The Student Room Group

2012 - veterinary re-applicants

Scroll to see replies

RVC don't usually accept more than one re-application, not just one application
Reply 101
10mins in to lambing this morning and I got to bring a lamb into the big wide world...then a calf shortly after! Happy days :biggrin: Lunch break and then back to work :smile:

Original post by jacko111
Yes how wrong is that!! If you have been good enough to get an interview at Nottingham, you are then penalised for applying again!!! Given that they interview approx 400 for 100 places, thats really unfair. They are the only uni that do that!:angry:

I agree that it's quite unfair in that there is a chance you will have vastly improved by the next year but...I'm not sure that they are wrong in doing things this way, in my opinion. If you were good enough to get an interview the first time round then they must have thought your application was one of the best, so if they've not given an offer afterwards then maybe that person isn't the type of person for their course? I don't think that an applicant is being penalised for being a reapplicant but that Nottingham don't think they are the right candidate for their university. Just my opinion :s-smilie:
Reply 102
Original post by totallyme
10mins in to lambing this morning and I got to bring a lamb into the big wide world...then a calf shortly after! Happy days :biggrin: Lunch break and then back to work :smile:

I agree that it's quite unfair in that there is a chance you will have vastly improved by the next year but...I'm not sure that they are wrong in doing things this way, in my opinion. If you were good enough to get an interview the first time round then they must have thought your application was one of the best, so if they've not given an offer afterwards then maybe that person isn't the type of person for their course? I don't think that an applicant is being penalised for being a reapplicant but that Nottingham don't think they are the right candidate for their university. Just my opinion :s-smilie:

Yes BUT the year may have been different, for example this year there has been an increase of 20% in apps this year due to the imminent fee changes and those that did not get in last year. If you are "one of the best" to get an interview" you should be given another chance to improve.. you could have just had a bad day! So sorry have to disagree with you:frown:
Original post by elli4
ahh cheers panicked me for a minute there lol :s-smilie:, yeah i found out the hard way with Nottingham this year as i didn't look at the website closely enough and being a 2nd time app didn't bother to get any prospectuses, but the told me in January after filling in the questionnaire! I though i read somewhere that RVC don't usually consider more than one applications? x

really they left it a bit late lol :eek:, havent heard that about the RVC, i would say email and ask but theyre taking ages to get back with feedback, not even an email saying theyll tell me later on like the other unis :s-smilie: tbh i dont think illl be reapplying there anyway..

im going lambing again on thursday, soo excited :biggrin:
Reply 105
Yes BUT the year may have been different, for example this year there has been an increase of 20% in apps this year due to the imminent fee changes and those that did not get in last year. If you are "one of the best" to get an interview" you should be given another chance to improve.. you could have just had a bad day! So sorry have to disagree with you:frown:

Disagreement leads to better understanding, I think :smile: I do agree though that if an applicant has an off day their performance at interview wouldn't be their best or possibly wouldn't show what they know/can do etc BUT these interviewers, I'd guess, have been doing this for years and can tell that and take that into account, I'm sure there must be some people that had a bad day but got an offer. Also, as a vet, you are going to have bad days and have to be able to be professional, recall all the knowledge of your experience and teaching and voice this in the appropriate way...not all that different from an interview...so in my opinion "a bad day" should never really have any affect on the decision of the panel.

In regards to the increase in applications, I'm not sure where you got your figures from but I'm not sure how there could be an increase in 20% :s-smilie: It's something I've seen said before here but never really understood. Obviously, more people will want to go to university to avoid the fees but where have the extra 20% come from? Just wondering :smile:

That aside...I don't think that the change in numbers should change anything...the "cream of the crop" are picked for interview and then you have a chance to show your stuff. Surely, despite the increase in applications, the numbers interviewed stay the same? Therefore meaning that you have the same chance as any year previously (at the interview) and those that didn't get an interview can apply again, the same as before?

Original post by moon_shine
im going lambing again on thursday, soo excited :biggrin:

I'm lambing all this week, it's definitely the best experience I've been on so far :biggrin: But then again I say that every time :tongue: Brought 2 lovely lambs into the world today, best feeling ever! :biggrin:
In regards to the increase in applications, I'm not sure where you got your figures from but I'm not sure how there could be an increase in 20% :s-smilie: It's something I've seen said before here but never really understood. Obviously, more people will want to go to university to avoid the fees but where have the extra 20% come from? Just wondering :smile:

That aside...I don't think that the change in numbers should change anything...the "cream of the crop" are picked for interview and then you have a chance to show your stuff. Surely, despite the increase in applications, the numbers interviewed stay the same? Therefore meaning that you have the same chance as any year previously (at the interview) and those that didn't get an interview can apply again, the same as before?

I think were the increase has come from is people who would have taken a gap year/deferred entry/done something else for a year etc etc have applied this year rather that next year to avoid the fee increase. Meaning that normally you will have some people applying who have already taken gap years etc plus the people who are leaving school this year. Whereas this time round you have had all that, plus the people who would have maybe otherwise taken a year out.

Which means that in all more people have applied. It depends then how the number of people are picked for interview/offers. If it is the top 40% interviewed, for example, then this year that would be more people than last year - but there aren't actually more offers to give out. So the chance of them then getting an offer would be lower, so in reality you would have to score higher to get a offer than people prehaps did last year, or will do next year. Which seems unfortunate, that any other year someone would prehaps have been good enough for an offer, but not this year.
Hey guys, I was just reading about a vet who was called out to deliver a breech calf, but got there to find that "the calf was backwards but not breech" (or words to that effect). Can anyone clarify - is breech only when the back legs are underneath the body and the tail/rump comes out first? What would you call it then if, as in this case, the calf is backwards with the hind legs coming out first? I hope that's not a really stupid question. D:
Original post by Judas the Prude
Hey guys, I was just reading about a vet who was called out to deliver a breech calf, but got there to find that "the calf was backwards but not breech" (or words to that effect). Can anyone clarify - is breech only when the back legs are underneath the body and the tail/rump comes out first? What would you call it then if, as in this case, the calf is backwards with the hind legs coming out first? I hope that's not a really stupid question. D:

I assume it is the same as in lambing :smile:

Backwards is where the lamb (calf) is coming out back legs first. Whereas breech is where is the back end of the animal which is present (both legs are tucked back under the abdomen, pointing towards the shoulders). People sometimes refer to 'half breech' where there is one back leg present, with one tucked back.

Part of the problem with breech is that nothing of the animal will start to protrude, whereas if the animal is just coming backwards you will normally see one or two back legs starting to show and realise that is it backwards. With a true breech birth nothing else will be able to come out, sometimes you may see the water bag, but this can often burst in the birth canal. Therefore it can be really easy to miss the early stages of a breech presentation. The person observing needs to realise that the animal will not be able to give birth itself, and not just that it needs a bit more time. Generally speaking when you put your hand in you will just be able to feel the rounded back end of the animal, and sometimes a tail. It can be surprisingly easy to get this confused and think that a lamb has its head bent back and that it is the chest that you are feeling - so generally you want to try and find "teeth or tail" to work out what malpresentation it is.

The confusion comes about because often people will refer say that the lamb/calf was breech, when is was actually just 'backwards' as opposed to being a 'true breech', with no legs presented. Breech is obviously more of a problem, as like I said above, it can be harder to even realise parturition has started, unless you are being very observant. But it can also be much more difficult to correct. Backwards, with both legs out, generally just needs a bit of a wiggle and pull, and out it will pop. Whereas breech tends to occur due to lack of space for the animal to extend its legs (large single, triplets etc), so for this reason there will also be a lack of space for you to correct it. It will not come out until both legs have been extended, but this can be hard to do, esp without breaking/dislocating joints.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Judas the Prude

Well Kookabura's answer is pretty hard to compete with. But if you want to read more about lambing I enjoyed this website, it outlines the most common birth complications. But no where near as detailed as Kookabura did.

http://www.sheepscreek.com/rural/lambing.html

I'm reapplying too, sniff (third time) sniff. Going to move to Loughborough in early October this year, so sadly that gives me little time to get more work experience in England before reapplying, but hopefully enough time to plan some more :biggrin:
Reply 110
Original post by kookabura
I think were the increase has come from is people who would have taken a gap year/deferred entry/done something else for a year etc etc have applied this year rather that next year to avoid the fee increase. Meaning that normally you will have some people applying who have already taken gap years etc plus the people who are leaving school this year. Whereas this time round you have had all that, plus the people who would have maybe otherwise taken a year out.

Which means that in all more people have applied. It depends then how the number of people are picked for interview/offers. If it is the top 40% interviewed, for example, then this year that would be more people than last year - but there aren't actually more offers to give out. So the chance of them then getting an offer would be lower, so in reality you would have to score higher to get a offer than people prehaps did last year, or will do next year. Which seems unfortunate, that any other year someone would prehaps have been good enough for an offer, but not this year.

Definitely agree with you that those that may have not gone straight into education may have reconsidered. However, could that really account for a 20% increase in applicants? It seems rather high :s-smilie: I live in the countryside and this might be why I don't think this is true, where I live hardly anyone decides to take a gap year etc. I think in my year only one girl decided that she would like to take a gap year...and reconsidered in January.

It be interesting to know as well if the universities take a percentage of applicants on to interview, or if they have a specific target number. Doubt the universities would say though :smile:
Reply 111
Definitely agree with you that those that may have not gone straight into education may have reconsidered. However, could that really account for a 20% increase in applicants? It seems rather high :s-smilie: I live in the countryside and this might be why I don't think this is true, where I live hardly anyone decides to take a gap year etc. I think in my year only one girl decided that she would like to take a gap year...and reconsidered in January.

It be interesting to know as well if the universities take a percentage of applicants on to interview, or if they have a specific target number. Doubt the universities would say though :smile:

Yes you forgot to add in the 200,000 applicants who did not get a place at uni last year and so had to reapply this year! This was because many unis had no places left in clearing including most of the russel group unis. Applicants rose last year whilst the number of places available fell hence the huge number who did not get in last year. :smile::smile::frown:
Reply 112
Original post by moon_shine
really they left it a bit late lol :eek:, havent heard that about the RVC, i would say email and ask but theyre taking ages to get back with feedback, not even an email saying theyll tell me later on like the other unis :s-smilie: tbh i dont think illl be reapplying there anyway..

Ahh yeah i just looked on the rvc website, they allow 2 applications but i don't want to do the bmat if i can help it, I haven't had any feedback either :mad:
Reply 113
Yes you forgot to add in the 200,000 applicants who did not get a place at uni last year and so had to reapply this year! This was because many unis had no places left in clearing including most of the russel group unis. Applicants rose last year whilst the number of places available fell hence the huge number who did not get in last year. :smile::smile::frown:

Yeah, I suppose it could be due to an increase in reapplicants or something. Ah well, we may never know for sure :rolleyes:

Lambing day 2...semi success...one lamb but a dead ewe (unrelated) :frown: another farmer said I could get more experience with him after I'd done this week (he's got the ewes that are lambing twins and triplets on the same farm) AND lab work experience SORTED, woop! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by elli4
Ahh yeah i just looked on the rvc website, they allow 2 applications but i don't want to do the bmat if i can help it, I haven't had any feedback either :mad:

yeah dont want to do the bmat and i dont really want to go to london cos its expensive haha :smile:
Reply 115
Heyy, thought I'd join in!

I'm Fiona from Leeds, this is my 2nd application. Had 3 interviews last year (and put on glasgow waiting list) so clearly not great at selling myself face-to-face! haha, anyway ill be reapplying to glasgow, liverpool, bristol and possibly edinburgh i think.

Lookign forward to my gap year: im spending October training camels in the French Pyraneese and hopefully travelling from April onwards...so definately trying to fund it from Nov to March. Obvoiusly bits of work experience inbetween and im also doing that Askham Bryan course in August so maybe see one or two of you there :smile:)
Reply 116
Original post by u04kipfi0

Lookign forward to my gap year: im spending October training camels in the French Pyraneese and hopefully travelling from April onwards...so definately trying to fund it from Nov to March. Obvoiusly bits of work experience inbetween and im also doing that Askham Bryan course in August so maybe see one or two of you there :smile:)

Hi! :smile:

Bit in bold sounds SO COOL! How did you find that? What does training camels involve? :s-smilie: Bet it'll be fantastic!
Reply 117
Original post by u04kipfi0
Heyy, thought I'd join in!

I'm Fiona from Leeds, this is my 2nd application. Had 3 interviews last year (and put on glasgow waiting list) so clearly not great at selling myself face-to-face! haha, anyway ill be reapplying to glasgow, liverpool, bristol and possibly edinburgh i think.

that sounds pretty awesome!!
I'm doing the Aksham Bryan course too... :smile: have no idea how i'm going to get there though! :s-smilie: (I live in Devon!)
Reply 118
Original post by jayy...(:
that sounds pretty awesome!!
I'm doing the Aksham Bryan course too... :smile: have no idea how i'm going to get there though! :s-smilie: (I live in Devon!)

Woah bit of a trek! luckily I'm at least in the same county!
Reply 119
Hi! :smile:

Bit in bold sounds SO COOL! How did you find that? What does training camels involve? :s-smilie: Bet it'll be fantastic!

was just on the internet, they take students for EMS but also gap year students so thought id give it a whirl! im not sure whats involved but its all about animal behaviour and they use clicker training and various other things too... sounded like fun so got in touch haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending