The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Hey do you guys think we are meant to know all the stages of succession in sand dunes including the names of the plants eg prickly sandwort :s-smilie: lol
Reply 521
Original post by Mcfilly
Ah I see sorry!! Divide your mark by 40 and then multiply the answer by 60 and that is the UMS mark :smile: x

no its not done like that
Reply 522
Does anyone have any idea what sort of questions will be asked on gene technology? even legacy papers have virtually nothing on it to get an idea of what sort of things they could ask!

Need an A in this exam, not looking forward to this exam atall!
Reply 523
Original post by merrmerr
Hey do you guys think we are meant to know all the stages of succession in sand dunes including the names of the plants eg prickly sandwort :s-smilie: lol

No, just the basic principles and a few names, e.g marram grass as pioneer species and what not.

I'd use sucession on rocks as an example, much more easier tbh.
Reply 524

You have to know about succession from one example, ie sand dunes or from rocks exposed by glacier movement... But, you just need to know the general gist of it - so you know what the pioneer species, and can give an example of stuff that might be in the climax community.
Original post by Wor Carroll
Who else needs an A overall in Biology?

For Warwick, it is "preferable" (in their words) since I'm doing a Biology related course :rolleyes:

I take it you need an overall A? :wink:
Original post by Kidms001
For Warwick, it is "preferable" (in their words) since I'm doing a Biology related course :rolleyes:

I take it you need an overall A? :wink:

What course are you applying to?
I put Warwick as my insurance for Biochemistry. Might see you there, but hopefully not :smile: as long as I achieve the grades for my firm.

Yeah I need an overall A and someone on TSR earlier kindly worked out for me what I need in this exam. I was surprised when I found out it's only 73 UMS, so I can relax a little bit, but I don't want to get complacent!

Yes you do moraine,etc
Original post by Wor Carroll
What course are you applying to?
I put Warwick as my insurance for Biochemistry. Might see you there, but hopefully not :smile: as long as I achieve the grades for my firm.

Yeah I need an overall A and someone on TSR earlier kindly worked out for me what I need in this exam. I was surprised when I found out it's only 73 UMS, so I can relax a little bit, but I don't want to get complacent!

I'm for Chemical Biology at Warwick, so naturally they would like an A in Biology, but I HAVE to get an A in Chemistry. And you're lucky you need that little! That's like under 50% :eek:

I think I require around 100 UMS for an A, though I can't be certain :biggrin:
Reply 529
Original post by Mobs25
Genome is the sum of the genetic information in a organism, that genetic information is DNA. So yeh DNA sequencing is similar genome sequencing but at a smaller scale. It doesn't matter, we need to know the steps for it only.

Quick DNA replication summary:
1. DNA polymerase attaches onto DNA molecule
2. DNA unwinds and unzips, breaking hydrogen bonds
3. free dna nucleotides in the nucleus are joined together by complementary base paring
4. the sugar-phosphate backbone joins with covalent bonds (phosodiester bonds)
5. you are left with two new dna molecules identical to the original dna

Difference is that in DNA replication we don't use NTPs, ddNTPs etc. We don't need to know about DNA replication for unit 5, we do need to know about protein synthesis. But, synoptic question on dna rep? maybe

I hope that helps people who are confused with genome sequencing. From what i have seen my steps above and in my previous post are correct. Maybe the fact im using ddNTP and NTP is confusing, that part is basically the chain-terminator reaction. For ref, pages 166 to 167 (this talks about BAC). Pages 172 to 173 (genome sequencing).

@slacker07906, i wouldn't imagine we need to know about BAC as that process is just telling us how the human genome project worked and how they did it all, its not on the spec to learn it. What is on the spec is the genome sequencing which is what ive summaried in my previous post.

so basically when they ask us to describe sequencing we should talk about ddNTP and terminating the sequence and arranging them in order by electrophoresis &
when they talk about DNA replication...we should talk about PCR

thanks a lot for your help
Reply 530
can someone please 'distinguish between the terms conservation and preservation'?
Original post by wilsea05
can someone please 'distinguish between the terms conservation and preservation'?

Conservation involves management and reclamation but the area can still be sustainably exploited. Preservation usually involves protecting areas of land, as yet unused by humans, in their ‘untouched’ form
Reply 532
Original post by wilsea05

Conservation is active management - so something is done to maintain biodiversity, or improve it. People will plant more trees, captive breeding programs etc. Whereas preservation means keeping it exactly the same ie. stick a fence around it and leave it alone :smile:

Obviously you'd write it a bit more formally than that in the exam, but thats how I remember it :smile:
Is anyone looking at conservation from last year like gene/seed banks etc? :s-smilie:
Reply 534
Hi guys, can someone explain the downstreaming processing to remove a product from a fermenter such as in the production of penicillin?
Original post by Mcfilly
Ah I see sorry!! Divide your mark by 40 and then multiply the answer by 60 and that is the UMS mark :smile: x

It not done like this at all, what you have said is just wrong.
Original post by ksahnan
Hi guys, can someone explain the downstreaming processing to remove a product from a fermenter such as in the production of penicillin?

Downstream processing is a combination of four applied operations that bring penicillin from a fermentation broth and make progressive improvements in its purity and concentration. The four stages are centrifugation, product isolation, product purification and finally product polishing. For example...

(Question) Why is downstream processing essential in the production of penicillin?

(Answer) It is used to recover penicillin from the fermenter broth and purify penicillin.

2 marking points - recover and purify
Would you guys want to do a revision thread quiz type thing where you write a question and then someone below answers it, writing a new question underneath?
Reply 538
Need an A on this paper. Is it time to start panicking yet? :frown:
Reply 539
Original post by entertheOJI
It not done like this at all, what you have said is just wrong.

pretty sure my head of sixth form went through it and did it exactly like that ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending