The Student Room Group

Declining KCL to apply to Warwick through UCAS extra? thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

:s-smilie: King's wasn't mention throughout the whole document lol and i swear London south Bank has a higher average salary then most uni's :colondollar: won't their that pdf that was going around?
Reply 21
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Take note that King'd didn't even make it in the top 20.

Source: http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf

Original post by FinalMH
:s-smilie: King's wasn't mention throughout the whole document lol and i swear London south Bank has a higher average salary then most uni's :colondollar: won't their that pdf that was going around?

Yes because KCL is just a college as part of the UoL, so technically it comes under the 'London' bracket in the table, which is 4th
Reply 22
Original post by viksta1000
Yes because KCL is just a college as part of the UoL, so technically it comes under the 'London' bracket in the table, which is 4th

London (including Imperial College,
University College and the London School of Economics

I know thats what i thought, but you sure that doesn't mean UCL on its own?

Like it said on page 6? i was quite shocked that it wasn't in Top 20 tbh and wasn't mention throughout the whole pdf :/ hmm weired
Reply 23
are you mad?
Reply 24
Original post by FinalMH

It is what it is. High Fliers is a respected survey and their research and surveys cover more extensively than other surveys that came out in the past. But don't worry. The result does not make King's a bad uni. It only shows that there are several unis that are better regarded than King's to the sight of the employers. Being one of the the U of L colleges does not make it top 5 outrightly. The same is true for other U of L colleges apart from LSE, Imperial & UCL.
Reply 25
Original post by loquita
are you mad?

why? :confused:
Reply 26

It is what it is. High Fliers is a respected survey and their research and surveys cover more extensively than other surveys that came out in the past. But don't worry. The result does not make King's a bad uni. It only shows that there are several unis that are better regarded than King's to the sight of the employers. Being one of the the U of L colleges does not make it top 5 outrightly. The same is true for other U of L colleges apart from LSE, Imperial & UCL.

According to him it doesn't LOL so kcl is below 20 in terms of the big employers
Reply 27
Jus to note you can ring up the warwick before hand and ensure that they will accept you (one of my friends did this last year). It quite a long process but if they still have some places it's possible :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by FinalMH
According to him it doesn't LOL so kcl is below 20 in terms of the big employers

Excuse me? I did not make the survey. The High Fliers did.

And again, King's name was not mentioned along LSE, Imperial and UCL, so it is safe to assume that King's was not in the top 20. Otherwise, the author would have made mention of it, but they did not.
Reply 29
To be honest, Warwick is head and shoulders superior to King's for any programs related to business or finance. This isn't even a close call.

If you think you can make it into Warwick, go for it. But if you think it's unsafe to withdraw King's, don't take chances. Warwick is very hard to get into.

Universities Targeted by the Largest Number of Top Employers in 2010-2011

1. Cambridge
2. Warwick
3. Manchester
4. London (LSE, Imperial, UCL)
5. Oxford

Nottingham
Bristol
Bath
Durham
Leeds
Edinburgh
Birmingham
Loughborough
Sheffield
Southampton
16. Cardiff
17. Aston
18. Strathclyde
19. Newcastle
20. Exeter

try not to look at those stats too much... Kings is a top uni and if you get a good degree from it you will not struggle lol
Reply 30
Original post by Kenny101
try not to look at those stats too much... Kings is a top uni and if you get a good degree from it you will not struggle lol

I did not say one should try to look at the data too much. In fact, i said it does not make King's a bad uni. It's still a great uni despite its low performance in the High Flier's survey. But at least we now know that there are unis -- many of them aren't in London -- that employers like too. I would rather attend King's over, say Birmingham or Leeds. But that's more of a personal choice than anything else.
Reply 31
Excuse me? I did not make the survey. The High Fliers did.

And again, King's name was not mentioned along LSE, Imperial and UCL, so it is safe to assume that King's was not in the top 20. Otherwise, the author would have made mention of it, but they did not.

nooo sorry i was showing the post to the other person who said it, i was agreeing with you throughout the thread my apologies :smile:
Reply 32
no worries :smile:
Reply 33
i rejected two offers and applied for a course at warwick through Extra yesterday.. I had to write an additional personal statement relating to the course that i wanted to apply for andd to be honest it's such a big risk and i'm pretty screwed if i don't get accepted, but my situation was very different to yours - my top three choices rejected me (two after interview) and the offers i was left with, well i could do a lot better given the grades i achieved at AS and my predicted A level grades. so that's why i decided to take a big gamble and go through extra. You on the other hand have an offer from KCL which is a very very good uni! sooo you should stick with it i think :smile: hope this was helpful in some way lol
Reply 34
To be honest, Warwick is head and shoulders superior to King's for any programs related to business or finance. This isn't even a close call.

If you think you can make it into Warwick, go for it. But if you think it's unsafe to withdraw King's, don't take chances. Warwick is very hard to get into.

Universities Targeted by the Largest Number of Top Employers in 2010-2011

1. Cambridge
2. Warwick
3. Manchester
4. London (LSE, Imperial, UCL)
5. Oxford

Nottingham
Bristol
Bath
Durham
Leeds
Edinburgh
Birmingham
Loughborough
Sheffield
Southampton
16. Cardiff
17. Aston
18. Strathclyde
19. Newcastle
20. Exeter

So Manchester is a LOT better then Birmingham recuitment wise?
I chose Bham over Manchester, and didn't realise it was so much better :s-smilie:

They both seemed to have quite similar grade requirements and rep when i applied.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by uxa595
So Manchester is a LOT better then Birmingham recuitment wise?
I chose Bham over Manchester, and didn't realise it was so much better :s-smilie:

They both seemed to have quite similar grade requirements and rep when i applied.

I really wouldn't say, "it's so much better." Yes, there is a difference but it isn't that big, I supposed. Besides, at the end, it is how you would perform in your interviews..., present yourself..., etc are what would you win the coveted job. Assuming you have the grades to back you up. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Just looked at UCAS again, and there's still places in extra? Is it a common thing for a university such as Warwick or KCL to have places in extra this late in the game?

Also any other thoughts? \/

Hey Guys

So I've recently got offers from KCL for Business Management and Cass for Banking and International Finance

After browsing on the UCAS Site it seems that Warwick has a few courses in Extra, two of which have caught my eye (Accounting & Finance and Management)

Is it worth declining KCL to apply to Warwick for one of these courses? and if so is it possible that I could get Warwick to guarantee me an offer before I decline my offers?

I believe Warwick is slightly higher in terms of rep, however would the 'London Advantage' of King's make up for that?

Thanks and I welcome your thoughts! :biggrin:

EDIT: I want to go into Investment Banking if that helps :smile:
Just looked at UCAS again, and there's still places in extra? Is it a common thing for a university such as Warwick or KCL to have places in extra this late in the game?

Also any other thoughts? \/

If it was a straight choice between Warwick and KCL then I'd say Warwick, but turning down your KCL place to gamble for a place at Warwick sounds pretty crazy.

KCL has a great reputation, you'll be able to go into IB with a degree from there, and you'll be on a London campus so the nightlife will be amazing.

If you do turn down your offer and don't get into Warwick, then your options become very limited. I've been looking around on extra and there are a few good unis with courses available but they tend to be courses that most people wouldn't want to do.

So you'd probably have to go through clearing, and there are so many applicants this year that again, choices will be exceptionally limited and if you didn't find anything you wanted, you'd be forced to a gap year and pay the £9k pa tuition fees.

Stick with the KCL offer and you'll go to a great uni, have a good time and be able to pursue the career you want.

Reject it to try for Warwick, and you take a huge gamble to have a slightly better brand name on your degree.
Reply 39

Do you know where the full report is for that page?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending