The Student Room Group

Should I do a nursing college course in S5?

I'm pretty sure I want to be a nurse, and there is a college program for nursing that I would do instead of a subject in S5. I don't know wether to do it or not though? like I'm not 100 percent set in my career yet, I'm also deathly afraid of going to college without my friends since none of them want to do nursing too... should I suck it up and go? I believe I can also take it in s6 though. Anyways I need advice :,)
Why not try it out? Scottish unis only require 4 highers so even if you decide to do something completely different you won't be set back and will have an additional qualification behind you. Making friends at college and doing something independently will push you out of your comfort zone that will help you to prepare for being independent and making pals at uni. Of course you don't need a college course to go on to do nursing but the course will help you to decide whether nursing is for you or not. I'd say go for it! All the best.
Original post by stinkydia
I'm pretty sure I want to be a nurse, and there is a college program for nursing that I would do instead of a subject in S5. I don't know wether to do it or not though? like I'm not 100 percent set in my career yet, I'm also deathly afraid of going to college without my friends since none of them want to do nursing too... should I suck it up and go? I believe I can also take it in s6 though. Anyways I need advice :,)

Hi

I would suggest that you go your own way to study a career in nursing at university over three years. You'll make lots of new friends.
Just because your friends not going to do nursing doesn't mean you don't.

As long as you meeting the university minimum entry requirements for nursing then you'll have a good chance of getting a place but obviously you'll have to do yourself a brilliant personal statement plus if you get a interview do another good performance.

Below is some information about access to nursing in Scotland at Stirling university.

How to get into nursing without qualifications Scotland......
Access to Nursing Studies at the University of Stirling is an entry route to study a degree in Adult Nursing, Mental Health Nursing or Paramedic Science at Stirling. The course is for anyone living in Scotland who has few or no formal qualifications and has been out of full-time education for more than three years.

https://www.stir.ac.uk study acc...
Access to Nursing Studies - University of Stirling

==============================================
Minimum requirements for nursing in Scotland........
Entry requirements
SQA Highers
BBC
GCE A-levels
CCC
IB Diploma
28 points
BTEC
MMM

Preferred subjects
Preference will be given to those with a Science or Health Care background.

I have done my nursing degree at Stirling university many years ago and I recently decided to do the top-up shortened degree for midwifery.

A NHS Scotland dual adult nurse and midwife.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending