The Student Room Group

need help with Religious Studies revision

I'm a private candidate and I've left it very late to start Religious Studies (OCR) because of ongoing health problems.

Good news is I've recovered (for now) and I can focus all my attention on revision.

I want to first revise the most *important topics for Philosophy of Religion. Since I don't know the spec inside and out, but maybe someone could help me.

*if you know about the famous tierlist maker, where things are ranked from S tier at the top to A tier, B tier, down to F tier. I want to learn the S and A tier topics first.
https://tiermaker.com/create/
Reply 1
I can't say that there is a most important topic, especially in philosophy, there are harder topics such as religious language, so you might want to start with that. I would suggest however to start with the ancient Greek philosophers and mind body and soul, since that was what I started with and it was easy to understand and is the basis for other scholarly views. my best advice is to go through the textbook or whatever source you are using and write down key info, especially stuff that's on the spec, and then list different AO2 arguments as well as some extra scholar views :smile:
Original post by sonya05
I can't say that there is a most important topic, especially in philosophy, there are harder topics such as religious language, so you might want to start with that. I would suggest however to start with the ancient Greek philosophers and mind body and soul, since that was what I started with and it was easy to understand and is the basis for other scholarly views. my best advice is to go through the textbook or whatever source you are using and write down key info, especially stuff that's on the spec, and then list different AO2 arguments as well as some extra scholar views :smile:

I'm a bit desperate for more advice

1) any A-tier "key info" you think i should first know about?
2) are there any skills particular to Religious Studies I should work on? - e.g. essay writing (this i know),
Reply 3
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
I'm a bit desperate for more advice

1) any A-tier "key info" you think i should first know about?
2) are there any skills particular to Religious Studies I should work on? - e.g. essay writing (this i know),

Ok, first, you have to know everything on the spec for each topic, any word or phrase mentioned on the spec the exam board has the right to use as a question in the exam. So I would start off by memorising that because you need it for your AO1, any other information you learn simply improves your essay (remember to use key terms that are listed in each topic). Second, you cannot underestimate the role AO2 plays (analysis), 60% of your essay marks are awarded for AO2, not AO1, so you have to develop different arguments for each topic. Finally, scholars are also important as they elevate your essay to a higher band, this plus AO1 and AO2 you can find online like on Quizlet to help you out. For structure, I would suggest doing an intro where you introduce the topic you are writing on and mention any key terms that you will be using and then set out your line of argument that you must keep throughout the essay. I usually do three main body paragraphs but two is fine as well, start off by stating your line of arg for that paragraph, then get onto the AO1,(remember to briefly explain everything you mention, but don't get carried away, remember that its only 40% of ur essay). Then you finish off with your different AO2 arguments that you can support with scholars. Overall, just don't complicate it for yourself, something I struggled with, develop your style of writing, learn the necessary spec info, a few scholars, and just practise as much as you can. :smile:
Original post by sonya05
Ok, first, you have to know everything on the spec for each topic, any word or phrase mentioned on the spec the exam board has the right to use as a question in the exam. So I would start off by memorising that because you need it for your AO1, any other information you learn simply improves your essay (remember to use key terms that are listed in each topic). Second, you cannot underestimate the role AO2 plays (analysis), 60% of your essay marks are awarded for AO2, not AO1, so you have to develop different arguments for each topic. Finally, scholars are also important as they elevate your essay to a higher band, this plus AO1 and AO2 you can find online like on Quizlet to help you out. For structure, I would suggest doing an intro where you introduce the topic you are writing on and mention any key terms that you will be using and then set out your line of argument that you must keep throughout the essay. I usually do three main body paragraphs but two is fine as well, start off by stating your line of arg for that paragraph, then get onto the AO1,(remember to briefly explain everything you mention, but don't get carried away, remember that its only 40% of ur essay). Then you finish off with your different AO2 arguments that you can support with scholars. Overall, just don't complicate it for yourself, something I struggled with, develop your style of writing, learn the necessary spec info, a few scholars, and just practise as much as you can. :smile:

what are scholars?

are they like citations you have to find on your own?
Reply 5
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
what are scholars?

are they like citations you have to find on your own?

scholars are just that, scholars. It can be virtually anyone, theologians, philosophers, psychologists, professors, that yes you have to find on your own, but once again I suggest you look in quizlet as others have already gathered specific scholars for the different topics!
Original post by sonya05
scholars are just that, scholars. It can be virtually anyone, theologians, philosophers, psychologists, professors, that yes you have to find on your own, but once again I suggest you look in quizlet as others have already gathered specific scholars for the different topics!

will do.

what do you think about just doing only practice papers? - you learn the content, the spec and practice writing

Quick Reply

Latest