The Student Room Group

Any GUYS out there wanting to take Nursing for 2012 Entry?

Hi all,

I'm new here and I was just wondering if there are any guys out there planning to take Nursing for 2012 Entry.

I am 17 studying Psychology and Sociology, Law and Politics and hoping to study Nursing in:
Southampton
Keele
Brighton
Plymouth; and
Staffordshire

I've read their prospectuses and they said that Psychology and Sociology will be accepted. I know Southampton is a good uni; and the reason why I want to study there is because its close to home. I'm considering Keele and is it any good studying there?

Anyone who can give me advices? :mmm::mmm:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no, nursing for guys is homo
Reply 2
Original post by efn
no, nursing for guys is homo

Yeah, thanks for that.

I wont stay as a nurse forever. I'm following my uncle's footsteps.
Nursing --> 5 years as an ER Nurse --> Med School(4 years) -->Orthopaedic Sugeon

Most people in my family are Doctors who studied Nursing to get 'more clinical' experience with the exception of my aunti in California who took BS Biology before studying Medicine and becoming an Emergency Physician.
Reply 3
Original post by yamamotootsu
sorry, but I don't think nursing is suitable for guys lol

And thats based on what?
Reply 4
Isn't it more difficult to enter graduate entry medicine? Alot of competition, more so than the normal a-level route which is already in itself extremely competitive. Don't quote me on that though I'm not a medicine applicant, I have just got that knowledge from reading other threads in the medicine forum.
Reply 5
you're in for a big shock...

Most long winded way ive heard some CHOOSE to go to medical school.

Good luck to you sir
Obviously, I am not male, and neither am I applying for Nursing this year. But I think it's great that you guys don't get put off by stupid stereotypes. All the best nurses i've had are male! Best of luck to you all! :biggrin:
Reply 7
I'd say ignore the stereotypes. I'm a student nurse and have not come across one gay male nurse yet. I've also found the male nurse mentors rather good at their jobs and keen to teach. Has anyone seen a stressed out man nurse? They all seem so laid back. At least the ones I have come across.

As for using nursing to get into medicine it’s probably not the best way to go about things. It’s a lot more work than a ‘normal’ degree. (I did biomedical science before starting my nurse training). I would look into other options if that is your goal. A course with more science content would be better from what I remember when looking at what I wanted to do after my first degree.
Reply 8
not male, or a nursing student. just like to say the male nurse sterotype is stupid and as far as "sexy jobs" go nurse = :coma:.
I apologise sincerely OP

I have deleted my stupid comment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by cragdale
I'd say ignore the stereotypes. I'm a student nurse and have not come across one gay male nurse yet. I've also found the male nurse mentors rather good at their jobs and keen to teach. Has anyone seen a stressed out man nurse? They all seem so laid back. At least the ones I have come across.

As for using nursing to get into medicine it’s probably not the best way to go about things. It’s a lot more work than a ‘normal’ degree. (I did biomedical science before starting my nurse training). I would look into other options if that is your goal. A course with more science content would be better from what I remember when looking at what I wanted to do after my first degree.

Hey just a quick question. Did you find nursing harder that biomed? I want to change from biomed to nursing 2012 and would love to hear your thoughts.
Please PM me if you can. Thanks :smile:
Hey, i'm a guy hoping to start a nursing degree in sept 2012 hopefully in Southampton.

No idea why there are so many stereotypes, it's a tough job, and it's more then suitable for a man.

When i tell people i'm working towards nursing they assume i'm a screaming homo which is pretty irritating but meh, my girlfriend thinks it's sexy
(edited 12 years ago)
Well not many straight men in that profession can't blame them since nurses get called 'sisters', but if you want to do it go for it (look at sig for why)
Reply 13
Original post by HandsomeBWonderful
Hey, i'm a guy hoping to start a nursing degree in sept 2012 hopefully in Southampton.

No idea why there are so many stereotypes, it's a tough job, and it's more then suitable for a man.

When i tell people i'm working towards nursing they assume i'm a screaming homo which is pretty irritating but meh, my girlfriend thinks it's sexy

The percentage of male nurses increased following the second world war when men were demobbed mainly from the medical corps and wanted to continue working in healthcare. To be honest, I don't give a toss what a nurses sexuality is, its irrelevant to their ability to do their job, unfortunately some peoples prejudices are still in the 1950's.
Original post by moonkatt
The percentage of male nurses increased following the second world war when men were demobbed mainly from the medical corps and wanted to continue working in healthcare. To be honest, I don't give a toss what a nurses sexuality is, its irrelevant to their ability to do their job, unfortunately some peoples prejudices are still in the 1950's.

I don't care either it's irrelevant whether a nurse is a straight or gay man or woman, a lot people do still see it as a profession for women though but this is changing and will continue to change... none of the stereotypes or prejudices have put me off becoming a nurse to be fair, some people's attitudes are just annoying
Reply 15
If you manage to get to med school this way then you are a legend sir. Will take lots of commitment ! Good luck :smile:
Original post by SQ918
Hi all,

I'm new here and I was just wondering if there are any guys out there planning to take Nursing for 2012 Entry.

I am 17 studying Psychology and Sociology, Law and Politics and hoping to study Nursing in:
Southampton
Keele
Brighton
Plymouth; and
Staffordshire

I've read their prospectuses and they said that Psychology and Sociology will be accepted. I know Southampton is a good uni; and the reason why I want to study there is because its close to home. I'm considering Keele and is it any good studying there?

Anyone who can give me advices? :mmm::mmm:

I am getting in for this year and well excited just finishing off my A-levels actually southampton from what I understand is a great uni for nursing :wink: I am going to de montfort uni in Leicester though :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
I am getting in for this year and well excited just finishing off my A-levels actually southampton from what I understand is a great uni for nursing :wink: I am going to de montfort uni in Leicester though :tongue:

What A Level subjects are you doing? :smile:
Original post by SQ918
What A Level subjects are you doing? :smile:

Sociology, Communication and Culture and Media Studies I regret taking them to be honest if I was to do it all over again it would probably be sociology, psychology, biology :wink: But they are getting me into uni and it will be over with in a month and a bit so can't wait :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
Sociology, Communication and Culture and Media Studies I regret taking them to be honest if I was to do it all over again it would probably be sociology, psychology, biology :wink: But they are getting me into uni and it will be over with in a month and a bit so can't wait :biggrin:

Ohh okay! What offers dide you recieve? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending