The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2640
Original post by CoventryCity
What do people think 75-80 raw marks will score as UMS, just a prediction please as obviously nobody knows exactly?

Very high.
In Jan it was 65/100 for 80% UMS. I can't remember what it was for 90% and 100%.

So you are looking at 90%+ UMS. Congrats. :smile:
Original post by CoventryCity
What do people think 75-80 raw marks will score as UMS, just a prediction please as obviously nobody knows exactly?

There is no doubt in my mind that will be an A.
Original post by Fallen
Very high.
In Jan it was 65/100 for 80% UMS. I can't remember what it was for 90% and 100%.

So you are looking at 90%+ UMS. Congrats. :smile:
Thanks

I need 131 UMS to get an A*, I feel it is going to be border line whether I get an A or A*
Reply 2643
Original post by Vinchenko
Hmm. They did specify 'showing the whole ligand', but I guess you did do that...hope for a lenient marker!

I know I got that one wrong as I drew out two complex ions joined by one bidentate ligand, wheras it should have been a continuous structure. The other question i completely blagged was KOH I said: 2KOH-> 2K+ + 02 + 2H+, and 2KOH-> 2K+ + H2 + 2O, or some equally ****e answer, I tried to think about what reaction it might be similar to but i was short on time so just guessed on the offchance that i might get a mark
Reply 2644
For the monomer and isomer question, do you think its alright if you didnt show the actual ligand and just a line instead (the way the example showed the 'simple' version).
Reply 2645
Original post by Sereni
Just because they are a charity doesnt mean that distributing their material that they havnt yet published is legal. Im not overly sure of the specifics but I know someone who marks the papers and he says that they arent supposed to be distributed early because OCR charges money for them.

And ofc theft is required, how else do you think the bio paper was obtained, the original poster said he took it when the invigilators werent looking...

Really? I know at least one school where teachers are given the paper on the day of exam. They then photocopy it and give it out to students. Unfortunately I do not study there. I was not aware that this is illegal. And OCR does not charge for past papers. They charge for exams and the marking of thereof, not pieces of paper they allow people to obtain freely on the website. The only uploaded after the release of the grades because the exam boards are too busy with other things and want to avoid speculations about grade boundaries by students, complaints etc and unofficial mark schemes. I agree with you that the paper was fairer than that of OCR Biology F215. It covered all areas of the specification well. However I think it was too time pressured and a little too wordy... In short Jan 2011 and June 2010 were better. And somehow I doubt that will reflect in the grade boundaries, though these are only my thoughts.
Original post by spark343
For the monomer and isomer question, do you think its alright if you didnt show the actual ligand and just a line instead (the way the example showed the 'simple' version).

Yeah i think the paper made reference to the example as acceptable. That's what I did.
Reply 2647
For the Nickel/cadmium battery one,
the first eqaution question i wrote was the bottom reaction involving nickel going forward and the top one going backwards becasue its standard electrode potentail value was lower. This was the 2 mark one.

For the one marker i just showed the 2 equations given but the other way round ie- the top equation gained electrons even with a smaller standard electrode potential and the bottom one lost electrons with the higher standard electrode potentail value?

iS this correct?
Reply 2648
Original post by laurencebaker1
Yeah i think the paper made reference to the example as acceptable. That's what I did.

Phew, that makes me feel alittle better anyway!
@ Sam Winsdor : "
Copy and paste this and send to [email protected] and [email protected] if you like - or write your own etc.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to you to express my concern for the F325 GCE Chemistry paper I sat on 15th June 2011. I feel the paper was unfair and unrepresentative of the specification set by OCR. Only a few relevant topics came up, and others were generalised to ridiculous, unrelated things e.g. 'Magic Tang'. The paper had a ridiculous amount of text in it working; on the basis of a mark a minute a 100 mark paper should have a time limit of 100 minutes (1 hour 40 minutes) just for writing the answer which leaves 5 minutes for reading. The amount of text and the length of questions were way over estimated. As a student who has studied hard for a year and sat the paper I believe it was very unfair. I hope the grade boundaries and the revised mark scheme truly represent the difficulty of the paper.

Yours sincerely,

NAME "
Reply 2650
Original post by cawse879

For the one marker i just showed the 2 equations given but the other way round ie- the top equation gained electrons even with a smaller standard electrode potential and the bottom one lost electrons with the higher standard electrode potentail value?

iS this correct?

That's what I did, I can't imagen what else it could mean apart from that.
Reply 2651
Original post by Dim0nIX
Really? I know at least one school where teachers are given the paper on the day of exam. They then photocopy it and give it out to students. Unfortunately I do not study there. I was not aware that this is illegal. And OCR does not charge for past papers. They charge for exams and the marking of thereof, not pieces of paper they allow people to obtain freely on the website. The only uploaded after the release of the grades because the exam boards are too busy with other things and want to avoid speculations about grade boundaries by students, complaints etc and unofficial mark schemes. I agree with you that the paper was fairer than that of OCR Biology F215. It covered all areas of the specification well. However I think it was too time pressured and a little too wordy... In short Jan 2011 and June 2010 were better. And somehow I doubt that will reflect in the grade boundaries, though these are only my thoughts.

Ah ok, I didnt really know I was just assuming it wasnt legal coz it seemed really sahdy. In that case SOMEONE UPLOAD THE GODDAMN PAPER
Reply 2652
Original post by spark343
Phew, that makes me feel alittle better anyway!

It said you could use the simplified form given in fig blah, meaning the diagram with just a smiley face ligand
Reply 2653
Original post by arvin_infinity
@ Sam Winsdor : "
Copy and paste this and send to [email protected] and [email protected] if you like - or write your own etc.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to you to express my concern for the F325 GCE Chemistry paper I sat on 15th June 2011. I feel the paper was unfair and unrepresentative of the specification set by OCR. Only a few relevant topics came up, and others were generalised to ridiculous, unrelated things e.g. 'Magic Tang'. The paper had a ridiculous amount of text in it working; on the basis of a mark a minute a 100 mark paper should have a time limit of 100 minutes (1 hour 40 minutes) just for writing the answer which leaves 5 minutes for reading. The amount of text and the length of questions were way over estimated. As a student who has studied hard for a year and sat the paper I believe it was very unfair. I hope the grade boundaries and the revised mark scheme truly represent the difficulty of the paper.

Yours sincerely,

NAME "

You do realise that the main bulk of your argument will have no affect. OCR states that the exam is more focused on your understanding and your knowledge of chemistry rather than just recalling information. The only part of your argument that you can legitimately argue upon is the time limit, an extra 15 mins and the paper would have been a lot less rushed.
Reply 2654
Okey so questions I remember:

1)Define Lattice Enthalpy (2)
2) Dagram with hydration - Born Haber Cycle (2)
?) The enthalpy of hydration calculation (3 marks ?)
?) Why Mg2+ hydration more exothermic? (2)
?) Explain what is meant by strength of the acid? (2)
?) Arrange acids from strongest - weakest (1)
?) Conjugate base - acid pairs (2)
?) Draw structure of C2H2O4
?) Two ways it can dissociate (2)
?) 9 marker on "Magic Tang"
?) Electrode potentials of rechargeable cells - overall equation (2)
?) Formation of O2 and H2 half equations (2)
?) Charging equation (1)
?) Sodium thiosulfate titration of Cu2+ (11?)
?) Transition Metals question with Ni2+ (7)
?) Ligand substitution euqation (1)
?) Name A B and C - (3)
?) Ph of Acid 5 marks given its pKa (got like 2.11 if tht helps)
?) The ambiguous Rates of Reaction with a "not-so-constant" half life lol (9)
Please add to the list if anything comes to mind
(edited 12 years ago)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2656
Dear Sir/Madam

I have recently sat the F325 Chemistry A2 exam on the 15th of June 2011. I would like to raise a few concerns on how I personally found the paper.

Having worked so hard for the course of the year and dedicating the majority of my time to my A2 exams, I am thoroughly disappointed at the Chemistry A2 paper that you set us today for the following reasons:

1) Exam had unclear/ ambiguous questions and instructions.

2) Exam required knowledge and skills that students did not have sufficient opportunity to practice.

3) Exam was far too long to complete in 105 minutes.

4) Exam drew on knowledge outside of prerequisites.

I request that you look into this matter. I cannot speak for all students but I find this incredibly upsetting as well as annoying, having put an enormous amount of effort revising and practising and to realise this was not enough; I find extremely unfair.

I hope you understand that A2 exams are a serious matter to any year 13 students, and that as students we have to potentially fulfil and meet the demands of University. As a student who generally achieves top marks, I feel deceived and cheated on after sitting this paper and it was certainly not a valid representation of how much I have learnt through the course of the year.

I hope you take whatever I have mentioned into consideration whilst marking this exam, as well as preparation for future exams, for the future generation.

Yours faithfully,

Send to:
[email protected]
http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/
Email: [email protected].u k / [email protected]
Tel: 01223 553998
Fax: 01223 552627
Reply 2657
6.67x10^-3 or -5 cnt remember which - anyone get that for rate constant?
got Kc wrong - got 60moldm-3
missed out entropy
got 0.49:1 for salt to acid ratio
pH 2.11
lactic acid used as pKa is close to pH
got -1900 something in the -1900s for hyd of mg
16.8% for last one - yes i know it is wrong but do i still get ecf marks? - only thing i got wrong was the ratio of s203 to Cu
for the Ni essay - i defined every term, wrote electron configs of Ni atom and a Ni2+ ion and also drew the d-subshell things in which electrons spin opposite directions
lost the marks for 4,4 repeat polymer
i think the marks lost here were all the marks i lost throughout the whole paper tbh
i just realised i didn't **** up so bad at all
Reply 2658
Original post by arvin_infinity

To whom it may concern,

Yours sincerely,

NAME "

Here are some quotes from the chief examiner's report from January 2011 and June 2010:

The greater emphasis on application to unknown situations means that rote recall of the course content is unlikely on its own to guarantee a good result. The assessment model also provides the opportunity for more demanding stretch & challenge questions that will help inform the new A* grade, assessed in the A2 units only. In order to deliver this range of grades with the application emphasis, the A2 examinations are significantly tougher than the AS examinations.

For the new A2 examinations, this places a much greater emphasis on application of knowledge and understanding than in the past and novel questions that require application of knowledge and understanding will be a feature of this examination. The real challenge for both teachers and their students lies in their preparation for this style of examination. The best candidates usually rise to the challenge but weaker candidates can struggle. It is particularly important that weak candidates answer what they can in the questions, even if they are unable to see the way forwards to a final solution.

Future papers will be set in a similar style with a mixture of questions assessing stock chemistry from the main course and questions that assess whether candidates are able to apply their knowledge and understanding. In preparing their students for future papers, teachers are advised to use more application-based problems rather than solely questions based on the specification content.

A final general comment relates to candidate performance on the new A2 papers. Overall, candidates have responded to the challenge admirably. Having been exposed to some very demanding questions, the very best candidates have responded extremely well and have been able to demonstrate some very high quality responses. All candidates have been able to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding about chemistry at this level. The outcomes from this series represent a real achievement for successful candidates.
Reply 2659
Original post by BA1
Here are some quotes from the chief examiner's report from January 2011 and June 2010:

that chief examiner's a douche.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending