The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This paper has only ONCE been set in January. This was when therre was a shift from the modified Curriculum 2000 spec to the current GCE 2008 spec. In order to allow resits for the last cohort of the 2000 spec they put a resit on in January 2010. If you check the Edexcel website you'll see it does not list either for this 2011 or 2012 any january slot for Implications. The grade boundaries document for 2010 does not list any Implications, and the website does not - either in the public or the secure area - have any reference to January papers, mark schemes or examiners reports for January Implications. That's because they do not exist.

Hope that clears things up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by sendintheclowns
This paper has only ONCE been set in January. This was when therre was a shift from the modified Curriculum 2000 spec to the current GCE 2008 spec. In order to allow resits for the last cohort of the 2000 spec they put a resit on in January 2009. If you check the Edexcel website you'll see it does not list either for this 2011 or 2012 any january slot for Implications. The grade boundaries document for 2010 does not list any Implications, and the website does not - either in the public or the secure area - have any reference to January papers, mark schemes or examiners reports for January Implications. That's because they do not exist.

Hope that clears things up.

I'm confused, why would they have this January 2010 exam on their website if no-one actually sat it?:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/GCE%20January%202010%20-%20QP/6584_1A_que_20100129.pdf
Original post by miss_boyes
I'm confused, why would they have this January 2010 exam on their website if no-one actually sat it?:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/GCE%20January%202010%20-%20QP/6584_1A_que_20100129.pdf

Sorry, typo in my last mail, the January resit that actually happened was Jan 2010, for the U6 that had left in summer 2009 and had begun their AS in September 2007 - they were the last cohort to go thru' the old spec, and so they put a special resit exam on for them. Importantly, it was a RESIT exam only, i.e. no-one was taking that paper early in their U6 year (which is why the current spec grade boundaries list nothing for 2010 January), that year's U6 were doing a differently structured specification - the same one that you are doing now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
wat does U6 mean? :s-smilie:
Reply 64
Okay so there was no January exam this year? I seriously hope for Ayer, so baaaaaad. Though i'm struggling on unit 3 as it is!
Reply 65

Sorry, typo in my last mail, the January resit that actually happened was Jan 2010, for the U6 that had left in summer 2009 and had begun their AS in September 2007 - they were the last cohort to go thru' the old spec, and so they put a special resit exam on for them. Importantly, it was a RESIT exam only, i.e. no-one was taking that paper early in their U6 year (which is why the current spec grade boundaries list nothing for 2010 January), that year's U6 were doing a differently structured specification - the same one that you are doing now.

If there is def no jan exam then where did this post get their info from?:

june 08: Ayer (para.5)
jan 09: ?
june 09: Westphal (?)
jan 10: Ayer (para.8)
june 10: Donovan (?)
jan 11: Westphal (?)

so, hypothetically, if there is no jan exam; what have the lest 3 papers been and what is most likely to come up; or not to come up? thanks
Reply 66
Original post by hingerw

so, hypothetically, if there is no jan exam; what have the lest 3 papers been and what is most likely to come up; or not to come up? thanks

My teacher thinks that it will be Donovan or Ayer, but leaning more towards Ayer.
Reply 67
is people sayin dat westphal didnt com up dis jan 2011?:s
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by hingerw

Yeah so without the January exams (besides 2010) now the list should be:
june 09: Westphal (para. 1 and 2)
june 10: Donovan (para. 1 and 2)

So surely Donovan is the least likely to come up and Ayer is the most likely as they haven't had a major summer exam on him for 3 years, but I guess Westphal could come up too :/
Reply 69
* I filled in the paragraphs we didn't have in the list from looking at some exam papers. I was a bit surprised they chose the introduction for both Westphal and Donovan!
Original post by Kaskade
My teacher thinks that it will be Donovan or Ayer, but leaning more towards Ayer.

Everyone thinks Ayer's going to come up so I bet Donovan comes up! I'll be screwed.
As long as it isn't Westphal. I could blag my way through Donovan if need be but Westphal is currently a no go. :s-smilie:
Reply 72
Original post by diamonddust
Everyone thinks Ayer's going to come up so I bet Donovan comes up! I'll be screwed.

Donovan came up last year so I doubt it... Westphal or Ayer :P
Reply 73
Does anyone have any exemplar essays for developments on life after death and ethics- deontology, virtue ethics and natural law? I want 2 have an idea of how to debate and compare and contrast in my essays? thanks
Reply 74
Original post by Cheekybelle
Does anyone have any exemplar essays for developments on life after death and ethics- deontology, virtue ethics and natural law? I want 2 have an idea of how to debate and compare and contrast in my essays? thanks

I was thinking the same but I have no idea :/
thanks for your help. still my teacher is adamant that one of the scholars came twice in a row, so she said she wouldnt be suprised if donovan came up again.
whydoes everyone find westphal difficult? after ayer, hes my favourite! his layout makes sense and the people he cites are good
as for donovan.. bleh. i dont really get the whole point of his entire article, if all he does is say at the end of it not very much at all!
Just to clarify, was there an exam this January and was it Westphal?
Original post by LouieCurly
Yeah, to be honest, I don't really think I'll be able to manage all 3 with all the revision for developments I have to do too. (I'm an AS student, taking this exam a year early)
So if there's any way I can eliminate one philosopher for definite, that'd be great.
Anyone have any clues?

You could guess at eliminating the one that came up in Jan11, but even then that's a risky path to take.
revising for this is indeed a 'risky business'
Any advice... I am desperate

does anybody have any tips on how to achieve the top marks because we have spent barely any time on this paper at school so any teacher tips or any general advice would be seriously appreciated :smile:

Thank you
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending