I'm really sorry to hear this. It's OK to talk/vent to someone about how tough this cycle was because it really does suck the life out of you in multiple steps
Thanks, hopefully he'll see this. I'm not too sure how to use this site.
Original post by Amb/conf
No, nothing is wrong with you. It's a very competitive course. Many people get completely rejected and gave to try a second time. I don't anything about medicine but @Faisal101 is a med applicant who may be able to help you.
Reply 6
This is really what I needed to hear. Thank you. I'm just so disappointed because I've gotten over every hurdle but the last one. There's nothing else I see myself doing but medicine, so I might just have another go at it.

Lick your wounds, eat some chocolate, do some gaming/sport/chat with friends/utilise the support of family - whatever it takes to salve the disappintment you are currently feeling.

Then pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again!!!!

A levels are key, then admissions tests, then come ask for advice about strategic application and then broaden your horizons so you have lots of material to discuss at interview. So many people get multiple offers during their gap year. It is less pressured and you get to earn some money and hopefully have some fun, too!
(edited 1 year ago)

I hearf Something like only 15% of med applicants get even one offer. So I don’t think there’s anything wrong with in this case
Reply 8

Faisal is omnipresent! :lol:
He will turn up soon with his excellent and sensible advice and make you feel better :smile:

Yes, he will. He'll receive a notification, plus he's knows how to use this site well.
Original post by Faisal101
I hearf Something like only 15% of med applicants get even one offer. So I don’t think there’s anything wrong with in this case

We spoke his name......... :lol:
Ok thank you. I'm currently crying, I didn't think strangers on the internet could be so kind.

Original post by Dwyfor
Your outcome is more a judge of just how difficult this system is rather than your character. You're not abnormal
There are still other paths and they're not closed. Take care of yourself first, good A Level grades are next in priority.

Regardless, I'm really sorry to hear this. It's OK to talk/vent to someone about how tough this cycle was because it really does suck the life out of you in multiple steps
Original post by GANFYD
We spoke his name......... :lol:

Credit to @Amb/conf for @ing me
Thanks so much. I'm sure I'll be okay. I don't know what I'd do in my gap year that I haven't already done already though. Is it not just a wasted year of my life?

Original post by GANFYD
Lick your wounds, eat some chocolate, do some gaming/sport/chat with friends/utilise the support of family - whatever it takes to salve the disappintment you are currently feeling.

Then pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again!!!!

A levels are key, then admissions tests, then come ask for advice about strategic application and then broaden your horizons so you have lots of material to discuss at interview. So many people get multiple offers during their gap year. It is less pressured and you get to earn some money adn hoefully have some fun, too!
Credit to @Amb/conf for @ing me

repped
Original post by GANFYD
repped

A ganfyd rep is such a blessing

Omnipresent one,
Do you have any advice for this med reject
Omnipresent one,
Do you have any advice for this med reject

Lemme copy and paste soemthing I said earlier today. It might have some weird Islamic stuff irrelevant to you but still should be very useful
basically I’m on a gap yr currently and have been successful in getting a med offer alhamdulillah. I was speaking with my mum and we both agreed that even if I was unsuccessful in that regard, this gap year has still otherwise been very valuable and beneficial. I despise when people call gap years as a waste of time, or something that makes you behind. Behind what exactly? If you can’t achieve anything non med related in a gap year then that says a lot about you as a person.

A gap year gives you free rein to advance yourself in so many facets, now that you aren’t restrained by school. During this time I have earned thousands of pounds, gained a lot of work experience which will hopefully give me an edge over my med student peers in clinical placements, which cancels out any academic advantage they may have on me, which is mostly irrelevant anyway and from my understanding not as big of a deal as some people who are scared to take a gap year make it seem to be. I have been able to teach children the Quran and about Islam at a madrasah. I have strengthened my hifdh ul quran. I have made a solid start in the Arabic language itself, using the madina arabic textbooks. That does not sound like a waste to me.

i haven’t even mentioned the med application side of it. Having alhamdulillah achieved aaa, I also massively improved my ucat from 2670 to 3040, and this is because I knew what to expect and where I went wrong, and I had a stronger motivation. I had way more time to do interview prep, using predominantly r/ucat discord server. I secured 4 interviews and have been accepted to med skl.

if I were you, I’d hustle and get aaa at least, no excuses. Work hard, don’t complain, don’t moan that you aren’t good enough to get aaa. Secure a hca job via nhs jobs or indeed as soon as you finish a levels. If you want more advice on why hca is important I can copy and paste something i said to someone else. Spend 2 months on u at so you can get a high score and get 4 interviews. If it’s below 2850 do Bmat and apply to a bmat uni. Start interview prep maybe 3 hours a week, then 2 weeks leading up to each real interview do a mock a day. Do your hobbies simultaneous to work and int prep.

Edit: in my gap year I have also been able to focus on the gym. I have also restarted karate after a 7 year hiatus
Thanks so much. I'm sure I'll be okay. I don't know what I'd do in my gap year that I haven't already done already though. Is it not just a wasted year of my life?

It so totally isn't, and may turn out to be the best thing you have done!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7209108

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending