The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by arvin_infinity
-ve

what time is the exam on!? 1:30 wednesday!?

thanx
erm mine starts at 1.30
Reply 961
what COLOURS do we need to know? Can someone give me a list so i can just learn it. isit the precipitation ones ?
Reply 962
Original post by 786girl
what COLOURS do we need to know? Can someone give me a list so i can just learn it. isit the precipitation ones ?

Precipitation Reactions involving Transition Metals:-

Copper(II) Ions + NaOH(aq) : Pale blue solution. - - > Pale blue precipitate.

Cobalt(II) Ions + NaOH(aq) : Pink solution. - - > Blue precipitate.

Iron(II) Ions + NaOH(aq) : Pale green solution. - - > Green precipitate.

Iron(III) Ions + NaOH(aq) : Pale yellow solution. - - > Rusty-brown precipitate.

Ligand Substitution:-

Copper(II) Ions with ammonia: Pale blue solution. - - > Deep blue solution.

Copper(II) Ions with conc HCl : Pale blue solution. - - > Yellow solution.

Cobalt(II) Ions with conc HCl : Pink solution. - - > Blue solution.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Is the gradient on a rate concentration graph of first order reaction equal to k (rate constant)?
Original post by 786girl

print off spec from ocr website, tells you exactly which colours to learn.
Reply 965
I am doing 24hrs revision to make a Grade difference
Guys I have a feeling they could ask us to draw a hydrogen fuel cell, how do you do that :colondollar: I know one half cell will be H2 gas and H+ ions right with pt electrode right? What about the other?
Reply 967
Original post by 786girl

You may have found out already, but I found this on the specification:
"describe, including ionic equations, the simple precipitation reactions and the accompanying colour changes of Cu2+(aq), Co2+(aq), Fe2+(aq) and Fe3+(aq) with aqueous sodium hydroxide"

So I think these are the colours:

Solution --> Precipitate
Cu2+ Light blue --> Dark blue
Co2+ Pink --> Blue
Fe2+ Pale green --> Dark Green
Fe3+ Yellow --> Orange / Brown
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 968
Original post by Killmepls
Guys I have a feeling they could ask us to draw a hydrogen fuel cell, how do you do that :colondollar: I know one half cell will be H2 gas and H+ ions right with pt electrode right? What about the other?

Its just one, when they ask you to Draw a standard lets say copper half cell, that when you draw it with Hydrogen and copper, get it?
what is the equation for calculating H+ from a buffer system?
what is the general ionic equation for neutralisation?
what does a more negative electrode potential show?
outline how you would carry out a redox titration using MnO4-?
Reply 970
hey guys
came across neutralization and saw the page in the book
what if the number of moles of the acid and alkali are not the same? if that happens, which one of the two moles do you take?
and also, what if say 3 moles of water are being formed , what do you do then?
+ rep
Reply 971
[H+] = Ka x [HA]/[A-]
Neutralisation : H+(aq) + OH-(aq)-> H2O(l)
A more negative electrode potential shows that that system is more likely to donate electrons compared to a more positivise one.
Reply 972
Original post by Flux_Pav
hey guys
what if the number of moles of the acid and alkali are not the same? if that happens, which one of the two moles do you take?
+ rep

You add all the moles together, to give you a mass or something like that cant remember what my teacher said

Ignore this I am wrong I think
Original post by Pandit Bandit
how would you go about doing this question guys?

the 250 cm3 always throws me off!

What is the actual answer pleasee? (think i've got it wrong :/)
Original post by hellosarah
What is the actual answer pleasee? (think i've got it wrong :/)

0.161 moldm-3 hmm i thought it woulde be 1.61
Original post by darkiee
Its just one, when they ask you to Draw a standard lets say copper half cell, that when you draw it with Hydrogen and copper, get it?

Nooo that's not what I mean, that's comparing a copper half cell to a standard hydrogen half cell.

A hydrogen fuel cell has hydrogen and oxygen reacting. Look at page 191 in text book, it has a simple diagram but I'm wondering could you draw that using two half cells? :\ You never know with OCR lol..
Reply 976
Original post by Killmepls
Nooo that's not what I mean, that's comparing a copper half cell to a standard hydrogen half cell.

A hydrogen fuel cell has hydrogen and oxygen reacting. Look at page 191 in text book, it has a simple diagram but I'm wondering could you draw that using two half cells? :\ You never know with OCR lol..

Oh sorry I didnt read ur question properly, HYDROGEN FUEL CELL, i i thought u meant hydrogen half cell my fault.
Original post by Flux_Pav
hey guys
+ rep

Hey Flux,
you if the moles are unbalanced you need to calculate how much it is in excess by:

say: .5 moles of HCl and 0.25 moles of of NaOH, you know that to form one mole of water from the stoichiometry of the equation your HCl is in excess by 0.25 (as it is 1:1 ratio) therefore when you're dividing your heat change by your moles, it will be 0.25 as oppose to 0.5 :smile:
Original post by Pandit Bandit
0.161 moldm-3 hmm i thought it woulde be 1.61

aaah whaaaaaaaaat?? I got 1.61 too??

:confused:
Reply 979
Original post by haydyb123
Hey Flux,
you if the moles are unbalanced you need to calculate how much it is in excess by:

say: .5 moles of HCl and 0.25 moles of of NaOH, you know that to form one mole of water from the stoichiometry of the equation your HCl is in excess by 0.25 (as it is 1:1 ratio) therefore when you're dividing your heat change by your moles, it will be 0.25 as oppose to 0.5 :smile:

oh thanks!
so you basically divide by how much there is in excess?
so say if u have a ratio thats 2:1 - acid:alkali would u multiply the excess amout by 2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending