The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
What topics do you think will come up?
Reply 1981
Original post by thecookiem0nster
"When a plant dies, an animal dies, or an animal expels waste, the initial form of nitrogen is organic. Bacteria, or in some cases, fungi, convert the organic nitrogen within the remains back into ammonium (NH4+), a process called ammonification or mineralization" - Wikipedia

The bacteria/fungi it is talking about are just decomposers

Thankyou :smile:
Original post by Bintang

Lots of Module 1, about half the paper could be based upon it given the past papers either had alot of Module 1 or alot of Module 2, if pattern follows which it should...as there was hardly any Module 1 in Jan11, but loads in Jun10...

Probably some kind of Gene Genetic Engineering from Module 2

Cloning? Perhaps Insulin, Golden Rice? Sequencing Genomes?

Succession, Conservation

Nervous system PNS - Automatic nervous system

Plant growth hormones, Apical dominance, Auxins
Original post by intellectual1
Lots of Module 1, about half the paper could be based upon it given the past papers either had alot of Module 1 or alot of Module 2, if pattern follows which it should...as there was hardly any Module 1 in Jan11, but loads in Jun10...

Probably some kind of Gene Genetic Engineering from Module 2

Cloning? Perhaps Insulin, Golden Rice? Sequencing Genomes?

Succession, Conservation

Nervous system PNS - Automatic nervous system

Plant growth hormones, Apical dominance, Auxins

If there is lots of module 1 that would be a great success as that is my strongest topic
If there was a lot of module 1 in june and a lot of module 2 in jan, won't there be a lot of module 3 in this one? :tongue:
Although you never know with ocr :s-smilie:
Original post by Bintang

Yo I had an awesome tutor for As level and she had an uncanny ability to predict whats gonna come up in science and maths exams, and as you know OCR love to give you a **** load of information to memorise then only ask you about 10% of the course in the test, or about seals, ****ing seals. Anyway so i gave her a ring last week and she said "gimme a few days to check it out". Anyway she gave me a list of these 12 sections. Keep in mind I could be wrong, but im banking on her being right as she usually is.

1. Lac Operon
2. Apoptosis
3. Chi squared test
4. Hardy Weinberg Equations
5. Differences and similaries between natural and artificial selection
6. Genetic Drift
7. Advantages disadvantages of plant cloning
8. Immobilisation of enzymes
9. Electrophoresis
10. PCR
11. The Brain, structure and so on
12. Dopamine and the DRD4 receptor.

hope that helps
Original post by heartskippedabeat
If there was a lot of module 1 in june and a lot of module 2 in jan, won't there be a lot of module 3 in this one? :tongue:
Although you never know with ocr :s-smilie:

Don't you mean module 4? Unless they're gonna throw in practical techniques, in which case, I'm screwed :yep:
Original post by thecookiem0nster
The process of DNA sequencing:
1. DNA is mechanically sheared into random fragments

2. Microsatellites are used to determine the order of the fragments (location of microsatellites is already known)

3. The fragments are cloned
Fragments are placed into bacterial artificial chromosome
Transferred to E.Coli by transformation
E.Coli are cultured to form a gene library

4. The clones are sequenced using the chain-termination method (Sanger sequencing method)
A very large amount of single stranded DNA is taken from the clone libraries and restriction endonucleases are used to form shorter strands from the long strand
DNA primers, DNA polymerase, normal nucleotides and modified nucleotides that terminate DNA strand elongation are all required for this process
The short DNA strands are divided into 4 separate sequencing reactions, containing all four of the standard nucleotides but only one type of the modified nucleotides
The modified nucleotides lack a 3’OH group, so they terminate formation of the sugar-phosphate backbone
DNA polymerase produces a stand that terminates when a modified nucleotide is added to the end of the chain
Over a period of time, the modified nucleotides form a termination at every point on the strand
The four reactions are separated into four different wells on a gel electrophoresis
Electrophoresis is used to separate the mixtures, producing 4 lanes of different termination nucleotides. The position of modified nucleotides is determined by exposing x-ray film to the electrophoresis gel

5. The chain-termination method is repeated using different restriction endonucleases and the overlapping regions are identified by a computer. The computer assembles the data to form the full genome of the organism

Cheers, that's great. Do we need to know about BACs aswell?
whats a punet squared ...?!
Original post by Kidms001
Don't you mean module 4? Unless they're gonna throw in practical techniques, in which case, I'm screwed :yep:

I'm actually not sure what I mean :colondollar:
Just that if half the marks in june were from module 1 and half the marks in jan were from module 2, you'd expect them to have half the marks on this paper from module 3, and then from module 4 on the next? I don't know :tongue:
But I have a feeling succession and galapagos will come up, which are both module 3 :redface:
Yeah, if anything about investigating populations or quadrats I'm going to kill myself!
Reply 1990
Original post by rebeccalouise_92
whats a punet squared ...?!

the cross diagram you do for finding the genotypes of the offspring :smile:
Reply 1991
What kind of things can they ask us on the galapagos..
Do we have to know all the different species and about Goats>Tortoises?!
I'm actually not sure what I mean :colondollar:
Just that if half the marks in june were from module 1 and half the marks in jan were from module 2, you'd expect them to have half the marks on this paper from module 3, and then from module 4 on the next? I don't know :tongue:
But I have a feeling succession and galapagos will come up, which are both module 3 :redface:
Yeah, if anything about investigating populations or quadrats I'm going to kill myself!

Ahh.. I follow you :facepalm:

This exam is sending me loopy! :rave: :wink:
Reply 1993
Ahh okay, hahah nice :tongue: I loved the f212 paper in jan, everyone kept saying it was really hard :s-smilie: i got a U in f214 in jan though :colondollar:

That's pretty good, especially 67 for a B! :smile:
I reallllly want a B overall, so I'd need 105 ums in this, and 65 in my module 4 resit :redface:
but i only need a C in biology to get into uni, so that's 75 ums in this module only :smile:

Ahhh awesome :smile: What course you applying for?

I think my F214 was a minor fluke aha, seeing as I got a U in chem :eek:.
Original post by HEC14

Original post by HEC14
the cross diagram you do for finding the genotypes of the offspring :smile:

ohhh noo, i hate them !!!! thanks and about galapagos, not sure but maybe the main threats , problems animals are causing , reasons for conservation!?! not sure haha :tongue:
Reply 1995
Original post by SR198198
Yo I had an awesome tutor for As level and she had an uncanny ability to predict whats gonna come up in science and maths exams, and as you know OCR love to give you a **** load of information to memorise then only ask you about 10% of the course in the test, or about seals, ****ing seals. Anyway so i gave her a ring last week and she said "gimme a few days to check it out". Anyway she gave me a list of these 12 sections. Keep in mind I could be wrong, but im banking on her being right as she usually is.

1. Lac Operon
2. Apoptosis
3. Chi squared test
4. Hardy Weinberg Equations
5. Differences and similaries between natural and artificial selection
6. Genetic Drift
7. Advantages disadvantages of plant cloning
8. Immobilisation of enzymes
9. Electrophoresis
10. PCR
11. The Brain, structure and so on
12. Dopamine and the DRD4 receptor.

hope that helps

really? whats the success rate in her predictions coming up in the past?? Lol
do we have to know about Genetic screening?
Reply 1997
What time are you guys going to sleep today?
Here are my predictions on what may come up, based on what has been covered in january and june

Define genetic code
Cyclic AMP and how it activates proteins
Apoptosis
Meiosis + Crossing over, possibly a question combined with genetic linkage
Some genetic definitions
How variation arises from meiosis and fertilisation
An epistatic punnett square question, maybe combined with chi-squared or Hardy-weinberg
Continuous/Discontinuous variation
Natural selection and isolation mechanisms, maybe with genetic drift
Define biological/phylogenetic species concepts
Bread wheat and artificial selection or golden rice
Describe how tissue culture is carried out, along with advantages/disadvantages of cloning
Why are microorganisms used in biotechnological processes
How to immobilise enzymes
Outline how genetic sequencing of an organism is carried out
Define recombinant DNA
How DNA probes can be used in genetic screening
Something to do with plasmids/vectors and how bacteria can take up DNA
Xenotransplantation
Define Gene therapy
Ethics of Genetic manipulation
Succession and climax communities. possible example question
Predator-prey relationship
Galagapos Islands
The nervous system and brain stucture/function possible table comparison question?
The sliding filament model and how ATP supply to muscles is maintained
Definitions of Escape reflexes/Taxes/Kineses
Leaf Abscission
Advantages of innate/learned behaviour, possible long comparison question?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by susan23
What time are you guys going to sleep today?

Probably quit revision for the F1 tonight, go to sleep at 11-30, get up at 8-30, panic revision, head to the exam about 12-30 :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending