The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thomas...
Posh is very much an English phenomenon (if that is how it is spelt) the equivalent in other cultures would be high class and well off, but this isn't other cultures, this is England. Posh, my by definition is having a well spoken english accent, good manners and class. As opposed to snobby which is well off, well spoken, but with no class or manners.
The truth is that most international students are not the stereotype you created, but often have very native accents and are quite secular, from my experiences. Not 'posh' at all.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean - to me that reads as you saying foreigners can't have manners!

Whilst there may be some cultural differences, i think the only real difference in most cases is the accent (although even then not all cases). For me, those very rich internationals are quite likely to meet the criteria of 'rah/posh', but i guess that is just my opinion!
Original post by nexttime
I'm not entirely sure what you mean - to me that reads as you saying foreigners can't have manners!

Whilst there may be some cultural differences, i think the only real difference in most cases is the accent (although even then not all cases). For me, those very rich internationals are quite likely to meet the criteria of 'rah/posh', but i guess that is just my opinion!

Oh no I am not saying foreign students don't have manners! No, no, not at all.
Just in my opinion the pre-requeisite to being posh in Britain is to be white, upper/middle class etc...
But I do totally understand where you are coming from. Just in my experience of wealthy foreign students, they act a lot like the 'new money' in England, where they buy a lot of very chavvy/naff stuff and claim they have 'class'. For example (not saying it is chavvy) almost every weatht Indian has a mercedes-benz in the most horrid gold colour.
This is just in my experience, and I fully accept your views, you haveing gained different expieriences to me.
Original post by TurboCretin
I'd just like to point out that non-native speakers of English may be very well spoken without having an RP accent. I don't like the word posh, but I knew a guy in halls in first year who was from Dubai and apparently used to play basketball with Arabian princes etc. He was very well-mannered, well-spoken and well educated. I think he would fit most people's idea of 'posh', but he didn't speak with an RP accent.

Ok yes, I see your point. It's just I was basing the word 'posh' as very much an English idea.
Reply 283
Original post by trollman
£60 is quite expensive for a shirt, don't get me wrong I have a couple of shirts (fred perry) which were around that mark but i consider them my 'nice shirts'.

Most people our age get shirts for around £20 or less from places like topman or h&m etc. JW is very expensive OBJECTIVELY SPEAKING.

It really is subjective. I'd prefer to have fewer clothes of a higher quality than to have loads of clothes of mediocre quality. So for me, paying 60+ for a shirt is normal. Jack Wills is as 'expensive' as Urban outfitters, allsaints etc.
Original post by chidona
Durham, darling.

(There was a statistic that around 60% of Hild Bede - a BIG college - were privately educated).

Wow!!! Really? :eek:

I read somewhere that last year Durham accepted more private school students than Cambridge!!! :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 285
Original post by T. Hereford
Wow!!! Really? :eek:

I read somewhere that last year Durham accepted more private school students than Cambridge!!! :eek:

Yeah, a fair few colleges have over 40% (even 50%) private school entry rates. They tend to be Hild Bede and Bailey colleges though, you should be safe if you're on the hill haha.
In exeter the students do only 3 things:-

Chunder
Go to Burma
Tell you how over-rated Oxbridge is anyway
OK, finally.. is York rah or not?
Reply 288
I lived in Durham city for years and have been to a student thing at St Mary's, so I can confirm that there are a lot of extremely posh students at Durham.

Original post by bethnal_green
OK, finally.. is York rah or not?

A teacher told me it has one of the highest intakes of state school pupils in the country. :s-smilie:
Reply 289
I can't prove this scientifically, but just from my observations I've come to the conclusion that Oxford is chasing foreign money more than Cambridge. The amount of wealthy foreigners enrolled at Oxford I would estimate runs at 2 or 3 times more than Cambridge.

Just like the many once exclusively British institutions like the elite fee paying boarding schools, foreigners now are largely overtaking the number of British students from the oldline bluestocking families. Any look around Rodean or Eton would demonstrate that the Chinese are enrolled there now in rather large, almost dominating numbers. The same can be said for Oxford. Oxford always had a substatial number of Americans enrolled, but the student body now appears to be drawn largely from the developing world.
Reply 290
Original post by chrislpp
In exeter the students do only 3 things:-

Chunder
Go to Burma
Tell you how over-rated Oxbridge is anyway

Oh please.
Reply 291
Original post by Timon
Just like the many once exclusively British institutions like the elite fee paying boarding schools, foreigners now are largely overtaking the number of British students from the oldline bluestocking families. Any look around Rodean or Eton would demonstrate that the Chinese are enrolled there now in rather large, almost dominating numbers. The same can be said for Oxford. Oxford always had a substatial number of Americans enrolled, but the student body now appears to be drawn largely from the developing world.

But isn't it becoming like that at all British universities, not just Oxbridge? The number of international students is increasing in general. Universities around here such as Sunderland and Teesside seem to have a lot of foreign students, too.
Reply 292
Original post by Lumen
But isn't it becoming like that at all British universities, not just Oxbridge? The number of international students is increasing in general. Universities around here such as Sunderland and Teesside seem to have a lot of foreign students, too.

You know, I think they always enrolled a lot of foreign students, as a rule, or as a courtesy, if you will, but it seems in this day and age they are outright chasing foreign money with even greater ferocity. This sort of thing always makes me wonder how many British students with excellent grades and abilities are passed over for a foreign student who is willing to pay twice as much. Don't let these lofty educational institutions try and fool you with their supposed piety. They're businesses like any other enterprise in the capitalistic system, and as this capitalistic system is beginning to overheat these last few years, so too is the greed and cut-thoat commitment to survivalism coming from these supposedly noble institutions.
Original post by Timon
I can't prove this scientifically, but just from my observations I've come to the conclusion that Oxford is chasing foreign money more than Cambridge. The amount of wealthy foreigners enrolled at Oxford I would estimate runs at 2 or 3 times more than Cambridge.

You're right, you can't prove this statistically. There is no evidence to back this up at all, in fact. Actually looking at the data, Cambridge admits more internationals than Oxford. Source. Note that both have lower international intakes than most other universities, the main culprits being Lampeter, LSE and Uni of Buckingham (with its 75% international intake :eek: ).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 294
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNz-P5WMQ8w&feature=related

This is easily the most hilarious thing on TSR ever!
It makes me worry how much people spend sending their children to these schools in the UK, only to get ^^ as a product. I have to say maybe it depends on the course you are on because reading this thread, you have just about named most of the Universities in the UK.

My course definitely has these people, in fact, possible 70% of them are rah and a good 29% just posh snobs.
The problem is you can't judge by going to the school, they usually get as many different* students as possible to make you think you will fit in.

Anyway, thanks for the laughs - the videos and comments are just hilarious.
Of the great universities - Oxford, Cambridge, Hull - I think Hull has the least rahs.

Not many rahs in Cardiff at all. Not bad given there's 30,000 students at the uni. Perhaps they just get drowned out by the commoners.
I went to Nottingham a few weeks back when they were still in term. Bloody hell. Thought I was in the more well-off bits of Surrey. Some people there reminded me of all the worst aspects and people of private school
Original post by Lewroll
Bloody hell. Surely they arent really like that. If that guy went to my school, he would be stabbed. I dont know how long i could put up with people like that. 'Chundered', 'lash' wtf

omg i lol'ed myself to death :rofl:
Original post by Timon
You know, I think they always enrolled a lot of foreign students, as a rule, or as a courtesy, if you will, but it seems in this day and age they are outright chasing foreign money with even greater ferocity. This sort of thing always makes me wonder how many British students with excellent grades and abilities are passed over for a foreign student who is willing to pay twice as much. Don't let these lofty educational institutions try and fool you with their supposed piety. They're businesses like any other enterprise in the capitalistic system, and as this capitalistic system is beginning to overheat these last few years, so too is the greed and cut-thoat commitment to survivalism coming from these supposedly noble institutions.

Foreign students pay so much more I think we should actually be more thankful to them! The government can only pay for a certain amount of English students to university... so why not allow more foreign students to come and bring money into our country? The quota for home and foreign students are fixed, so i don't think they are stealing our places.

What's the problem with greed? If I was a lecturer, I would want my job to stay before you try and cut a lot of the market away just so less talented english kids can go to "better" universities.

The world is founded on greed! If steve jobs didn't love money so much, would we have Iphones, or if Dyson didn't want money, would our floors be so clean? The world is ran by the greedy, not lofty dicks who complain about capitalism and greed and then smoke weed and do **** all with their lives (not talking about you IMO, just needed to dramatise the end of my rant.)
Original post by Aeschylus
I went to Nottingham a few weeks back when they were still in term. Bloody hell. Thought I was in the more well-off bits of Surrey. Some people there reminded me of all the worst aspects and people of private school

If that's true I'm a bit afraid about fitting in at Nottingham. I'm starting my course at Nottingham Uni in a month and I come from a working class background.

Well, I can't possibly be the only one non-rah there (happy thoughts, happy thoughs) :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending