The Student Room Group

David Cameron is a muppet.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I didn't have Cameron as a Guardian guy. I bet he regrets reading that article now!
Original post by kevin6767
I have to agree with you. Yes more needs to be done to help people from lower socio-economic background with the potential to do well, IMO not just those whose families are on benefits and not just those from ethnic minorities, but all poorer people. Universities are by definition institutions of academia and have a duty to try and attract the best they can. The problems are in the comprehensive education system, family attitudes towards education and resources etc. People should be judged on merit. Positive or negative discrimination is still discrimination. I find it wrong that people are still told they can go here or there, do this or that based on their skin colour.

Well, I do not disagree that more should be done to help students from lower-income families, but do not think it is going to easy.

Just compare the educational disadvantages a poor state comprehensive pupil has with one who was educated at a top public school with an excellent home life. (Don't shoot me on this, I know exceptions apply, people come comprehensives go to Oxbridge etc...)

But you have go to be honest, do you really think a poor pupil has the same educational circumstances with a rich pupil?
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay

Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
Ouch! How long did it take you to come up with that gem? :rolleyes:

Lol ouch! The sarcasm stings :rolleyes: - haha I won't lie it was lame and I couldn't think of a way to rephrase it better without taking too much time, but it makes the point I think. Anyway I'm sure there are many people who thinks he's wonderful.
Reply 23
People should be judged on merit. Positive or Negative discrimination is still discrimination

What about this study which shows that if you are from a comprehensive school your degree attainment will be higher than someone with the same grades from a private or grammar school? Is discrimination justified then?

I agree with you that race is completely irrelevant here - just with regards to the discrimination comment.

EDIT: this would have been a better response to the next reply you made below.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Evangelica
Irrespective of this (because this is clearly just Cameron trying to appear to care) he is an idiot. Remember when he said "Too many tweets make a ****?" he should have just replaced the first four words with "I'm a" would have been perfect

Why would he say 'I'm a a ****'?
Reply 25
Original post by nexttime
I didn't have Cameron as a Guardian guy. I bet he regrets reading that article now!

I'd imagine he has someone who tells him the gist of the papers?
No I don't think the educational circumstances are the same and I agree it wont be easy but the state needs to improve. But at the same time I don't believe a university should just accept someone simply because they have had a hard life. I speak from the point of view of someone who comes from a lower socio-economic home (both my parents are cleaners and we live in a council house) and if a university accepted me on the basis of my background I would find it highly insulting. I think extending bursary and scholarship schemes is a far better way of showing people that could be put off going to university by cost is brilliant idea and more info needs to be made available on that front, so people aren't put off on that front. I believe that would help significantly; particularly educating the parents on these matters as they may try to put their children off the idea of university because of cost. I also think that rolling out more extensive access schemes would be a good idea. I know Leeds, York and Cambridge in particular have access schemes which take into account background and extenuating circumstances. Students are given extra help, may qualify for more financial support and offers can be altered. I shall end my rant now :tongue:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2011/111503.html
http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_releases_for_journalists/110315_1.html

:smile:
Reply 27
I know Cambridge, York and Leeds offer access schemes which take into account extenuating circumstances surrounding attainment, and applying through one of these schemes can mean that once you are assessed they may offer entry requirements to you a grade or two below their normal requirement. That isn't discrimination it is assessment of potential and I think more schemes like that are needed. I also know that Durham University offer a points system when assessing applicants. If you went to a crap school they allocate more points and they ask for more information and assess your application a different way. If you have a certain level of points they some times interview or ask for more information surrounding your individual case. There are ways around blanket discrimination and it needs to be based on individual assessment.

er... if making lower offers and giving you extra 'points' is not positive discrimination then what on earth is!!??

EDIT: plus Oxford does have similar schemes as well, i should say, plus possibly the most generous financial support available for those that need it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Why must people turn everything into a labour vs Tory situation? You can never accept it when people say something mildly negative against Cameron. Which is just silly. Realise that people have different political views to you, don't fight it just accept it. Debate about policies sure, but allow people to critise one party without getting all pissy.

Not true. Criticsm of Cameron is perfectly acceptable in some cases. But it verges on bashing most of the time, in an effort for people to try and be cool and edgy and it really does annoy me.

And it is a party thing. 9/10 Criticsms of Cameron come from Labour supporters and are levelled at him because he is Tory. Of course it's a Party thing.
Original post by Gallant Megapenthes

Original post by Gallant Megapenthes
Why would he say 'I'm a a ****'?

Lol why would he say "Too many tweets make a ****?" Well to seem like one of the people I suppose actually. And LOL he wouldn't but at least if he said that some truth would have escaped his lips.
Reply 30
Since when did a Tory leader become a moral crusader for black people?
Reply 31
Original post by Steevee
Not true. Criticsm of Cameron is perfectly acceptable in some cases. But it verges on bashing most of the time, in an effort for people to try and be cool and edgy and it really does annoy me.

And it is a party thing. 9/10 Criticsms of Cameron come from Labour supporters and are levelled at him because he is Tory. Of course it's a Party thing.

But every time someone slates a Tory on here, one is guaranteed to reply with 'well yeah, but Labour did this!!'. It's just unnecessary, if we bash the Cameron you could at least reply with why we are wrong, rather than just bring it into a 'my party is better than your party' type of thing. :u:
I'm pretty sure the proportion of conservative (and other) MPs from ethnic minorities is significantly worse than the proportion of Oxford students from ethnic minorities. I'd be interested to see ethnicity statistics for employees of the conservative party, too.
Reply 34
Original post by SophiaKeuning
But every time someone slates a Tory on here, one is guaranteed to reply with 'well yeah, but Labour did this!!'. It's just unnecessary, if we bash the Cameron you could at least reply with why we are wrong, rather than just bring it into a 'my party is better than your party' type of thing. :u:

Well, they are :wink:

And as I said, it's a stupid dig at him with no basis for refuting. He got a figure wrong, and suddenly everyone is running to call him a muppet.
Reply 35
Original post by LtCommanderData
I'm pretty sure the proportion of conservative (and other) MPs from ethnic minorities is significantly worse than the proportion of Oxford students from ethnic minorities. I'd be interested to see ethnicity statistics for employees of the conservative party, too.

Genius- like it...would really enjoy seeing Cameron (or any politician for that matter) trying to respond in a way that didn't undermine their own argument.
Original post by bcrazy
Genius- like it...would really enjoy seeing Cameron (or any politician for that matter) trying to respond in a way that didn't undermine their own argument.

Cameron and his coalition is toast(especially Nick Clegg). Governing through painful austerity and making stupid neo-Hoover-esque decisions to cut spending in the middle of a recession will come back to bite him.
Reply 37
Original post by nexttime

That be a Guardian, I think. He's a man of the people, on the tube and everything.

:p:
Original post by Potiron

That be a Guardian, I think. He's a man of the people, on the tube and everything.

Where are the hordes of commuters crushing him against the door? Bears only a cursory resemblance to the tube, to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending