The Student Room Group

English A1 Paper 1 - Any tips for tommorow?

Im doing SL and i have my exam tomrow....

thaanks
Reply 1
I have the same exam tomorrow,

There isn't a lot of revision as such you can do for paper 1 as it is the unseen text! Just have a look at some past papers if you can and see what sort of texts crop up.

Use the mark schemes and criteria and go through the texts and plan essays as if you would in an exam, perhaps even write a couple if you have time.

The main thing is to know the marking criteria back to front because then you know what you need to include and can effectively plan your essay whe it comes to actually taking the exam.

Hope it helps! :smile: and good luck!
its a choice between prose and poem, for poem you can begin by revising all the poetic devices like alliteration assonance onomatopoeia emjambment hyperbole....
Reply 3
Original post by rpbhardacre
I have the same exam tomorrow,

There isn't a lot of revision as such you can do for paper 1 as it is the unseen text! Just have a look at some past papers if you can and see what sort of texts crop up.

Use the mark schemes and criteria and go through the texts and plan essays as if you would in an exam, perhaps even write a couple if you have time.

The main thing is to know the marking criteria back to front because then you know what you need to include and can effectively plan your essay whe it comes to actually taking the exam.

Hope it helps! :smile: and good luck!

I have it too! And I absolutely agree. Just try and remember the top band for each criteria. It should serve as some guidance and you'll be on your way to a 7! Good luck!
Reply 4
Read through the extract 3 times and Have a mental list in your head that you can go through when reading through the poetry/prose that will help you to pick relevant details out and write about them. There's a websitre called english.biz (can't remember the site off the top of my head) but it ends in biz and has a revision guide for unseen text. The list includes rhythm,rhyme, structure,persona, etc.
Spend 15 minutes to Plan your answer, so you do not waste time in repeating what youvr already written, always refer back to the text with quotations and within your paragraphs structure it to Point, Quote, Explanation (PQE).
Everything everyone has said above is v important tooo

All the best of luck!!
Reply 5
Do you guys prefer the poem or prose, or is it a "work it out on the day".

I've never managed to answer a poem, I just don't see /anything/ within it. \;
Reply 6
Original post by Blazara
Do you guys prefer the poem or prose, or is it a "work it out on the day".

I've never managed to answer a poem, I just don't see /anything/ within it. \;

I'm the opposite, I will almost always choose the poem, I just feel that there are usually more obvious literary features, it's easier to structure the essay because you can use line by line most of the time and not forgetting they are often a lot shorter :smile:
I much prefer the poems as well, I find I get too bogged down in telling the story of a prose, and end up failing monumentally on Criterion C - Appreciation of Literary Features.
Reply 8
Damn it. You all make poems sound much more appealing.

I have never understood the "under lying message" or whatever in a poem, I often struggle to even see a plot with in. While with Prose, it usually has one I can identify ;3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending