The Student Room Group

Am I being snobby?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSownRose
Not necessarily...

If OP gets ABBC with the A in general studies, the Warwick offer is unfulfilled (BBB excluding general studies), but the Durham one has been achieved (ABB including general studies.)

Ah, fair enough.
Reply 21
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
It depends what grades you realistically think you will achieve. If it's ABB or higher then personally I'd put Durham. If it's BBB then I'd put one of Leeds or Newcastle. If you genuinely think you won't get BBB or higher, then put Sheffield. However, if you really wouldn't want to go there then I wouldn't put it down.

For your firm, if you're putting Warwick... If you don't meet the offer for Warwick you won't meet the offer for Durham anyway? Unless you want to put Durham as your firm and Warwick as you're insurance?

Well Durham is ABB including general studies, which means if I don't get a B in one of my subjects, I can still get in as long as I have an A in general studies. Which means that for me, it's easier to get into to Durham than it is for Warwick. But I liked Warwick better. :s-smilie:
If I miss Warwick by a grade, so I get BBC but I still have an A in general studies then I won't get in there and I'll have to go to Sheffield Hallam. :confused:
Reply 22
Original post by qwerty7
Hi guys, would appreciate some honest answers here!

I've applied for 5 universities for Sociology:
Newcastle- BBB
Warwick- BBB
Leeds- BBB
Durham -ABB (+general studies)
Sheffield Hallam- CCD

I haven't picked my firm or insurance yet and I have to do this by the 5th of May. It's causing some heated arguments in my house because I've the only person to ever go to university in my family ever.

Basically I really like Warwick, and would love to firm that. But I'm stuck for my insurance. My parents think I should have Sheffield Hallam for my insurance because they don't think I'll get the grades to put Durham as my insurance.

However, since visiting Durham and Warwick I've really fallen in love with them, and out of love with Sheffield Hallam. I don't really want to go there anymore. :/

My parents firmly believe that a degree means more than no degree, and it doesn't matter where you get it from and then said I was being snobby about the uni.

I don't really know what to do. It's likely that I might miss the grades by one (BBC) instead of BBB, but if I were to get an A in another grade, eg. general studies then I would be able to go to Durham.

Should I put Sheffield Hallam as my insurance, and then if I miss the grades for Warwick but still have the grades to get to Durham, then reject offers an go to clearing? :/

Choose whichever ones you want. You can go to clearing after if necessary, but you should be confident that you will get the grades you need for your application.

(Warwick/Durham is a nice mix :smile: )
Original post by qwerty7
Well Durham is ABB including general studies, which means if I don't get a B in one of my subjects, I can still get in as long as I have an A in general studies. Which means that for me, it's easier to get into to Durham than it is for Warwick. But I liked Warwick better. :s-smilie:
If I miss Warwick by a grade, so I get BBC but I still have an A in general studies then I won't get in there and I'll have to go to Sheffield Hallam. :confused:

Ah, okay. I'd personally put down Durham as my insurance and if worse comes to worst go through clearing.
Reply 24
Ah, okay. I'd personally put down Durham as my insurance and if worse comes to worst go through clearing.

OK, thanks for the advice!
If I don't get in this year then I most likely won't go to uni at all :frown: such a hard choice.
Original post by qwerty7
OK, thanks for the advice!
If I don't get in this year then I most likely won't go to uni at all :frown: such a hard choice.

Why's that?
Original post by lawology
Ultimately, it's your life and you'll be the one spending 3+ years there! Of course, take your parents views into consideration - they obviously only want the best for you - but don't make the decision FOR them, make it for you. I got 4 offers (3 AAA, 1 AAB and 1 ABB) perhaps it would have been sensible to firm an AAA and insure the ABB but I insured AAB instead because I liked the look of it better and I would honestly reapply then go somewhere I'll end up hating for 3 years of my life!

I thought that I'd hate my insurance. I had offers of AAA, AAA, AAA, AAB and AB - I did the smart thing and insured the AB choice and I was bloody right to as I ended up with ABC unexpectedly. I loved the university so much I'm going back next year for another course.
Reply 27
Original post by nulli tertius
You haven't said what you don't like about Sheffield Hallam. There will almost certainly be places of comparable academic standard but different ambiance to Hallam available in clearing.

I'll admit one of the reasons is that most people consider Sociology a Mickey Mouse subject, and after talking with a few people about Sheffield Hallam (teachers, students, career advisers) they all rate the uni really badly. So one of the reasons is that I would like to go on and do really well career-wise but everyone seems to think I won't be able to do this by going to Sheffield Hallam.

Another reason is that I was talking to my ex about uni a while ago. He's gone to a really good uni (Bath or Bristol I think) to study Medicine and basically he just laughed in my face when I said Sociology and SHU. It really hurt my feelings, especially since he said I won't ever get futher in my life than him (which is probably true, since he's going to be a doctor). :frown:

My parents think low uni is better than no uni, and I liked the city and the place when I visted it, but I don't know anything about the course or much else. I just chose it because it was close to family we have over there (it was between SHU and Leeds met).
Reply 28
Why's that?

I think a mixture of the course fees (next year) and that if I take a gap year I won't have anywhere to stay. My mum's pretty determined to kick me out if I don't go to uni this year which leaves me in a huge muddle.
I've thought about doing Midwifery but I'd have to get a biology A-level, which means going back to college for two years and I can't afford that on my own.

I'm in a muddle! :frown:
Reply 29
You're not being snobby. But even if you are who cares? You're allowed to be snobby if you want to be, you are the one who'll be living for the rest of your life with the consequences of what uni decision you make, don't pick one you won't be happy at.

Unless you seriously think you won't make your BBB offers then I wouldn't put Hallam as your insurance. But of course it is entirely up to you. Hallam vs your other choices are a world apart - so you should consider that. I mean Warwick and Durham are top 5, and I don't think Hallam is even top 50.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by qwerty7
I think a mixture of the course fees (next year) and that if I take a gap year I won't have anywhere to stay. My mum's pretty determined to kick me out if I don't go to uni this year which leaves me in a huge muddle.
I've thought about doing Midwifery but I'd have to get a biology A-level, which means going back to college for two years and I can't afford that on my own.

I'm in a muddle! :frown:

Blimey, that does make the decision a lot more difficult. You could try finding out if the course at Sheffield is usually in clearing? As long as you're realistic with the grades you think you will get come August make the choices based on that. Also, make sure you work as hard as you possibly to attain the grades and hopefully you will make the Warwick offer, or Durham or one of Leeds or Newcastle if not Warwick.
Original post by charlotte-rose
I thought that I'd hate my insurance. I had offers of AAA, AAA, AAA, AAB and AB - I did the smart thing and insured the AB choice and I was bloody right to as I ended up with ABC unexpectedly. I loved the university so much I'm going back next year for another course.

Out of interest, what uni was that?
Original post by qwerty7

Newcastle- BBB
Warwick- BBB
Leeds- BBB
Sheffield Hallam- CCD

I haven't picked my firm or insurance yet and I have to do this by the 5th of May. It's causing some heated arguments in my house because I've the only person to ever go to university in my family ever.

Basically I really like Warwick, and would love to firm that. But I'm stuck for my insurance. My parents think I should have Sheffield Hallam for my insurance because they don't think I'll get the grades to put Durham as my insurance.

However, since visiting Durham and Warwick I've really fallen in love with them, and out of love with Sheffield Hallam. I don't really want to go there anymore. :/

My parents firmly believe that a degree means more than no degree, and it doesn't matter where you get it from and then said I was being snobby about the uni.

I don't really know what to do. It's likely that I might miss the grades by one (BBC) instead of BBB, but if I were to get an A in another grade, eg. general studies then I would be able to go to Durham.

Should I put Sheffield Hallam as my insurance, and then if I miss the grades for Warwick but still have the grades to get to Durham, then reject offers an go to clearing? :/

Whatever you do, do NOT put a university you do not like as one of your choices, what is the point?
Original post by qwerty7
I'll admit one of the reasons is that most people consider Sociology a Mickey Mouse subject, and after talking with a few people about Sheffield Hallam (teachers, students, career advisers) they all rate the uni really badly. So one of the reasons is that I would like to go on and do really well career-wise but everyone seems to think I won't be able to do this by going to Sheffield Hallam.

Another reason is that I was talking to my ex about uni a while ago. He's gone to a really good uni (Bath or Bristol I think) to study Medicine and basically he just laughed in my face when I said Sociology and SHU. It really hurt my feelings, especially since he said I won't ever get futher in my life than him (which is probably true, since he's going to be a doctor). :frown:

My parents think low uni is better than no uni, and I liked the city and the place when I visted it, but I don't know anything about the course or much else. I just chose it because it was close to family we have over there (it was between SHU and Leeds met).

I don't think you are being snobby and if you are, the Earl who owns this place is a Hallam graduate.

However I had a quick look at the Hallam sociology course and I didn't see anything very good. It has a small collection of academics most of whom are seemingly primarily interested in something else. Relatively little research is undertaken and they did not submit research to the the last RAE.

I would suggest that you choose Durham as your insurance and take your chance in clearing if you miss it.
Reply 34
Original post by nulli tertius
I don't think you are being snobby and if you are, the Earl who owns this place is a Hallam graduate.

However I had a quick look at the Hallam sociology course and I didn't see anything very good. It has a small collection of academics most of whom are seemingly primarily interested in something else. Relatively little research is undertaken and they did not submit research to the the last RAE.

I would suggest that you choose Durham as your insurance and take your chance in clearing if you miss it.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll do that, but I'm not sure about how likely I am to get into SHU if I don't meet the grades for Durham or Warwick. How would I find out about clearing and everything else? Would I email the uni?
Go where you want to.It's YOUR life.
It's not about being snobby if you are basing your decisions on where you like the most.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by hobnob
... or they might not, because they've already filled all their places and they're under no obligation to take you after you've missed your offer.:erm: That's what's wrong with choosing two universities asking for the same grades: you're risking instant rejection from both your choices if something goes wrong and you miss your grades.

Well, literally all my offers were BBB, so I didn't really have any choice in the matter. :rolleyes:
Reply 38
Original post by qwerty7

Newcastle- BBB
Warwick- BBB
Leeds- BBB
Sheffield Hallam- CCD

I think you should go for it, forget your parents, plus sheffield harlem seem like they'll be in clearing anway, so if you flop completely, you cud call them up and get a place anyway
To me, it depends what you're predicted. If you loved Warwick and Durham and are almost guaranteed the grades, but them down (Durham first, Warwick insurance). I don't think you're being snobby, I personally loved Sheffield Hallam, but there's nothing worse than being stuck somewhere you don't want to be for 3 years +.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending