The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by SN-RAVER
what is the big hype about bill mo and rig-rutt? and why does everyone seem to prefer the idea of self catered accomodation?

if you don't go self-catered, then these may be your eating time

Meal services take lecture times into account and can vary slightly between dining halls. Approximate serving times are:

Breakfast 8am 8.45am. Late Continental Breakfast 8.45am 9.30am.
Lunch 12.00pm 1.30pm. Dinner 5.00pm 6.30pm.

Weekends only:

Brunch 11.30am 1pm. Evening Meal 4.45pm 6pm
(taken from uni website)

so if you want a lie in, you miss a meal, if you get late lectures, you miss a meal, however there is an option to reserve a meal but still lol. and you get set meal plans which, but if you may not like the food they serve so youre wasting money on it

but you can go self-catered, then get a diners card and you cna get a meal in the catered halls for a fee which may be better if youre too lazy to cook one evening :smile:

o and in catered kitchens, some dont have full facilities, so you may just have a toaster and kettle
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
I've been looking at Butler Court Large Ensuite, as it's around the same price as Rigg-Rut and Bakewell, is it particularly better/worse than these two in certain aspects. I know that the latter are newer, but I'm gathering the large ensuite is quite good? I've read previous posts regarding the common room, this is pretty cool :smile: X

Ooh also, I know it says there are limited standard rooms available, does this mean that there's less people to a shared bathroom? Also, are these rooms nice compared to the other standard rooms available? FINALLY - does anyone have photos of large ensuite rooms? On the site there's only deluxe :frown:

Thanks in advance xxxx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 242
Original post by mint treasure
Hey!
Could anyone, please tell more about Telford, Harry French, Butler Court and Falkner Eggington halls?
Planning to take standard room.
Are they in a good location, how many people share bathroom, toilet, kitchen, are they in a good condition, are rooms joined in flats or only corridors, safety there, communities?
How far is Tesco? Do they deliver to rooms?

I'm currently staying in Harry French. The courts of Harry French have 6 people to a flat (all of the same sex with girls all upstairs and guys generally on the ground floor.) The flats have 2 toilets in each and 1 shower. The bedrooms are quite big compared to other halls standard bedrooms, and same with the kitchen. Very safe unless you're living on the ground floor and leave your window open whilst not in your room.. Tesco deliver to Harry French Car Park and help bring the food into your flat. :smile:
Also, Harry French is the closest hall to town, Sainsburies, and the Student Union.
(edited 12 years ago)
I just got the accommoodation email, I did a little squeal when I saw it. :p:
Apparantly, it opens on June 2nd.
Reply 244
Original post by Colour Me Pretty

For some people the accommodation opens on 31st may, but yours probably open in June because of your course, so don't worry if people start saying the applied and secured their rooms before you :-)

Same! Says June 1st for me though. I can't wait!
Reply 246
Original post by mollymoo
No email yet :frown:

Don't worry if:-) they normally send it like 6/7 days before you actually can apply, so you may get it this week, but they reserve a certain amount if rooms for each course, so the rooms won't be full of psychology or English or whatever.

So just hold on a little while longer and you'll be fine :-)

Mine said 3rd June =/ not sure if i like being the latest one so far..
Mine says the 1st of june at 1.30PM.
Original post by IanLim93

Don't worry about being one of the latest date - the room types are spread out evenly between the days so you should have pretty much the same options available as someone who applies on the first day. They just do it to save the servers crashing with everyone applying at the same time (as you usually get with trying to buy, e.g. festival tickets)

Original post by xnatalie01x
Same! Says June 1st for me though. I can't wait!

Ahh, as much as I understand why they're doing this, I'd rather be one of the first ones! Mine opens up at 9am so I'll be anxiously be hovering near my laptop on the morning. :p:
Original post by babyinks
For some people the accommodation opens on 31st may, but yours probably open in June because of your course, so don't worry if people start saying the applied and secured their rooms before you :-)

Ah, thanks!
I do wish I was one of the earlier ones though!
Ahh, as much as I understand why they're doing this, I'd rather be one of the first ones! Mine opens up at 9am so I'll be anxiously be hovering near my laptop on the morning. :p:

I know...I think everyone's chances are the same though, hopefully? The worst thing is in the email it said something like don't log in too early or the page won't be able to refresh in time... I can just imagine me doing something like that, stuck and unable to log in! That would be bad :biggrin:
I know...I think everyone's chances are the same though, hopefully?

Yes, you're not disadvantaged by not being able to apply until a later date. People who can apply on May 31st have no more chance of getting their first choice than people who can apply from June 2nd.
Reply 254
I know...I think everyone's chances are the same though, hopefully? The worst thing is in the email it said something like don't log in too early or the page won't be able to refresh in time... I can just imagine me doing something like that, stuck and unable to log in! That would be bad :biggrin:

For me i logged on at 9, however cos i applied last year but didn't get in, i used the same account, but it didnt work so i had a mad dash creating a new account to apply, and i eventually securesd my room at 9.06 lol

But if you do login too early, se a different browser and you should be able to login :-)

just make sure you wifi. Or whatever is working lol
Original post by Wednesday Bass
Don't worry about being one of the latest date - the room types are spread out evenly between the days so you should have pretty much the same options available as someone who applies on the first day. They just do it to save the servers crashing with everyone applying at the same time (as you usually get with trying to buy, e.g. festival tickets)

i know but i rather get it over and done with =/

Same =/ good luck in securing your room tho. What hall do you plan to apply for?
Reply 256
If the people who can apply on say the 31st May don't get their preferred room, then surely they can try again at 9am the next day when another batch of room availability comes on line? Doesn't that make it more difficult for those applying later in the week to get their first choice - because potentially more people could be trying?

For example - I want Bill Mo ensuite and can apply at 9am on Thursday 2nd. If someone else has 9am on 1st June as their date to apply and they log in at 9.10 to find all Bill Mo ensuite rooms gone, then they could just try at 9am on 2nd June when some more rooms have been released into the system couldn't they?

I hope so! I really don't want to end up sharing a room in Butler Court. :lol:

Same! I had visions of my laptop crashing and me desperately hitting it whilst starting to cry.

You're doing Publishing with English aren't you? You'll probably see me in some of the English lectures. :awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 258
Original post by BelBon1
If the people who can apply on say the 31st May don't get their preferred room, then surely they can try again at 9am the next day when another batch of room availability comes on line? Doesn't that make it more difficult for those applying later in the week to get their first choice - because potentially more people could be trying?

For example - I want Bill Mo ensuite and can apply at 9am on Thursday 2nd. If someone else has 9am on 1st June as their date to apply and they log in at 9.10 to find all Bill Mo ensuite rooms gone, then they could just try at 9am on 2nd June when some more rooms have been released into the system couldn't they?

Yes youll still have a chance. They spread it equally among the days so if you dont get it the first day, you still have a chance the other days
i know but i rather get it over and done with =/

Same =/ good luck in securing your room tho. What hall do you plan to apply for?

Cheers!
I'm applying for William Morris, Robert Bakewell and I'm undecided on the other.

What are you applying for? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending