The Student Room Group

GCSE Revision Hours

I'm in year 11 and I have 12 exams from May to June. My Easter Holiday just started and I was wondering how many hours of revision should I be doing every day? Is 4 hours a day too much? (obviously not 4 hours straight) I've made a revision timetable but I just need to know how many hours of revision I should be doing without overloading

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HelloGoodbye
I'm in year 11 and I have 12 exams from May to June. My Easter Holiday just started and I was wondering how many hours of revision should I be doing every day? Is 4 hours a day too much? (obviously not 4 hours straight) I've made a revision timetable but I just need to know how many hours of revision I should be doing without overloading

You should know how many you need to do. What grades are you at now and what grades do you want?
Reply 2
My teacher gave me the advice of spending the Easter period as though it is school. That means working for at least 6 hours per day with short breaks in between as if it is a normal school day. Also, you should revise one topic/subject for at least an hour or more, before taking a short break.
I'm gonna do 5-6 hours per day I reckon:

wake up at 7, start work at 7:30, work 3 hours, 1 hour break, work 1 hour, 1 hour lunch break, work 2 hours and then play for the rest of the day

at least that's what I aim to do
Have you started any revision yet? How many exams do you have to do? Have you already done some modules? What are your grades like? What grades do you need? This is all info we could do with knowing before being able to help properly, however 4 hours per day sounds reasonable providing you stick to it.

The important thing to remember is that, while you might have to give up on going out as much as you usually might in a holiday, your summer will be HUGE, so plenty of time to make up for it. In 2 and a bit months, you'll have finished all of your exams and will be able to chill out for over 3 months; it's worth putting the time in now, as it's only a couple more weeks out of the rest of your life. :smile:
Reply 5
Aim to do as much as possible really, your friends might be doing less or more, but better safe then sorry :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Gemma :)!
Have you started any revision yet? How many exams do you have to do? Have you already done some modules? What are your grades like? What grades do you need? This is all info we could do with knowing before being able to help properly, however 4 hours per day sounds reasonable providing you stick to it.

I've started some revision, i've been doing some maths and a bit of RE. I have 12 exams - English Paper 1 + Paper 2, French Reading + Listening, Citizenship, Literature, RE, Maths Calculator + Non Calc, Biology, Sociology and Geography. These are all the last modules except English + Literature where I haven't done any modules, only coursework. My grades are generally As, A*s as my final grades would be brilliant but i'm happy with As.
Reply 7
thats ****ing loads i did at most 1 hour a day and got 2a*, 3 a, 6 b and 1 c
and now im at uni :smile:

but seriously we were told to do 2 hours a day, 2 subjects a day..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
I am in year 11, and at my school, we were told that try not to use this holiday to play as such. In my opinion, being a nerd I definitely agree, i have 16 exams D: so i know i need to revise loads. And anyways, after the exams, we have two months of no school B) i would definitely use this holiday to do as much revision as possible.

Also, bearing in mind, after the easter holidays, there is only about 3 weeks back at school afterwards, and then straight after is the exams. if you want to do well, your own effort counts aswell.

Good luck 8)
Reply 9
I reckon 4 hours is not enough. You should be doing around 5/6 hours - spread it out throughout the day so it becomes simple. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Rob9292
thats ****ing loads i did at most 1 hour a day and got 2a*, 3 a, 6 b and 1 c
and now im at uni :smile:

but seriously we were told to do 2 hours a day, 2 subjects a day..

just saying how it was for me, no need for the negs guys......
Well I wouldn't measure it in hours for a start. Far too big a unit.
Reply 12
I would say do as much as possible, don't wanna look back and think you could of got a better grade with more revision.
I have 22 exams....and I'm only doing about 20min like reading a day. Got Straight As and A*s in my mocks though.
Reply 14
Original post by MinorDisaster
I have 22 exams....and I'm only doing about 20min like reading a day. Got Straight As and A*s in my mocks though.

woah, how do you have 22 exams? D:

IMO: you should do as much as you possibly so that you know you have tried your hardest (8
Reply 15
I have 9 exams coming up for May&June, and im doing 1hour a day everyday for different subjects.. like monday is english, tuesday is maths.. etc... Seems to work for me but everyone's different. Plus, you dont want to over-stress yourself :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by becilouise
I have 9 exams coming up for May&June, and im doing 1hour a day everyday for different subjects.. like monday is english, tuesday is maths.. etc... Seems to work for me but everyone's different. Plus, you dont want to over-stress yourself :biggrin:

HOW DO YOU HAVE ONLY NINE?!?! FML! that is quite good idea - however i just get too bored with revising the same thing for one day. a good website is http://getrevising.co.uk/timetable from using it, i have covered a whole wall with revision posters :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Articaaa
HOW DO YOU HAVE ONLY NINE?!?! FML! that is quite good idea - however i just get too bored with revising the same thing for one day. a good website is http://getrevising.co.uk/timetable from using it, i have covered a whole wall with revision posters :biggrin:

Yeah, i thought i had it bad till i came on here:') and well you can change your subjects through the day; i find it easier to know what i need to revise in the day... & thanks, thats been helpful :biggrin:
Thanks guys, I haven't managed 4 hours of revision yet, the most I've revised in 1 day was 2hrs and 45 mins so I really need to stop procastinating.
I used to revise by copying my notes out and making revision cards and posters, but I get really bored now and have music playing whilst im revising, do you think it's more effective? I don't get very distracted but my friend told me she listens to music whilst revising and I thought she was crazy but it doesn't seem much of a distraction. I just hope my grades don't drop.
Thanks guys, I haven't managed 4 hours of revision yet, the most I've revised in 1 day was 2hrs and 45 mins so I really need to stop procastinating.
I used to revise by copying my notes out and making revision cards and posters, but I get really bored now and have music playing whilst im revising, do you think it's more effective? I don't get very distracted but my friend told me she listens to music whilst revising and I thought she was crazy but it doesn't seem much of a distraction. I just hope my grades don't drop.

Quick Reply

Latest