The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bright Lights
A girl from my school got in last year, and 2 boys this year...before that though, it had been a while since anyone from our school had (it's due noting that they all got into Teddy Hall, even if applications were made for elsewhere).

So I'm applying for it at New, but I have a feeling that if I get an interview, chances are I'll be pooled to Teddy Hall :lol:

What grades did they get?
Original post by MeeMee
You guys made me all nervous with this, so I now sat down all morning and finished my first draft. I now feel proud of myself even though it turned out pretty terrible and it's too long, too. Plus, I think if I'd send it off like that, they'd laugh at me. Oh well. Good thing it's just a draft. :smile:

:rolleyes: I think they're all like though. Nothing beats the cringe factor in personal statements, it must be in UCAS 101 or something.
Reply 1022
I have a first draft but it has a gigantic hole in the middle for my summer endeavours so it's at 1000 - 2000 characters... I won't be able to finish until the end of August when all of my activities finish completely :s-smilie:
Hello!
I am considering applying for Oxford, merely for the reason that I might as well...I don't know how much of a chance I really stand!
I am very keen on doing Classics and really like the idea of the combined Classics and English HOWEVER I have noticed in the prospectus that this course has an intake of 6??? Is it really that small a course and if so are the chances of me getting onto a single honours course much bigger?
Original post by Victor-PP
What grades did they get?

The girl got 2A*s at A level (Maths, Economics) and 5As at AS (according to my friend, but I never knew her).

I've talked to the boys though, they're doing A2s at the moment, they got 9 and 10 A*s at GCSE respectively, and both 5A's at AS, with straight A* prediction at A2.

Yep...pretty much makes me want to cry :eek:
The girl got 2A*s at A level (Maths, Economics) and 5As at AS (according to my friend, but I never knew her).

I've talked to the boys though, they're doing A2s at the moment, they got 9 and 10 A*s at GCSE respectively, and both 5A's at AS, with straight A* prediction at A2.

Yep...pretty much makes me want to cry :eek:

I do hope everyone applying to Oxford isn't like that :eek: :redface:
Original post by nightmare91
I'm applying for E&M :smile: Would be great if we are both lucky to get invited :biggrin: but it is sooo damn competitive... But just to get an interview would already be a great success, so let's pray :biggrin:
If its allowed to ask on this thread, what other universities are you applying to? Why did you choose Oxford over Cambridge for maths?

Praying sounds like a plan :biggrin:

I'm sure it is allowed, it's much less off-topic than some things that have been discussed. I always sort of preferred Oxford (I mean when I was too young to be serious about universities) because of the Philip Pullman books, but then I justified it with things like the fact that Cambridge has Saturday morning lectures for maths; Oxford's a bigger place; and while the Oxford offers are easy enough that you should be able to get a place if you're clever enough to get an offer, Cambridge give 400 offers for 250 places for maths. I'd rather be rejected and pick another good university than fail to meet my offer and go to my insurance.

I'm thinking of also applying to Imperial, Bristol, St Andrews. For my last place I'm not really sure, because I'd like to have somewhere lower risk - ideally somewhere I'm also definitely going to get into, so that I'll at least go to university - but can't find anywhere I really want to go to. Where else are you thinking of? Will you be applying to German universities as well?
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Praying sounds like a plan :biggrin:

I'm sure it is allowed, it's much less off-topic than some things that have been discussed. I always sort of preferred Oxford (I mean when I was too young to be serious about universities) because of the Philip Pullman books, but then I justified it with things like the fact that Cambridge has Saturday morning lectures for maths; Oxford's a bigger place; and while the Oxford offers are easy enough that you should be able to get a place if you're clever enough to get an offer, Cambridge give 400 offers for 250 places for maths. I'd rather be rejected and pick another good university than fail to meet my offer and go to my insurance.

I'm thinking of also applying to Imperial, Bristol, St Andrews. For my last place I'm not really sure, because I'd like to have somewhere lower risk - ideally somewhere I'm also definitely going to get into, so that I'll at least go to university - but can't find anywhere I really want to go to. Where else are you thinking of? Will you be applying to German universities as well?

Wow Saturday morning lectures, that sucks :biggrin:

I've had similar reasons why I chose oxford over cambridge. But I must admit that 1 year ago I wanted to apply to Cambridge because my sister attended the summer school in 2009 and just loved it there. And she also wants to apply for a Masters at cambridge next year. But regarding the German Abitur and the offer, I also thought Oxford was better because their offers are easier than Cambridge's. But also the course just attracted me more since it is Economics and Management and not just economics. And the fact that Oxford is larger also played a major role.. What I also don't like about Cambridge is that they nearly invite everyone for interviews and well I don't want to pay for a flight if my chances are slim anyways.. I mean I know in Oxford an invitation for the interviews is no guaranteed place but at least they think your one of the 40% top candidates and have a reasonable chance.

I am thinking of applying to Warwick for MORSE and Econ and UCL for Statistics, Economics and Finance. I'm still looking for a third choice. Either an easier choice where I'm def getting into or I'll just try LSE for Econ. Since in Germany you apply for uni after you get your final results in June (we don't have such thing as official predicted grades) I will only apply to German unis if I don't get into any of the british unis. But I'm only interested in two German (Mannheim Uni and Munich Uni) universities and St. Gallen in Switzerland. But well I think either uni, whether the German/swiss ones or the british will give me excellent education. But Oxford has been a dream for so long :tongue: But I agree with you, not meeting the offer would be just waaaay more terrible than not getting accepted and interviewed in the first place..
I'm going to attempt my PS on the train tomorrow. The Head of French is so enthusiastic that I'm teaching myself French and she's offering to help so much, it's so nice! As well as my real reasons for learning, I did also want to drop into my PS that I was self-learning a third language :rolleyes: Also, I'm the school's only MFL applicant, so even French are excited about me :L

God, everything's against me going tomorrow!

- The awful weather. 11 degrees and rain- I'm adamant I am not wearing jeans, but I may have to :frown:
- The fact that I have to tell my mum I'm somewhere else from where I actually am due to crazy sex attacker
- The fact that I can't just sit on the train like normal and relax! Because of the recent vandalism, I have to do half an hour on the train, twenty minutes on the bus, ten minutes on the train...plus, trains on Sunday are always dodged up/late/spaced apart
- The recent train deaths and uber delays...

I am freaking out. He says we're going to the Natural History Museum- never been there. Wish me luck, guys, I definitely need it!
Oooh yes, it's the neg-stalker! :ninja:
Original post by such_a_lady
Haha, thankyou! There is definitely a strange neg-stalker about.

Original post by anyone_can_fly

I also think this was the neg-stalker. I'd have pos-repped you to make up for it, but apparently I've repped you too recently.

And this sounds so familiar! School work, driving lessons, extended project ( the german version: 32 pages. :woo: <- this is not ironic!)....
What do you have to do for this extended-project-thing?

Original post by such_a_lady

I also need to start my PS asap! I'm being swallowed up by STUFF: A2 work (tons!), my job, driving lessons, a messy room, my Shakespeare play for which auditions start next week (that is so demanding, you have no idea- I have to do a blog for it and everything, it's my Extended Project), me having to do assemblies, teaching myself French....I might do it on the train journey to Oxford actually, interesting...
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
Partial differentiation is just your regular differentiation really. The only difference is it involves treating other variables as constants rather than implicitly differentiating like in C4. From what I've managed to gather, a good deal of the early econometrics/quantitative economics content is essentially A Level material used in a slightly different context. It's only if you decide to go down a more quantitative route after first year that you'll find the Math content to be of a much more difficult nature. That's the case for PPE at least, from what I've heard, but I suspect E&M will be the same in that sense.

I looked it up on youtube, was alot simpler than I thought :smile:
Ahkay, although there is a whole paper on quantitive methods for the first year.

Yep, PPE-ists and E&Mers do exactly the same Econ modules in the first year.
Reply 1031
Original post by nightmare91
Wow Saturday morning lectures, that sucks :biggrin:

But I'm only interested in two German (Mannheim Uni and Munich Uni) universities and St. Gallen in Switzerland. But well I think either uni, whether the German/swiss ones or the british will give me excellent education. But Oxford has been a dream for so long :tongue: But I agree with you, not meeting the offer would be just waaaay more terrible than not getting accepted and interviewed in the first place..

I know I wasn't asked but I'll say something anyway since I'm German, too. The main problem I have with German unis is that you usually do either macro or microeconomics (and you usually don't combine either with politics and philosophy which is what I want as I'm going for PPE). Anyway, I suppose you'd do BWL? I'd guess that that's more like E&M. But yeah, since I want to do micro and macro... and politics and philosophy... I don't think German unis are the place for me.
Just a question to anyone who's not busy with revision [it's pretty much me blabbing & panicking]:

My course's usual offer is 3A's. However, say you slipped up a little at AS and got AAB (or possibly ABB), would you be put off applying? Because you could resit the module (say if it was maths there are 3 modules, so only one brought you down), but by the time you're applying you'd still have that grade wouldn't you? Or if you still applied, they'd surely be less likely to offer you a place?

I understand that there are loads of contributing things to your application (ie your PS, GCSE's etc) but AS's are important, because they do show how you're doing. :s-smilie:
This probably applies to those that are doing 3 AS's, or further maths [3AS's, 4 ALevels] :/
Original post by roseroserose.
Just a question to anyone who's not busy with revision [it's pretty much me blabbing & panicking]:

My course's usual offer is 3A's. However, say you slipped up a little at AS and got AAB (or possibly ABB), would you be put off applying? Because you could resit the module (say if it was maths there are 3 modules, so only one brought you down), but by the time you're applying you'd still have that grade wouldn't you? Or if you still applied, they'd surely be less likely to offer you a place?

I understand that there are loads of contributing things to your application (ie your PS, GCSE's etc) but AS's are important, because they do show how you're doing. :s-smilie:
This probably applies to those that are doing 3 AS's, or further maths [3AS's, 4 ALevels] :/

Obviously it would be a slight disadvantage of having a B at AS but that goes for all universities really! not just Oxford. I'd say it depends on:

1. comparative to your school (they're more lenient if you go to a low performing or state school)
2. the course itself > admissions tests have more of a weighting
3. Predicted A2 grades

It would be helpful if you actually stated the course... If it is Maths, well there's no harm in trying! But most applicants do get 90+ UMS in all units, or even 100. Just remember it takes up one of your FIVE choices.
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Obviously it would be a slight disadvantage of having a B at AS but that goes for all universities really! not just Oxford. I'd say it depends on:

1. comparative to your school (they're more lenient if you go to a low performing or state school)
2. the course itself > admissions tests have more of a weighting
3. Predicted A2 grades

It would be helpful if you actually stated the course... If it is Maths, well there's no harm in trying! But most applicants do get 90+ UMS in all units, or even 100. Just remember it takes up one of your FIVE choices.

Oh no sorry I don't want to do maths! [I picked further maths at a panic, after 2 weeks of hating Law :P] I want to do History&Economics, although the AS Level I'm a little worried about is Economics.

I guess I'll have to see, I go to a state school but it's not under-performing. Hopefully the admissions tests will count for quite a lot seeing as I have to do 2 :rolleyes: Thank you for your help though! No use worrying for now I suppose :smile:
Original post by roseroserose.
Oh no sorry I don't want to do maths! [I picked further maths at a panic, after 2 weeks of hating Law :P] I want to do History&Economics, although the AS Level I'm a little worried about is Economics.

I guess I'll have to see, I go to a state school but it's not under-performing. Hopefully the admissions tests will count for quite a lot seeing as I have to do 2 :rolleyes: Thank you for your help though! No use worrying for now I suppose :smile:

Oh I see, erm depends if it was a low B or high B really I guess.

... There's only one aptitude test, and it's HAT. There isn't a one for economics...
Although you do have to submit 2 essays.

just...WAIT TILL AUGUST TO *maybe* PANIC
I'm so fussy with uni's, I cannot choose an insurance! What are people generally going for as their 5th choice? I'm toying with Exeter because its really pretty, but its still in the top 15 or so for Economics...it's apparently not had to get an offer from, butt the offer will be high, which won't do as a parachute because I need one that'll accept me if I don't get good grades.
I'm so fussy with uni's, I cannot choose an insurance! What are people generally going for as their 5th choice? I'm toying with Exeter because its really pretty, but its still in the top 15 or so for Economics...it's apparently not had to get an offer from, butt the offer will be high, which won't do as a parachute because I need one that'll accept me if I don't get good grades.

Manchester, the area is good and they only want a B in the third subject
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Oh I see, erm depends if it was a low B or high B really I guess.

... There's only one aptitude test, and it's HAT. There isn't a one for economics...
Although you do have to submit 2 essays.

just...WAIT TILL AUGUST TO *maybe* PANIC

Tests:
All candidates must take the History Aptitude Test (HAT) on 2 November 2011, as for History.

AND

Candidates shortlisted for interview will take the Economics test in December 2011. For information on how to register please see December tests.

---------------------------------------------

I think that's what I was on about. Not as 'official' as the HAT, but still. Though I;d have to get shortlisted first :redface:

Haha sounds like a plan!

Most of Exeter's offers for Econ are A*AA

Latest

Trending

Trending