The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by fortunecookie
When sections of DNA are put into BACS to create clone libraries. Is that basically a slower version of PCR?

No its different, BAC is a larger version of genome sequencing. PCR is slightly different as your making many copies of the sample. BAC is what was used for the Human Genome Project. From what i have read and with teacher input i think we just need to know the outline of BAC without much detail as we will need to know genome sequencing in more detail.

Genome sequencing is for up to about 100,000 bases.
BAC is for 3900,000,000 bases (the human genome).
Have you all finished the course? We finished Genes and Genomes, but haven't started Plant Responses and we've finished, so we have to teach ourselves! Any advice please?
And I'm revising muscle contractions, I need a B so lots of work!!
Right I got hold of my teacher and she categorically told me that we don't need to know about BAC's. What we need to know for sequencing is the automated termination method. Thanks god o_o I was having mini- mycardial infarctions!
Reply 443
Original post by Jacinta_kid
Have you all finished the course? We finished Genes and Genomes, but haven't started Plant Responses and we've finished, so we have to teach ourselves! Any advice please?
And I'm revising muscle contractions, I need a B so lots of work!!

Plant responses is a fairly easy topic - the textbook does cover it pretty much exactly. Its mostly evaluating experimental data, so as long as you vaguely understand the usual functions of each plant hormone, you should be fine :smile: And the only thing thats different about plant hormones and human hormones is that plant hormones can affect different tissues in different ways, and sometimes can inhibit eachother and sometimes stimulate greater production of another hormone. They behave pretty unpredictably really!

Original post by slacker07906
Right I got hold of my teacher and she categorically told me that we don't need to know about BAC's. What we need to know for sequencing is the automated termination method. Thanks god o_o I was having mini- mycardial infarctions!

Thank god for that - I was getting scared seeing everyone on here going on about BACs, knowing it had only been given as an example by my teacher...
So relieved now :smile:

Also, who's doing the random repping on this thread... Seems like people have been repped for really unrepworthy questions haha
Reply 444
BAC is one method of sequencing a genome, chain termination is another method.

BAC is basically just inserting the DNA into E.coli and letting them multiply, from there you use restriction enzymes and begin the chain termination method.
Reply 445
I am totally freaking out over this exam!! i need 120/150 in this AND 72/90 in my f214 resit to get an A !
Does this sound unrealistic to achieve? What ums does everyone need??

Also, can someone actually clarify what allopatric anf sympatric speciation is?? Thanks!
Reply 446
Can someone please help explain what exactly we need to know about artifical selection of wheat?
Thanks
Also, can someone actually clarify what allopatric anf sympatric speciation is?? Thanks!
Think allopatric is where they inhabit different geographical areas and sympatric is where they inhabit the same area.
Reply 448
do you think that punnet square could come up.... genetics.... what are the chances?
Reply 449
Original post by greenford
do you think that punnet square could come up.... genetics.... what are the chances?

Definitely - its a REALLY big topic, and apparently it hasn't come up much in the past.
Anyone care to sum-up Immobilized enzymes? The different types? I've just spent the last six hours revising and want to learn something else with the least possible work involved :rolleyes:
Original post by slacker07906

Original post by tesha_al

thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by lola1993
Think allopatric is where they inhabit different geographical areas and sympatric is where they inhabit the same area.

do we have to know about different types of speciation?? :s-smilie:
Original post by merrmerr
I am totally freaking out over this exam!! i need 120/150 in this AND 72/90 in my f214 resit to get an A !
Does this sound unrealistic to achieve? What ums does everyone need??

How do you work out what you need in f215 because I'd like to know mine?
BTW I don't think that is too unrealistic but it'll require quite a bit of revision and understanding.

Allopatric speciation is geographical isolation. It involves a combination of genetic drift and natural selection.
Sympatric speciation is when it's not geographically isolated, so this occurs in the same area. It can be a result of polyploidy.
Original post by Wor Carroll
BTW I don't think that is too unrealistic but it'll require quite a bit of revision and understanding.

Allopatric speciation is geographical isolation. It involves a combination of genetic drift and natural selection.
Sympatric speciation is when it's not geographically isolated, so this occurs in the same area. It can be a result of polyploidy.

If you want me to work it out, PM me your module UMS and what you got in your practical /40 this year and I can tell you :smile:
ok guys i need some help, i am looking over genome sequencing and have come to find out that there are two ways of sequencing: the BAC to BAC method and then the shotgun sequencing method. Can someone please outline what are the steps to the sequencing method we need to know as its driving me nuts. thanks
Reply 456
Does anyone just try to memorise certain topics without having real understanding?
I feel I am hitting a dead end with some stuff, I am just trying to parrot memorise it.................
Original post by Mobs25
No its different, BAC is a larger version of genome sequencing. PCR is slightly different as your making many copies of the sample. BAC is what was used for the Human Genome Project. From what i have read and with teacher input i think we just need to know the outline of BAC without much detail as we will need to know genome sequencing in more detail.

Genome sequencing is for up to about 100,000 bases.
BAC is for 3900,000,000 bases (the human genome).

Ahh I see, that makes sense. I guess you'd have to do PCR a LOT in order to replicate it, so a lot of effort.

Yeah, was just trying to get my head around it. Because in the 'outline DNA sequencing' it had the use of BAC's. So when is PCR used? Replicating DNA when searching for genetic diseases? I hate all this stuff!
Original post by Wor Carroll

This has stuff for all of my subjects, but when you come to the biology one type in your UMS marks and on the right hand side it will tell you what you need in F215.
Can someone explain the behaviour of centrioles in meiosis? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending