The Student Room Group

Nuclear Power: Join the Debate?

I just downloaded this app called NukeFinder last week Friday. It's available here for FREE: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id429179099?mt=8

It basically tells you how far you live from a nuclear power station, and pinpoints exactly where it is on the map. Now, I wanted to ask the opinion of my fellow students here in the UK, after finding out where the power station is, do you still feel the same? Do you somehow feel safer or more scared? I would like to know it makes for great reading in a psychology dissertation.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd be happy to live right next to one.
I live near Dungeness, less than 20 miles away in fact, and have been aware of this for as long as I can remember. It's kind of hard to miss a huge nuclear power plant on the flat landscape of Romney Marshes.

I'm not in the least bit worried about the nuclear plant. Actually the only bad thing I have to say about it is that it's pretty scruffy and they could give it a clean, demolish some of the derelict outbuildings and in general make it look nice, because Dungeness is a very special landscape that's close to my heart. It's all going to be decommissioned soon anyway and won't see a replacement plant built nearby or on the same spot, but rather slowly cleaned up over the next 100 years (scheduled to finish decommissioning in 2111)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
It would barely come into consideration to where I live, except maybe if it was on my doorstep.
Reply 4
Couldn't care less to be honest. Although I must confess, I would be happy to wake up tomorrow and find planning permission to have one built in my town - too many people in my town how a days - they should piss off else where.
Reply 5
Original post by Mad Vlad

This tbh.

UK nuclear power plants have a different cooling system to the ones in Fukushima anyway so what happened there could never happen here. (Ithink)
Reply 6
Original post by Aj12
This tbh.

UK nuclear power plants have a different cooling system to the ones in Fukushima anyway so what happened there could never happen here. (Ithink)

Absolutely right. The cooling mechanism used in the 1960s plants in Fukushima no longer exist in modern power plants - the technology just isn't used any more. It is instead replaced by a brilliant system which cools down the reactor using normal air.
Reply 7
Original post by Teaddict
Absolutely right. The cooling mechanism used in the 1960s plants in Fukushima no longer exist in modern power plants - the technology just isn't used any more. It is instead replaced by a brilliant system which cools down the reactor using normal air.

Interesting Avatar
Reply 8
Economically, it's brilliant living right near one. I used to work for the company that owns Sellafield and I know that it's also the biggest employer in Cumbria, without it, the town I live in would be dead, without Sellafield and BAE Systems, the hole county would be dead.
Edit point taken about nuclear.
Better now?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
This tbh.

I think more to the point is that fact that Sellafield isn't know for it's high tsunami risk :tongue:
I'm really pro-nuclear, with the right precautions it's our best bet for meeting our rapidly rising energy demands. A lot of the resistance to it is a lack of public education, many people still think of nuclear power plants as spewing fluorescent green radioactive waste into rivers and regularly having meltdowns.

lol why
Original post by blueray

To be honest the above looks much better and greener than the below
(thats nuclear btw)

Except that nuclear power doesn't consume vast areas of the Earth in order to be useful (solar, tidal, hydroelectric, wave and biomass all require HUGE swathes of land/sea to be devoted solely to energy production to produce energy at even a fraction of the efficiency of a modern fission plant) can be used everywhere (geothermal, wind and hydroelectric power are very location-specific) and the fuel can be almost completely recycled.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by blueray

To be honest the above looks much better and greener than the below

(thats nuclear btw)

Yes, except it takes up more space and generates only about 1/50th of the power of a nuclear plant. And the second picture is just of a fire in Japan, which is completely unrelated to the nuclear reactor there. I hope to god you were trolling.
Original post by KissMyArtichoke

Original post by KissMyArtichoke
Yes, except it takes up more space and generates only about 1/50th of the power of a nuclear plant. And the second picture is just of a fire in Japan, which is completely unrelated to the nuclear reactor there. I hope to god you were trolling.

It was this
424 × 302 - Japan Nuclear Meltdown. Operators at the Fukushima Daiichi plant's Unit 1 source
onlineusanews.com

I hope to god you get your facts right. Oh wait I see fact not fiction! :teehee:
Reply 16
:s-smilie:Sorry but the risk of leakages from power plants and the waste scares me. Radiation is no joke. I don't want my future kids to end up with extra limbs if there is a big explosion if the residues end up in drinking water!
Original post by loquita

Original post by loquita
:s-smilie:Sorry but the risk of leakages from power plants and the waste scares me. Radiation is no joke. I don't want my future kids to end up with extra limbs if there is a big explosion if the residues end up in drinking water!

Yeah I wont post the image but here is the link to all the sceptics
http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=933&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=deformed+nuclear+childern&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=
Original post by loquita

1. Waste from UK power plants is practically all reprocessed for future use as fuel.

2. There has been one serious incident in a British nuclear facility - Windscale back in '57, back when we were still starting out. In contrast our use of fossil fuels has potentially caused tens of thousands of deaths, especially in the 50s before the Clean Air Act, due to atmospheric pollution, and many more due to conflicts in oil-rich parts of the world such as the Niger Delta where Shell has basically been funding the government and actually been held responsible for several massacres.

3. Even the aftermath of Chernobyl - the only total, catastrophic meltdown to date -only a few thousand died and those were mostly from the failure of the Soviet authorities to prevent the consumption of contaminated foods. The "scaretistics" of potentially hundreds of thousands or even millions of deaths due to the Chernobyl radiation are frankly completely wrong and have never been verified by any serious authority on the matter.
Reply 19

That was gross, :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending