The Student Room Group

Re-applying via UCAS

I finished school this year and got my A Level results

I would like to apply now for 2024, but deferred to 2025. So start uni 2025.

I can see that 2024 applications are open. Do I need to get my school to approve it? Is the buzzword enough? Who verifies that the grades I input are valid?

Thanks!
Original post by Nicholson1882
I finished school this year and got my A Level results

I would like to apply now for 2024, but deferred to 2025. So start uni 2025.

I can see that 2024 applications are open. Do I need to get my school to approve it? Is the buzzword enough? Who verifies that the grades I input are valid?

Thanks!

The role of your school is to (a) provide predicted grades - which isn't relevant in your case, and (b) to provide an academic reference. So yes, you should use you school's buzzword to link your application to your school.

It it your responsibility to enter your A level results accurately. Universities will rely on that information being accurate, and will make offers on the basis that it is accurate. Around this time next year they will ask you to provide evidence of your qualifications, in the form of scans/photos of your exam certificates. (It goes without saying that the evidence will need to match what you entered into UCAS.)
Original post by DataVenia
The role of your school is to (a) provide predicted grades - which isn't relevant in your case, and (b) to provide an academic reference. So yes, you should use you school's buzzword to link your application to your school.

It it your responsibility to enter your A level results accurately. Universities will rely on that information being accurate, and will make offers on the basis that it is accurate. Around this time next year they will ask you to provide evidence of your qualifications, in the form of scans/photos of your exam certificates. (It goes without saying that the evidence will need to match what you entered into UCAS.)

Understood, thanks very much. I already finished the reference for my previous application last year. When I enter the buzzword, will it input that reference?

Thank you very much for your help.
Understood, thanks very much. I already finished the reference for my previous application last year. When I enter the buzzword, will it input that reference?

Thank you very much for your help.

You use the phrase "I already finished the reference", suggesting that the reference is something which you provide. It is not. It is something which your school provides as part of the process. (When you submit your application to UCAS, they send a message to your school asking that they attached a reference and provide predicted grades.) Perhaps you're thinking of your personal statement?

Your school will be asked to provide an academic reference again - UCAS won't automatically use the previous one. Your school will have the original, so they could just copy and paste it. Or you could suggest that they update it given that it's now likely a year old.

The same applies to your personal statement. You can just re-use the same one, or tweak it a bit. (UCAS know that you're the same person as last year, so re-using it won't trigger a plagiarism issue.)
Original post by DataVenia
You use the phrase "I already finished the reference", suggesting that the reference is something which you provide. It is not. It is something which your school provides as part of the process. (When you submit your application to UCAS, they send a message to your school asking that they attached a reference and provide predicted grades.) Perhaps you're thinking of your personal statement?

Your school will be asked to provide an academic reference again - UCAS won't automatically use the previous one. Your school will have the original, so they could just copy and paste it. Or you could suggest that they update it given that it's now likely a year old.

The same applies to your personal statement. You can just re-use the same one, or tweak it a bit. (UCAS know that you're the same person as last year, so re-using it won't trigger a plagiarism issue.)

Got it, many thanks. I was referring to the reference, by finish I meant that my teacher showed it to me and I said it was good.

Would you recommend I let the school know that I’ve reapplied and ask them to use the reference they have in their records?

That’d mean the plan going forward is to apply now deferred, entering the grades I got in my A-Level and EPQ. Include the school buzzword. Then let the school know I’ve applied so they send it off with the reference. When I accept my offer (hopefully) this time next year, I’ll send the unis my certificates.

many thanks!
Reply 5
I finished school this year and got my A Level resultsI would like to apply now for 2024, but deferred to 2025. So start uni 2025. I can see that 2024 applications are open. Do I need to get my school to approve it? Is the buzzword enough? Who verifies that the grades I input are valid? Thanks!
You will get certificates for your results sent out in the post and you can apply now or closer to the time it’s completely up to you and you will have to get the new buzzword for the year your applying
Original post by Anniree
You will get certificates for your results sent out in the post and you can apply now or closer to the time it’s completely up to you and you will have to get the new buzzword for the year your applying

Great, many thanks. But other than that is what I wrote out ok, in terms of how to apply?
Got it, many thanks. I was referring to the reference, by finish I meant that my teacher showed it to me and I said it was good.

Would you recommend I let the school know that I’ve reapplied and ask them to use the reference they have in their records?

That’d mean the plan going forward is to apply now deferred, entering the grades I got in my A-Level and EPQ. Include the school buzzword. Then let the school know I’ve applied so they send it off with the reference. When I accept my offer (hopefully) this time next year, I’ll send the unis my certificates.

many thanks!

Correct on all counts.
Reply 8
Contact your last school and ask if you can apply through their UCAS portal - they can then add the academic reference from the school and they may also be willing to give you new predicted grades which they also enter.

Unless you are applying to Oxford/Cambridge or Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary, then you have until January 2024 to submit your application. Don't rush it - you have nothing to gain from 'applying early'.
Original post by McGinger
Contact your last school and ask if you can apply through their UCAS portal - they can then add the academic reference from the school and they may also be willing to give you new predicted grades which they also enter.

Unless you are applying to Oxford/Cambridge or Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary, then you have until January 2024 to submit your application. Don't rush it - you have nothing to gain from 'applying early'.

Thanks. I already have the grades though, so no need for predicted ones. The only reason I wanna get going is that my gap (two years) programme starts in (I need to start preparing in October) December, and I’d have less time to devote to the application then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending