The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Signed Solution
I see why I ended up with p=0.93 and q=0.07... I rounded it before I squared rooted it.

Today is a depressing day indeed.

Don't worry I managed to get 0.62 and 0.48 lol
Reply 3201
I'm not one to complain, but how can I formally complain?

Erggh!

Why OCR, why?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by F.I
I'm not one to complain, but how can I formally complain?

[email protected]

please do!
Original post by Jhyzone

?) Work out p and q (hardy weinberg) (2)

p = 7.01 somthing
q= 17. something

There were some others as well but that's horribly wrong (no offense! :smile: ) but how can 7.01 and 17 add together to equal 1?

I think I got 0.83 and 0.17
Reply 3204
Original post by potentialmedicalstudent

I don't want them to know my name though :ninja:

I dont want them to see my exam paper and be like 'she complained, ZERO' :colondollar:
Reply 3205
hang on people, i dont want to get on anyones nerves (haha) but if majority of students found in hard, then the grade boundaries will just be extremely low yeh past papers been around 60ish. Having sat this exam reckon it will prob be 3/4 marks lower for A grade boundary.

But could some clear this up for me, how does changing the grade boundaries affect UMS awarded for that module because ive heard 480/600 never ever changes, so how does it work out exactly?
Reply 3206
Original post by NickiMinaj
Saamee :frown: Bye-Bye medicine :frown:
I did not get an A in this paper, so ridiculous, the WHOLE thing was on module 3, and I HATE MODULE THREE.
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh x

Not a good start to two weeks of exams. Gotta try to get AAA in my other three subjects and see if UCL will negociate :frown:

Original post by DW.TSR
What did everyone put for the tissue culture question? I was personally struggling for all the (6 or 7?) points. :s-smilie:

I dexcribe the extraction and growing of the callus, then put into solution with shoot growth plant hormones then put into a rooting power thing which likely contains auxins. Then I just tried to drop as many key words as I could, like explant. Then I thought I am not gonna get any more marks from this question lets move on
Original post by Jayson
I know that, but previous year do you know whether that would have been 35/100 ? i have no clue how ums system works ;[

You will always need the same amount of UMS overall for an A/B/C but the amount of UMS you get for a certain amount of correct answers changes from paper to paper.

It changes depending on how easy/hard the paper was ... If you have a look on the OCR website it tells you what UMS are given I think ...
Reply 3208
For the xylem vessels being plugged i remembered that plant hormones use mass flow to travel in xylem vessels and said that because it's blocked, cytokinins cant travel to leaves and so senscence begins.
Reply 3209
so theres no need to worry too much is what I mean
Original post by Sereni
my working (extracted from calculator)

296 + 50= 346

296/346=0.855

(0.855)*0.5=0.9249

1-0.9249= 0.075

Final answers- p=0.08, q=0.92
I think I was inconsistent with decimal places but I just carried through with my calculator value so should be no rounding errors
final answer had to be to two decimal places

I thought it was 50 out of 296! :facepalm2:
Original post by heartskippedabeat
It would have :tongue: I know, I hate xylem :frown: I just can't believe there was no muscles or sand dune succession or anything about gene technologies/biotechnology :angry:

I know I just wanted to mention restriction enzymes I've learnt so much to do with it and only a crappy 2 mark question on the brain and meiosis I learnt so much about that too. To quote my teacher when she saw the paper "they f'ed you guys up" I think that's why my college has changed examining boards for biology, last year's exam was crap too. I needed 70 to get my B grade lost 20 from the first two pages ecology crap so very unlikely I'll be seeing uni. Clearing it is. :frown:(((:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

ok im a bit calm now
Original post by ManPowa

Original post by ManPowa
Ive got the Link on me for the paper. Pm me if you want it. Its the whole scanned paper.
I dont want to put it on here, cos the exam just happend today and it aint right. :/

I PM'd you. If you send me the paper I will literally lick your feet.
It was only 60/100 for an A in the January exam and this exam was worse just so people know :tongue:
Reply 3214
Original post by BeekieBoo
You will always need the same amount of UMS overall for an A/B/C but the amount of UMS you get for a certain amount of correct answers changes from paper to paper.

It changes depending on how easy/hard the paper was ... If you have a look on the OCR website it tells you what UMS are given I think ...

thanks will rep u.
found this http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_56047_admin_unit_level_raw_mark.pdf
shows;

UMS: 75= 42 raw. (estimate)
Reply 3215
Original post by BradfordCityJoss

Original post by BradfordCityJoss
There were some others as well but that's horribly wrong (no offense! :smile: ) but how can 7.01 and 17 add together to equal 1?

I think I got 0.83 and 0.17

I got 0.83 and 0.17, but thinking about it now, i got 0.17 by finding the square root of 293 (or whatever the size of the red type was) didnt we need to find out the percentage of red out of the WHOLE population, e.g. 50 + 293 = 343, 293/343 = q squared? Not sure, lets keep our fingers crossed!
Original post by Soloman
hang on people, i dont want to get on anyones nerves (haha) but if majority of students found in hard, then the grade boundaries will just be extremely low yeh past papers been around 60ish. Having sat this exam reckon it will prob be 3/4 marks lower for A grade boundary.

But could some clear this up for me, how does changing the grade boundaries affect UMS awarded for that module because ive heard 480/600 never ever changes, so how does it work out exactly?

yeh the 480 doesnt change... but this paper out of 150 UMS, its 120 UMS for an A... if the boundaries are lower this year, it means you need fewer marks to get the 120UMS (or whatever you need). In january it was 66 marks/100 to get the 120UMS... theres hope yet for us all :smile:
Anyone managed to get a copy of the paper?
Original post by Sereni
You didnt have to know much about biology at all to answer the question, as long as you understood that 1 was 100% of the population and what p, q p^2 and q^2 are (which you can actually extract from the question) it was an easy 3 marks. I dunno, I thought it went horribly and though bye bye medicine, but if the grade boundary is down at 60 (like it has been for the past two years) then I think I still have a chance

same!! grade boundary must drop!!
Original post by DontPropositionMe
**** you OCR **** YOU SCIENCE

dont think you could have called half of it it science tbh...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending