The Student Room Group

FY1/Medicine Unemployment

I hear/read a fair bit about FY1 unemployment, or at least fear of it (and a lack of training posts further up the chain), given that medical schools on paper have 99% - 100% employment prospects I would appreciate it if somebody a bit more knowledgeable about the whole thing could actually clarify what the situation is - and what you think it will look like in 4/5 years? Is it possible that a doctor could not get a job anywhere in the UK? Don't we have a doctor shortage or is it a surplus at the bottom of the chain? Anybody have any interesting anecdotes? Is it a case of not being able to get jobs in London or Oxfordshire say - but those happy to go to Stoke or something can get them - or is it a nationwide issue?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This year, I think there were about 200 more applicants than places so yes, a few people will end up unemployed (though it won't be 200 as some people will end up not taking their jobs due to illness/failing finals etc). This situation may worsen over the next few years as more overseas graduates try to get jobs in the UK.

The numbers failing to get a training job post-FY2 are, however, significantly higher.
Reply 2
Original post by Helenia
This year, I think there were about 200 more applicants than places so yes, a few people will end up unemployed (though it won't be 200 as some people will end up not taking their jobs due to illness/failing finals etc). This situation may worsen over the next few years as more overseas graduates try to get jobs in the UK.

The numbers failing to get a training job post-FY2 are, however, significantly higher.

According to the FP website, they are confident everyone who is eligible to be placed in an FY1 job come August will be by July. 180 people were unplaced in the 1st round of allocations, of those 108 have just been allocated in the 2nd round.

I'm not worried about getting a foundation job. As for post-FY2, we'll see I suppose. Maybe the Tories' caps on immigration of skilled workers will have an affect...
Reply 3
Original post by theatrical
According to the FP website, they are confident everyone who is eligible to be placed in an FY1 job come August will be by July. 180 people were unplaced in the 1st round of allocations, of those 108 have just been allocated in the 2nd round.

I'm not worried about getting a foundation job. As for post-FY2, we'll see I suppose. Maybe the Tories' caps on immigration of skilled workers will have an affect...

can't stop the EU medics...

I would imagine we would get FY1 placements - even if it does mean living somewhere undesirable.
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
This year, I think there were about 200 more applicants than places

Do you happen to know if any of them managed to find a job via the contingency?
Reply 5
What is the case for internationals?
Original post by Beska

Yeah they did, there was something in BMA news about it.
Reply 7
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Yeah they did, there was something in BMA news about it.

Ah brill!
Reply 8
As far as I'm aware (and I'm not really all that aware tbh) there is a shortage of middle-grade doctors willing to stay in that role (staff grade, etc.), at least, the government want more middle-grade doctors. The previous government wanted to introduce 'junior consultants' that effectively filled that role and we would get a 'consultant-led service'. No idea whether this idea is still popular around Whitehall but I wouldn't bet against this government hijacking it and claiming it for themselves.
Original post by Beska
Ah brill!

Well I just checked and the first 104 people have been allocated places and the chair of the UKFPO is 'hopeful' that the rest will have places soon.
Reply 10
Original post by Beska

Yeah, they've placed some and are apparently confident that they will be able to place everyone by August.

However, I am not sure that this will continue if applicant numbers continue to rise.
Reply 11
surely it's unacceptable to spend all this money training doctors up and then saying "erm sorry no fy1 post for you".

if that's a realistic situation ^ they should reduce the number of people entering medical school.
Reply 12
Original post by Cyanohydrin
surely it's unacceptable to spend all this money training doctors up and then saying "erm sorry no fy1 post for you".

if that's a realistic situation ^ they should reduce the number of people entering medical school.

It's less an issue of UK graduates and more an issue of foreign graduates, really...
Reply 13
Original post by Beska
It's less an issue of UK graduates and more an issue of foreign graduates, really...

The people without jobs are any nationality (surely) - given the way that jobs are allocated (i.e. med school blinded points system). We should design some sort of system that allocates british trained graduates first and then allocates the spare posts to IMGs.
Reply 14
Original post by Cyanohydrin
We should design some sort of system that allocates british trained graduates first and then allocates the spare posts to IMGs.

That's illegal currently because EU law states that all candidates from throughout the EU have to be treated equally etc.

I do say though, I agree completely.
Reply 15
Original post by Beska
That's illegal currently because EU law states that all candidates from throughout the EU have to be treated equally etc.

Sod the EU - training up doctors is bloody expensive :tongue: France does disgusting things like expel gypsies in defiance of EU law, ensuring that people trained at the expense of the British taxpayer get jobs can surely be justified :dontknow: I'm sure some system could be designed, maybe we should have a collection and pay for a loophole lawyer to design it.

If it costs £250,000 to train a doctor - 200 people lost (if they are) is a loss of 50 million pounds! that's a lot of cancer drugs...
Original post by Beska

I'm not 100% sure if it does come under EU law. It very well may do, but surely the government could argue it's a paid training scheme and not a job per se, no?
Reply 17
Original post by winter_mute
I'm not 100% sure if it does come under EU law. It very well may do, but surely the government could argue it's a paid training scheme and not a job per se, no?

That's always the reasoning I hear mentioned when anybody asks why they don't give priority to home graduates. :dontknow:
is this still a problem or have fy1 posts become more available
Reply 19
Original post by medtobe
What is the case for internationals?

I think this person was accidently banned.

Latest

Trending

Trending