The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jimbles
Scott, I gave three teams I'd rather support due to them being in my favourite state haha :biggrin:

Elliot, decided to not go for Raiders... hate there kit!!!! So it's San Diego Chargers or San Francisco 49ers....

Oh right, sorry haha. I thought you were still open to suggestion.

Personally, out of those 2, I'd go for Chargers. Their QB's really good and the 49ers are in a sorry state atm :/
Reply 1141
Original post by S129439
I wouldn't have thought so either, but stranger things have happened! Who saw Denver taking Tebow last year? Just sayin haha

Jets I would be OK with as long as they lost.

People are saying they could take another QB this year as well :colonhash:

Crazy.

You/anyone know where I can get some NCAA gear? Preferably MSU?
Everywhere I look I either find high prices or shady websites.
Reply 1142
Original post by S129439
Yeah, he talks too much. He is actually a really good coach! AFC Championship 2 years in a row speaks volumes. If he wasn't such a loud mouth trash talker I would be a fan of his (still hate the jets lol).

Sanchez sucks. Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, even to an extent Matt Stafford and Sam Bradford have done more with their offense with less to work with. Sanchez relies on an incredible receiver core (which Manning, Brady or Brees would make literally unstoppable) and a great running game as well as a top 5 o-line and a crazy good defense.

Sanchez is the weak link in New York.

Yeah he is sometimes I even think it all a clever psychological war fare plan to throw opponents but for the most part I don't think it is lol, I'd be shocked if a patriots fan didnt hate them :wink: lol

Very true and I feel a little sorry for lions fans as when he plays Stafford seems a solid QB, it's just that he gets injured for extended periods so much, in fact if he dosnt play a full season soon I can see them having to replace him.

Completely agree he is the week link, the other being the general way things are run, they have a lot of talent but personally I think they go about it the wrong way. I know its easy to talk having not input :tongue: but they seem to focus to much on the now rather than building a sustainable team, and despite the Pats vs Jets rivalry that ability to manage a team is something I have a lot of respect for in the Pats especially as ive heard last year was meant to be a transition year for them and yet look how they did!

Thanks for everyones input on the losing issue I raised as was really just my own curiousity as its something me and a former flat mate used to debate :smile: Personally I agree its wrong morally for a number of reasons to deliberately lose, and as a fan or player id hate it. But still if I was involved in running a team its still something id raise at a meeting with the other key people if there was someone really really desired (of course could still spectacularly back fire as we all know of many draft busts lol)
Original post by jimbles
I'm stuck between Chargers and 49ers.... they both sound appealing to me! Tell me more about both please dude? :biggrin:

Also, what uk shops online can i buy stuff for nfl teams? Want to get a few things for whichever team I choose :smile:

This for stuff. eBay is your friend as well.

I will outline some info for you!...

Nicknames:

49ers = Niners empire (because of their dynasty in the 80's), 49ers faithful. And the cheerleaders are called 'The Goldrush'

Chargers= The San Diego Super Chargers! (awesome disco song link! its a bit quiet) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whNOfvyPpaM&feature=related . Their stadium is the Qualcomm stadium, often reffered to as 'The Q'. Team is often called 'The Bolts'.

Uniforms, cheerleaders and stadiums.... (the 49ers are getting a new stadium in 2015 which is the new drawing/conceptual image.

chargers

Spoiler

49ers

Spoiler

Key players:

49ers, in order, Alex Smith QB 11, Patrick Willis MLB 52 and Frank Gore RB 21.

Spoiler

Chargers in order, Philip Rivers QB 17, Antonio Gates TE 85 (also an ace basketball player in college lol) and Quentin Jammer DB 23 (after an interception lol).

Spoiler

History of both.

49ers have a better history by far. The 49ers had a dynasty in 1980's (3 or more superbowls in one decade) after winning 4! Possibly the best QB ever (Joe Montana) played for them. Straight after him, Steve Young played for them an he was an all time great too. The #1 best player of all time 9as voted by nfl.com played for them! he was called Jerry Rice and played Wide Receiver. Rice was by far and away the best WR ever, no body challenges him except maybe randy moss. they won superbowls 16, 19, 23 and 24. In 1981, Dwight Clark made "the catch" in the NFC championship game. look it up because it's probably the most famous play in nfl history. The are now known as "The Team of the 80's".

The chargers don't really have a history tbh. they have won their division a lot in the recent years but they seem to usually play well in the regular season then lose in the play-offs. but they are better right now than the 49ers who aren't awful but no better than average.

you wouldn't be a glory supporter with either really. seeing as neither have won anything recently.

division!..

the raiders and the chargers are in the AFC west which is getting more and more competitive.

the 49ers are in the NFC West which quite frankly sucks, so you have a better chance of making the play offs lol.

if you want more info, you will have to watch them really.
Original post by Mann18
People are saying they could take another QB this year as well :colonhash:

Crazy.

You/anyone know where I can get some NCAA gear? Preferably MSU?
Everywhere I look I either find high prices or shady websites.

what denver? No lol. the only way it is conceivable is that the guy who drafted tebow is now gone, so maybe the new guy isn't as much of a fan?

still, tebow did pretty good so I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to let him start. besides, orton is ok lol

no idea mate. sorry. eBay is your friend. I don't know anywhere else. nfl isn't big in the UK, and NCAA is even smaller haha. if you find out please tell me :frown:
Original post by Greg1989
Yeah he is sometimes I even think it all a clever psychological war fare plan to throw opponents but for the most part I don't think it is lol, I'd be shocked if a patriots fan didnt hate them :wink: lol

Very true and I feel a little sorry for lions fans as when he plays Stafford seems a solid QB, it's just that he gets injured for extended periods so much, in fact if he dosnt play a full season soon I can see them having to replace him.

Completely agree he is the week link, the other being the general way things are run, they have a lot of talent but personally I think they go about it the wrong way. I know its easy to talk having not input :tongue: but they seem to focus to much on the now rather than building a sustainable team, and despite the Pats vs Jets rivalry that ability to manage a team is something I have a lot of respect for in the Pats especially as ive heard last year was meant to be a transition year for them and yet look how they did!

Thanks for everyones input on the losing issue I raised as was really just my own curiousity as its something me and a former flat mate used to debate :smile: Personally I agree its wrong morally for a number of reasons to deliberately lose, and as a fan or player id hate it. But still if I was involved in running a team its still something id raise at a meeting with the other key people if there was someone really really desired (of course could still spectacularly back fire as we all know of many draft busts lol)

Anybody involved with the Jets is to be hated by pats fans lol.

Yeah I agree. What's a good QB worth if he's on the bench? hopefully with some line improvements and Defense improvements, stafford will spend a bit less time on the field and on his back hahaha!

Yeah that was our transition year. Suck on it. probably the best transition year ever haha! Just an OLB, just a frigging pass rush from anywhere and our team is unbeatable!

If it was the last game of the year, in the fourth quarter, and winning would mean getting the second pick instead of the first, and the team with the first would take the player you wanted to, then I would set them up to lose with a few weird play calls. I would never explicitly tell them to lose though...
Reply 1146
Original post by S129439
what denver? No lol. the only way it is conceivable is that the guy who drafted tebow is now gone, so maybe the new guy isn't as much of a fan?

still, tebow did pretty good so I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to let him start. besides, orton is ok lol

no idea mate. sorry. eBay is your friend. I don't know anywhere else. nfl isn't big in the UK, and NCAA is even smaller haha. if you find out please tell me :frown:

New guy happens to be John Elway, the same John Elway who was apparently very impressed with Cam Newton.

Here's what I think will happen:

Round 1 they take either Marcell Dareus, or as I'd like to see, A.J Green.
Round 2 they take the best available DL or another position, possibly WR if they take Dareus.
Round 3 QB Kaepernick.

I don't think they're sold on Tebow, and Kaepernick is highly valued for his athleticism, sort of a Newton Jr.

And damn, I've been trying to get Spartans gear for ages, but I keep striking out, contemplating just going to bloody America to get one :biggrin:
Original post by Mann18
New guy happens to be John Elway, the same John Elway who was apparently very impressed with Cam Newton.

Here's what I think will happen:

Round 1 they take either Marcell Dareus, or as I'd like to see, A.J Green.
Round 2 they take the best available DL or another position, possibly WR if they take Dareus.
Round 3 QB Kaepernick.

I don't think they're sold on Tebow, and Kaepernick is highly valued for his athleticism, sort of a Newton Jr.

And damn, I've been trying to get Spartans gear for ages, but I keep striking out, contemplating just going to bloody America to get one :biggrin:

Elway is front of house staff but not the coach right?

Hahaha! Bit of a trip but hey LOL. I've been looking for Wolverines stuff for a while, but like you say it's not easy. I might be spending a year in the states at Boston College, so I will pick up some stuff then :biggrin: Might end up a Boston College fan too lol!

As for your draft idea, it's perfectly possible. Dareus is my one sure bet. Other than that, your guess is better than mine as I haven't focused on the Broncos much. They have SERIOUS defense problems tho lol
I really wanna start playing this when i hit uni. I've only just got into it. My fav two players to watch for now are chris johnson and Adrian peters. Also cant forget marshawn lynch's beat mode!
Reply 1149
I'd be sad to see Orton go from the Bronco's at any time as he was a fantasy points machine for me last year...mainly as tons of passing playing from behind lol
Original post by wavey93
I really wanna start playing this when i hit uni. I've only just got into it. My fav two players to watch for now are chris johnson and Adrian peters. Also cant forget marshawn lynch's beat mode!

Adrian Peterson* (can't help but be pedantic :biggrin:)

Yeah they're great haha. Enjoy it at uni :smile:
Original post by S129439
x

just read your reply.. gonna go with chargers, I don't wanna support a team where a lot of people ohhh the 80s team :tongue: or a team who are in a crap division, i want one with a bit of challenge, and Chargers sound like a fun team....

So cheers for all the help mate :biggrin:

I want a Chargers varsity jacket, but there's no way :frown:
Original post by jimbles
just read your reply.. gonna go with chargers, I don't wanna support a team where a lot of people ohhh the 80s team :tongue: or a team who are in a crap division, i want one with a bit of challenge, and Chargers sound like a fun team....

So cheers for all the help mate :biggrin:

I want a Chargers varsity jacket, but there's no way :frown:

it's OK. haha.

and yeah. ouch. I got one of these (albeit a pats version). it's REALLY warm and is cool IMO. more reasonable price too :L

http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4261769&cp=2237623.2247274&pageType=family&parentPage=family

or any of these are cool. make sure you convert the dollar price to pounds which is less

http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4261539&cp=2237623.2247274&pageType=family&parentPage=family

http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4261539&cp=2237623.2247274&pageType=family&parentPage=family

http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10995768&cp=2237623.2247274&pageType=family&parentPage=family
Reply 1153
The NFLUK shop teases me :moon:. It even has a picture of a Falcons hoody behind the "full zip hoodies" ad then they don't really exist :p:.

ill definitely look into a hoody! I definitely want either
http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4059216&cp=2237623.2247272&pageType=family&parentPage=family
or
http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4308755&cp=2237623.2247272&pageType=family&parentPage=family

I know the second one is smarter, but it's expensive! Though the first one is more team based, and cheaper! Which would you go for?

have you ordered from that site from America before mate? I only worry because I thought you can get charged for having things delivered here?
Original post by jimbles
http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4059216&cp=2237623.2247272&pageType=family&parentPage=family
or
http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4308755&cp=2237623.2247272&pageType=family&parentPage=family

I know the second one is smarter, but it's expensive! Though the first one is more team based, and cheaper! Which would you go for?

have you ordered from that site from America before mate? I only worry because I thought you can get charged for having things delivered here?

I bought the one i listed first in my previous post. albeit the patriots version.

I need to warn you, i messed up. any of them that are custom made won't be delivered to the UK, sorry.

the international shipping is like £15 or sumthin.

go for whatever you want...
Original post by jimbles
or

That 2nd ones lovely.

What jerseys does everyone have btw?
I'm thinking of buying a John Kuhn away jersey and already have a Greg Jennings home shirt :biggrin:
Also thinking of getting this:
http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4261756&cp=2237589.2245920&pageType=family&parentPage=family

I have one of those. the measurements are weird. i came out as a small, but in truth it's slightly too small. i should have got a medium. if you are comfortably in one size on the size chart, go for the one above. trust me lol. mine isn't badly small, just would like it slightly longer in the sleeves :smile:

as for comfort, its awesome! pretty flash, really thick and warm, and comfy as hell. go for it!
Original post by S129439
I have one of those. the measurements are weird. i came out as a small, but in truth it's slightly too small. i should have got a medium. if you are comfortably in one size on the size chart, go for the one above. trust me lol. mine isn't badly small, just would like it slightly longer in the sleeves :smile:

as for comfort, its awesome! pretty flash, really thick and warm, and comfy as hell. go for it!

Oh right, cheers mate. What size are you in normal clothes?
I've found if your getting Jerseys then go a size smaller-I have two Lions Jerseys a L Joey Harrington one which swamps me (considering my height I found that a bit of a suprise!) and a M Sanders throwback which is a) sweet and b) Again slightly too big...

Humm, only 2 weeks till the draft then guys and I have 3 questions for you:

a) who goes no.1? Green, Newton or Gabbet
b) How far does Blowers slip
c) Who wants to trade up for a no.13 pick and what would you offer?

Oh and go for the Chargers-the powder blue kit is one of the finest in the league (hate the new dark blue regulars) and Rivers/Gates is an awesome combo. If rivers ever gets a Superbowl he is defiantly a HoF player. The 9ers are a bit of a mess at the moment-Alex Smith isn't NFL quality, Gore is a good but not great RB and they lack recievers outside of the TE (whose name I've forgotten temporally). Willis is the best MLB in the league, finally edging out Ray LEwis due to his youth, but outside of that they lack a decent pass rush.

Latest