The Student Room Group

I'm not happy with my uni options. Should I do Extra or clearing?

Hello there,
Sent my application of early december for modern languages/french and spanish. My issue is with the course curriculum varies and also its quite a limited choice in terms of not many unis doing it.
Uni of Birmingham was the only place that had everything I wanted course wise (so I thought). So I kind of told myself this is what I want so this is where I need to go. I got rejected the other day.

I also applied to U of Nottingham (offer) Bangor (offer) Bath and Bristol (Still waiting on). But if I'm honest I don't want to go to any of them. I put them as other options thinking I'd feel okay but the more I think of it I don't want to go to a uni that I don't want to go to because thats where I got an offer if that makes sense.

Which brings me to my question. I did the stupid thing of researching other uni's over christmas and looked at Manchester Met again (which I didn't apply to because I remember looking and the grades were quite high) but I've looked since and they are BCC which I think I can do. Course wise I'd argue that its better than the one I looked at in Birmingham. So do I decline Notts and Bangor (I don't think I'm getting into B or B and if I'm honest I don't think I'll be disappointed) and enter UCAS Extra which would be risky? Or just wait until clearing.
If you definitely dont want to the universities you have an offer from then you might as well decline them now. if you dont want to go to the others withdraw from them but not the whole account. You will them be able to apply through extra when it opens and have clearing as a back up.
Dont wait until clearing. Contact UCAS for help but I suggest you reject the offer and start the process fresh now. Clearing is a bit of a gamble
Reply 3
Original post by username6407652
Hello there,
Sent my application of early december for modern languages/french and spanish. My issue is with the course curriculum varies and also its quite a limited choice in terms of not many unis doing it.
Uni of Birmingham was the only place that had everything I wanted course wise (so I thought). So I kind of told myself this is what I want so this is where I need to go. I got rejected the other day.

I also applied to U of Nottingham (offer) Bangor (offer) Bath and Bristol (Still waiting on). But if I'm honest I don't want to go to any of them. I put them as other options thinking I'd feel okay but the more I think of it I don't want to go to a uni that I don't want to go to because thats where I got an offer if that makes sense.

Which brings me to my question. I did the stupid thing of researching other uni's over christmas and looked at Manchester Met again (which I didn't apply to because I remember looking and the grades were quite high) but I've looked since and they are BCC which I think I can do. Course wise I'd argue that its better than the one I looked at in Birmingham. So do I decline Notts and Bangor (I don't think I'm getting into B or B and if I'm honest I don't think I'll be disappointed) and enter UCAS Extra which would be risky? Or just wait until clearing.

I’m not quite sure if you have to pay so this response if for if you don’t want to pay I would say that you should keep your offers and put them as your firm/insurance just to make sure that your not out of any uni and see if you can call Manchester to mabye arrange an interview, but if that doesn’t work then definitely clearance.
Original post by username6407652
Hello there,

Hi @username6407652
It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Man Met!

Tbh, both Extra and Clearing can be somewhat risky because both of them depend on the number of spaces that are left on the course.

That being said, if you're dead set on not going to either of the 5 unis you originally applied for then I suggest going through UCAS Extra. That way, if you receive an offer from Man Met, you'll have time to select us as your firm choice and apply for accommodation (if you plan to move from home) as we can only guarantee accommodation to those who apply before the deadline and have us as their firm choice.

Another thing to consider is that, to use Extra, you need to decline any offers you receive and once you decline them, you can't change your mind and reinstate them. However, you still have time to decide on what you think is right for you because Extra opens in February.

Also, using Extra in the first instance means that you'll still have the option to use Clearing if necessary 🙂
I hope this helps you with your decision making, and good luck with your applications and exams!!

Chloe 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending