The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
Original post by SharkTooth194
i guess, yeah. I'm hoping for the whole "how does meiosis lead to variation within a population" kind of question.

How would you go about answering that? Sorry, are you able to give like a rough plan or something, I havent got a clue! (: Thanks (:
Original post by rebmu
basically you just need to know how its done
first you get the source of the genetic information so mRNA which codes for the insulin protein, you then use reverse transciptase to convert this into cdna, primers can then be added to the cdna which are complementary to the sticky ends of the plasmid
plasmids are useful as bacteria actively take these up.
you cut the plasmid open using restriction enzymes , these cut the plasmid at a specific site, this is why you know which primers to add, the cdna can then bind to the plasmid, the plasmid is sealed using DNA ligase, this is your recombinant dna.
however we aren't quite done yet
you need to know which cells have taken up plasmids and which of those have a recombinant plasmid with the gene we want
so you use replica plating, basically you know the plamid i was talking about earlier you choose this carefully so it has genes for antibiotic resitance in it , which original bacteria do not, usually ampicillin and tetracycline, you then use a restriction enzyme which cuts through one of these antibiotic resistance genes, usually tetracyline, therefore if you grow colonies of the bacteria on agar, those that have taken up the plasmid will grow on ampicillin those that haven't are killed, so basically you then see which grow on tetracycline , those that grow on ampicillin but not on tetracycline are the ones you want so you takes these bacteria and let them reproduce to levels significant enough to produce industrial amounts of insulin and that's about it
think the book probably explains it clearer than me though so have a look in the cgp revision guide

ahhh thankyou soo much
you know the ampicillin and tetracycline bit.. do we really need to know all that detail? coz in the exam wouldnt they ask about another type of thing?
oh and btw, you know you said the ones you want are those that grow on ampicillin but not on tetracycline.. why is that?
Original post by twelve
I thought the definitions of the biological species concept and the phylogenetic species concept were the other way around?

Biological species concept - organisms who are similiar in appearance, physiology, anatomy, biochemistry and genetics, and who are able to interbreed to produce fertile offspring. They also remain reproductively isolated from other species.
Phylogenetic species concept - organisms who are geopraphically separated and morphologically and behaviourally distinct from other species, even if their breeding capabilities are unknown.

The ocr book says the other way around :s-smilie:
Original post by meerar20
How would you go about answering that? Sorry, are you able to give like a rough plan or something, I havent got a clue! (: Thanks (:

Crossing over in prophase 1 would give different allele combinations e.g could have a bit of chrosome 2 swapped with another bit of chromosome 2.

Random assortment of bivalents/chrosomosomes during metaphase 1

Random assortment of chromatids during metaphase 1

Fertilization is random too.

Even interphase, DNA replication - can go wrong and produce variation > but it's a bit too much i think
Reply 2024
Original post by thecookiem0nster
Yepp

What's bacterial conjugation?

Also does anyone know what reverse transcriptase is used for?
Original post by Waqar Y
The ocr book says the other way around :s-smilie:

Now im confused, which one do i go with lol
Reply 2026
is this correct?
hydrolysis of ATP = breaks crossbridge?
Original post by miss-pink09
ahhh thankyou soo much
you know the ampicillin and tetracycline bit.. do we really need to know all that detail? coz in the exam wouldnt they ask about another type of thing?
oh and btw, you know you said the ones you want are those that grow on ampicillin but not on tetracycline.. why is that?

Unsure whether they could ask it or not, but the bacteria grow on ampycillin because they have the gene for resistance, tetralycine resistance has been broken because the restriction enzyme has it's target site on the tetralycine resistance gene :smile:
Original post by miss-pink09
ahhh thankyou soo much

the insulin gene in the plasmid breaks the tetracycline resistance, so this means that the bacteria that takes up this plasmid will not grow on tetracycline as it is not resistant to it! so it will only grow on ampicillin, therefore we only want this bacteria :smile:
Original post by DrDr
Could I have some sympatric speciation examples and biotic and abiotic environmental pressures please?

Thanks in advance :smile:

For sympatric speciation, you need distruptive selection to occur. I saw a legacy exam question where they had seahorses who were either big or small. They were undergoing distruptive selection and had formed seperate species in the same area. If a big seahorse and small seahorse had medium sized offspring, the medium sized offspring had a selective disadvantage. So the population eventually seperated so much into big and small that there was very little exchange of alleles. Therefore speciation had occured as they were no longer able to produce fertile offspring

biotic environmental pressures:
Competition - Interspecific and intraspecific
Availability of prey to eat
Diseases or infecting bacteria
Parasites

abiotic pressures:
Temperature
Water availability
Nitrates in the soil
Wind
Light
Original post by Kidms001

Original post by thecookiem0nster

Original post by rebeccalouise_92

Thanks guys :smile: that makes so much more sense, the book explains it so badly I had the totally wrong image in my head of what was going on lol. This video I found is pretty decent showing it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlchs4omFDM&feature=related
Original post by jak67m
give me the list pleaseee!!

1. Lac Operon
2. Apoptosis
3. Chi squared test
4. Hardy Weinberg Equations
5. Differences and similaries between natural and artificial selection
6. Genetic Drift
7. Advantages disadvantages of plant cloning
8. Immobilisation of enzymes
9. Electrophoresis
10. PCR
11. The Brain, structure and so on
12. Dopamine and the DRD4 receptor.

May be wrong tho man, but yeah hope that helps.
Original post by M_I

I don't think you'll need to know bacterial conjugation but reverse transcriptase is used to produce a DNA strand in the host cell. It basically takes RNA and changes it to DNA.
Original post by 786girl
is this correct?

I would say splitting of ATP using water to form ADP and Pi where Pi is the phosphate , not sure what the corss bridge is
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 786girl

Original post by 786girl
is this correct?

yes because it releases energy, this gives them enough energy to break off
Reply 2035
Nerves are starting to kick in.
Reply 2036
Original post by 786girl
is this correct?

yes it's condensation of ATP.

Condensation of ATP causes myosin head to move forward.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Waqar Y
Crossing over in prophase 1 would give different allele combinations e.g could have a bit of chrosome 2 swapped with another bit of chromosome 2.

Random assortment of bivalents/chrosomosomes during metaphase 1

Random assortment of chromatids during metaphase 2

Fertilization is random too.

Even interphase, DNA replication - can go wrong and produce variation > but it's a bit too much i think

Just encase anyone is revising from this see the corrected bold bit!

For other questions...I'm probably in bed by 10pm today, Mechanics 2 maths and biology tomorrow, then geography the next day! Ah well, after C4 I'm on holiday the day after so I'll just look forward to that.
Original post by M_I

Reverse transcriptase is used to produce DNA from mRNA. So, it does the opposite of transcription. Its used in genetic engineering, when an mRNA strand for a gene has been isolate (e.g. insulin) then, it is possible to produce the corresponding DNA for insertion into a plasmid

Bacterial conjugation is the transfer of genetic material between bacterial cells by direct cell-to-cell contact or by a bridge-like connection between two cells. it allows them to exchange genes for resistance. ect.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Crazydavy
Just encase anyone is revising from this see the corrected bold bit!

For other questions...I'm probably in bed by 10pm today, Mechanics 2 maths and biology tomorrow, then geography the next day! Ah well, after C4 I'm on holiday the day after so I'll just look forward to that.

Yeahh, sorry about that loll - it's a really easy mistake to make ;\ my plan = to get to bed by 10.30.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending