The Student Room Group

Elms Village reviews

I've just put my firm down as english at Queens so looking at accomodation here at the moment... was thinking of elms village, was wondering if anyone could tell me what they thought of the halls?
Reply 1
they are fine
never been in them but driving past they look good and its in a really nice area
Reply 3
They've made some real improvements to Elms since i lived there.
You get a basic room [with bed, sink, mirror, wardrobe type thing (just some shelves and a rail with a curtain - does the job), a desk and chair and an internet cable]
Floors have 11ish bedrooms and 2 showers and 2 toilets [for non-ensuite] or a bathroom in your room if you're ensuite. Plus the kitchen which has the general stuff [kettles, hobs, ovens, sinks, table and chairs, tv and sofas etc]
There's a shop, a bar and a restaurant in the 'Tree House' and security at the gates 24 hours a day.

It really depends on the people you get placed with, i got horrible people so my time in Elms wasn't great :/ but now i think you can choose whether you want to live in single sex/quiet living/no alcohol etc.

Security can be a bit of an issue, you have to show your key card and student card if you're coming in after 11, visitors are only allowed to stay over 3 nights per month and have to be signed in by 7pm.

Elms is about a 10/15 minute walk from the uni, 30ish to the city centre so its in a pretty good location. [There's a bus stop just down the road if you can't be bothered walking :P]

Overall, it was a great place to live in first year, you meet loads of people especially in the first few weeks and it really does make you feel like a proper student.
thanks for the feedback!
Reply 5
I just firmed English with Creative Writing :smile: Also thinking about Elms. I was just wondering what the ensuites were like? I researched accomodation for other universities and got quite nervous when I heard that their definition of ensuite tended to be a hole in the ground and a bucket :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by wordjunkie
I just firmed English with Creative Writing :smile: Also thinking about Elms. I was just wondering what the ensuites were like? I researched accomodation for other universities and got quite nervous when I heard that their definition of ensuite tended to be a hole in the ground and a bucket :frown:

I wasnt in ensuite, but i saw other people's and they were pretty nice. Really small, but it did the job. Shower, sink and toilet.
If you get ensuite, your room is also quite a bit bigger than non-ensuite rooms.
Reply 7
Original post by Poke
I wasnt in ensuite, but i saw other people's and they were pretty nice. Really small, but it did the job. Shower, sink and toilet.
If you get ensuite, your room is also quite a bit bigger than non-ensuite rooms.

Sounds great! Thanks for the info :smile:
Reply 8
:tongue:
Original post by SingMeALullaby
I've just put my firm down as english at Queens so looking at accomodation here at the moment... was thinking of elms village, was wondering if anyone could tell me what they thought of the halls?

Elms is really good as far as student accomodation goes! I'm originally from England so i've seen plenty of my friends halls and I'd say Elms is the best of the ones I've seen.

One of the great things about elms that people overlook is it's size! At most unis in england there are several small clusters of halls located around the city, whereas in Belfast it's just elms, that means that if you make friends with someone on your course, chances are they live in elms too and are no more than a stones throw away. It also means the place can afford to run some decent facilities - the bar is great quality and runs the same offers as the union, it also has a couple of pool tables that are usually available to use, also the food available at the restaurant is actually really good and not many people seem to use it, which seems odd to me :P As well as that there is the shop which is great for the basic stuff you might forget from the big shop, or just for grabbing a quick snack!

That's all I can think of that hasn't already been said I think
Original post by ZJ4GK
:tongue:

Elms is really good as far as student accomodation goes! I'm originally from England so i've seen plenty of my friends halls and I'd say Elms is the best of the ones I've seen.

One of the great things about elms that people overlook is it's size! At most unis in england there are several small clusters of halls located around the city, whereas in Belfast it's just elms, that means that if you make friends with someone on your course, chances are they live in elms too and are no more than a stones throw away. It also means the place can afford to run some decent facilities - the bar is great quality and runs the same offers as the union, it also has a couple of pool tables that are usually available to use, also the food available at the restaurant is actually really good and not many people seem to use it, which seems odd to me :P As well as that there is the shop which is great for the basic stuff you might forget from the big shop, or just for grabbing a quick snack!

That's all I can think of that hasn't already been said I think

thankenu for your helpful advice :biggrin:
Reply 10
I move out of Elms on monday after my final exam.

I'm in ensuite and I found no issues with the bathroom. I actually liked it. The only problem is that you have to keep the door closed after you shower just incase all the steam sets off the fire alarm. Wait about 15 minutes then you should be ok. Also - when having a shower, keep the shower curtain INSIDE the lip of the stall or you will grow a nice lake on your bathroom floor! I've done that a few times now.

The rooms themselves are a good size, in comparison to other university halls that I've seen. There's a huge desk and a decent sized bed - though the mattress has plastic around it (for cleaning I guess!) so I suggest a bed sheet (I used 2) so that you arent slipping and sliding during the night. The shelf over the desk has a light underneath which is well lit for nighttime. There is a switch (like a light switch on a wall) on the white plug bar strip of sorts over the desk. There's a switch on the light itself aswell, under the shelf, so if you flip it but the light doesnt come on, check that the other switch is on too.

There's 4 plug sockets over the desk and a port for the internet cable. When connecting to the internet, you have to plug in the lead to the port and to your computer. I can't remember, but you may have to configure it in some way on the computer. To connect to the internet once you're plugged in, you have to bring up internet explorer and the first thing you should see is a page leading you to another, then you have to use your student details to login - student number and password. You'll get them in september. You have to login everytime you turn on the computer, at least, I did.

Hmm, what else.. the heating is only on for set times throughout the day, 7am-9am and 5pm-10pm. Hot water is pretty much available all day, at least I've had only one or two colder showers at like 1 in the morning. Usually it's fine, may take a few minutes to warm up.

The cupboard is a bunch of shelves with hanging space that is covered with a curtain. It's pretty adequate. Plenty of space for stuff.

OH! There's light switches for the bathroom and the bedroom at the door, but there's also one for the bedroom right above the bed, which saves alot of hassle!

The Treehouse has a Mace shop (with its only mini-deli, icecream bar, ATM and pretty awesome Pick n Mix selection :biggrin:) , washing machines + dryers, computers and the bar/cafe. The cafe food is really good, especially the goujons! There's some pool tables, and downstairs there are some vending machines. You can also hire a hoover here for an hour.

Cleaners come weekly. If you are (unfortunatley) like me, you may live with a few food-stealing, dishes-using-and-not-cleaning and messy slobs. Not everyone is like that, but you do get the certain few. If the kitchen is a mess (like ours often was) the cleaners eventually complain because all they do is the floors and counters and you get a warning email and eventually a 'floor meeting'. If it continues there may be 'disaplinary action'. Not sure what that is yet!

All the buildings got new red leather sofas this year, which was good! They'll all be nice and worn in by the time the new students come in this year :biggrin:

The walk down to the school seems a bit daunting at first, but you get used to it. It's just annoying when you are half asleep in the morning. It takes about 15 minutes to do. There's pretty much a constant stream of students going down it. You've got the Spar and on down the road the Centra for drinks and food on the way to class. Tesco's is on the Lisburn Rd which isnt far. If you come out of Elms, cross the lights right on the road and take the first left, you can follow that road over to Lisburn Rd, turn right and Tescos is just there.

That's all I can think of!
Reply 11
Original post by cherryy09

Cleaners come weekly. If you are (unfortunatley) like me, you may live with a few food-stealing, dishes-using-and-not-cleaning and messy slobs. Not everyone is like that, but you do get the certain few. If the kitchen is a mess (like ours often was) the cleaners eventually complain because all they do is the floors and counters and you get a warning email and eventually a 'floor meeting'. If it continues there may be 'disaplinary action'. Not sure what that is yet!

The walk down to the school seems a bit daunting at first, but you get used to it. It's just annoying when you are half asleep in the morning. It takes about 15 minutes to do.

!

In the case of my floor in Elms, the cleaners just plain refused to go near our kitchen :P And disciplinary action: They put you all in a room with some 'important' person and ask you what you think you could do better to ensure a harmonious environment and then give you the choice of either cleaning the kitchen yourself or them using your deposits to pay for outside cleaners to come in and do it for you.. lol.

And regarding the walk to the uni, the worst feeling in the world is trying to get to class after a night out, and standing at the bottom of the hill up to the main road trying not to just run back to bed!
Reply 12
I've been in them once. Unlike in England, vast majority of students rent houses because halls arent great here and are very expensive in comparison. And its pretty strict.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending