The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lantana
You'd be a great politician. So just to clarify, you (generally) think it's morally acceptable but wouldn't do it because it's illegal - or have I got that wrong?

I think it's the proportion of friends to get right- I see people going to either extreme which doesn't tend to be healthy.

Personally, I won't date non-xians. I don't see the point in me dating a person that I wouldn't (potentially) marry and I want my husband to be xian. I don't want to not be able to share such a huge part of who I am and my identity and my life with someone so important. Yes, I do realise I will end up as an old cat lady.

I don't think you're the only one. Why did you feel this need?

I'm afraid it's just part of xian life. I think I'm desensitised to most of it, but I can imagine it's not very nice.

Whilst I think that's amazing, I've sadly seen it go the other way. Maybe I'm just really pessimistic :getmecoat:

How many people did Jesus heal? He didn't condemn them for searching out healing. I think you also forgot about the fall. God made everything perfect and then it got twisted and broken. Yes, he may still make good things come out of the bad, but that doesn't mean that he wanted the bad things to happen. Finally, if you have concerns - talk to your doctors. They may not understand the theological implications, but it might help.

I know, it's starting to bug me less, it's just not nice
Original post by Kebabbi

Original post by Kebabbi
Sorry this is so long; I just read it back and it seems really self-pitying, sorry! I'm really not wanting sympathy, just advice. Basically, is opting for surgery messing with God's work?

I think you should go for the ear surgery. I don't think you'd be slapping God across the face or anything, we have doctors for a reason, after all...

I think disregarding medical help because it could be messing with God's work is very dangerous territory, like certain parents who stop giving their diabetic children insulin so God will heal them. If God chooses (maybe not chooses, that sounds a bit capricious lol), well if healing does occur then it will be obvious.

Possibly related: I had spinal fusion when I was 5. :ahee: Which brings me to your question, Lantana :tongue:

Original post by Lantana
I don't think you're the only one. Why did you feel this need?

I was very, very self-conscious last year (first year :rolleyes:). In fact, there was a time when I wouldn't leave my room :tongue:

And because I stayed in my room, and generally avoided people, I don't think many (if any) people here (in university) know much about me, including the fact that I am a Christian. I don't think the fact that I never go to CU, or church :colondollar: help though. :colondollar:

Original post by LoveLoveLove16
Lolll you could tell by my Asante surname right? I don't know, I mean there are quite a lot of Atheists in my school but even so they don't have a right to be like that

:giggle: Yes.

Kids today :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
If God chooses to heal, He may do it miraculously, or He may choose to use a doctor/medicine.

Also, James 5:14. Apparently oil was believed to have medicinal value in the ancient world, so what James may be saying here is "pray and go to a doctor".
Reply 4583
Original post by Lantana

How many people did Jesus heal? He didn't condemn them for searching out healing. I think you also forgot about the fall. God made everything perfect and then it got twisted and broken. Yes, he may still make good things come out of the bad, but that doesn't mean that he wanted the bad things to happen. Finally, if you have concerns - talk to your doctors. They may not understand the theological implications, but it might help.

Thank you so much for this, genuinely hadn't thought of any of that :smile:

Original post by + polarity -
I think you should go for the ear surgery. I don't think you'd be slapping God across the face or anything, we have doctors for a reason, after all...

I think disregarding medical help because it could be messing with God's work is very dangerous territory, like certain parents who stop giving their diabetic children insulin so God will heal them. If God chooses (maybe not chooses, that sounds a bit capricious lol), well if healing does occur then it will be obvious.

Possibly related: I had spinal fusion when I was 5. :ahee: Which brings me to your question, Lantana :tongue:

I know, and I wouldn't be even considering this if I was in a more seriously dangerous situation, like life-threatening, but this seems like a superficial thing... but Lantana is right, I think I was just looking for reasons to chicken out! Sometimes I guess it just takes another perspective on things. So thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Facticity
Errm I'd like to know what people here think of non-Christian friendships and non-Christian relationships and perhaps any passages from the Bible.

I have some very close friends who are non-Christian but its never really been an issue and they've always respected my faith to the point of coming to church with me and listening to me ramble for ages about all kinds of Christianity related things. I've known them for ages and I have never had any issues with them - however obviously as we get older the obvious differences in our world views and lifestyles show - its much more noticeable. I was just wondering what people think about non-Christian friends and our relationships with them. I have been told they should be restricted by some, which I didn't really like but at the same time I can see the influence that they could have and the difference between us. I am unsure as to this matter - I don't want to limit my friendships however it is harder to meld as we act and think differently especially at our ages. Just to clarify, this isn't me having any arguments with them, just my general observations and thoughts.

And the other questions was in regards to having non-Christian partners. This isn't too particular, rather I am just generally wondering. Thanks.

Said a prayer for you :smile:

My best friends range from an Anglican priest to militant atheists. I find the ones who help me to grow the most are the Christian ones, since they understand and have been most supportive of my journey (my faith is part of my illness). That said, I am extremely fond of the militant atheist ones and don't mind them questioning or ridiculing within reason. Just the other day I watched 'Life of Brian' with a militant atheist friend! :biggrin: I don't mind what denomination my friends are or if they're anti-Catholic, as long as they respect my right to have a different belief and aren't too offensive. I had a huge falling out with my 'Life of Brian' friend and we didn't speak for about six months because it got to the point where she was so rude and hurtful that I felt I couldn't have her at my (far-off) wedding or funeral because she can't seem to behave herself in church settings. We eventually made up and she tries not to be so offensive and I try to be less sensitive :smile:

On the partners front, I agree that you can't help who you fall for. I'd ideally like to marry a Catholic or Anglican because they're more likely to understand me and my illness. If I was with a non-Christian partner, it would have to be someone who could understand all that and be respectful. Also someone who wouldn't mind a house full of saints statues and holy water :biggrin:

Original post by LoveLoveLove16
There were pages ripped out of the bible and left outside of my house, just scattered.

That sounds horrible :jumphug:

Original post by Kebabbi
Hi, I know this is going to sound a bit crazy - I haven't been able to tell anyone else - but I was wondering if anyone on here could help me...

I don't want to be too specific but basically I have a lot of medical issues and, aside from a lot of other stuff, have had four operations, two of which I would consider 'major.' All four were surgeries I *had* to have for various reasons, although the most major was a choice (it was scoliosis surgery - my doctor said I could leave it but that I'd be wheelchair bound within a couple of years and my lungs might collapse, so I went for it.) All four went wrong for various reasons, the most major complications being from the scoliosis op (I won't go into it but I will be living with huge pain for the rest of my life.) In the three years since that surgery, I've often wished I hadn't had it; sometimes I feel like I betrayed God, thinking that man could 'rebuild' my spine better than He built it in the first place, and that this is why so many things have now gone wrong.

I am also deaf - I can hear okay with hearing aids (i.e. I can function) but my hearing is getting worse, I can no longer hear music properly and most sounds are nothing like the 'real' sounds. In three weeks I'm meant to be having an operation which should restore the hearing in one ear.

The thing is, I don't *need* this operation. If I leave my hearing as it is, I won't become wheelchair bound; my lungs won't collapse. I began learning sign language 3 years ago and would probably manage even if I ended up completely deaf. I feel like I'm having this surgery purely for selfish reasons - because I want to listen to music, want to 'fit in' without trying to piece together bits of conversation all the time - and I'm worrying that, just like with my back, I'm messing with something that God made and planned for me...

Sorry this is so long; I just read it back and it seems really self-pitying, sorry! I'm really not wanting sympathy, just advice. Basically, is opting for surgery messing with God's work?

I think you should have this operation. God put you in an age full of advanced medicine and technology for a reason :smile:
Maybe some guys on here could give me more support when I speak out against gay marriage and premarital sex?
Original post by Lantana

Whilst I think that's amazing, I've sadly seen it go the other way. Maybe I'm just really pessimistic :getmecoat:

Yeah I guess it's luck. But if you pray to God about your decisions, then He'll know what to do!

Original post by Ineluctable
Maybe some guys on here could give me more support when I speak out against gay marriage and premarital sex?

I have done this many times on TSR in the past. So have many of the members here.

I'm not against Gay marriage, and I think it's difficult to speak out against premarital sex without being judgemental. I'd prefer to spend my time showing people just how much they are loved by their creator.
Original post by rainbowbex
I'm not against Gay marriage, and I think it's difficult to speak out against premarital sex without being judgemental. I'd prefer to spend my time showing people just how much they are loved by their creator.

:ditto:

I try and avoid judgmental/debate threads anyway. I prefer to lurk in peaceful places where I don't have to justify my faith to anyone :smile:
Original post by rainbowbex

So you are happy to ignore parts of the Bible just like that
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Yeah I guess it's luck. But if you pray to God about your decisions, then He'll know what to do!

I have done this many times on TSR in the past. So have many of the members here.

And yet your rep stays intact?

In my case at least, I don't believe the Bible to be dictated by God nor particularly representative of Him :nah:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
In my case at least, I don't believe the Bible to be dictated by God nor particularly representative of Him :nah:

Then you aren't really a Christian.
Reply 4593
Original post by Facticity
Errm I'd like to know what people here think of non-Christian friendships and non-Christian relationships and perhaps any passages from the Bible.

I have some very close friends who are non-Christian but its never really been an issue and they've always respected my faith to the point of coming to church with me and listening to me ramble for ages about all kinds of Christianity related things. I've known them for ages and I have never had any issues with them - however obviously as we get older the obvious differences in our world views and lifestyles show - its much more noticeable. I was just wondering what people think about non-Christian friends and our relationships with them. I have been told they should be restricted by some, which I didn't really like but at the same time I can see the influence that they could have and the difference between us. I am unsure as to this matter - I don't want to limit my friendships however it is harder to meld as we act and think differently especially at our ages. Just to clarify, this isn't me having any arguments with them, just my general observations and thoughts.

And the other questions was in regards to having non-Christian partners. This isn't too particular, rather I am just generally wondering. Thanks.

I personally don't see an issue with either situation - as long as they respect my faith, and I respect their views, then there's no issue as far as I'm concerned. Of course, if it comes to life partners with whom you're planning marriage and kids, religion can become an issue, but I don't think it has to be one at all.
Reply 4594

Personally no. Two of my closest Christian friends are a lesbian couple who are getting a civil partnership and blessing etc next summer.
Then you aren't really a Christian.

You can think that if you like :smile:
Original post by Kebabbi
Thank you so much for this, genuinely hadn't thought of any of that :smile:

I know, and I wouldn't be even considering this if I was in a more seriously dangerous situation, like life-threatening, but this seems like a superficial thing... but Lantana is right, I think I was just looking for reasons to chicken out! Sometimes I guess it just takes another perspective on things. So thank you :biggrin:

Glad to have helped

Whilst I know where you are coming from, remember that 1) there are various contentious issues where people will take different stances and 2) some people are not at the same stage of their xian walk as you.

And yet your rep stays intact?

Why does it matter so - I keep getting negged for really minor disagreements like disliking a certain song. If you get negged for more than that, then you should wear it with honour. But tone is an important thing too.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You can think that if you like :smile:

You can pretend all you want. That doesn't make you a Christian.
Original post by Kebabbi
Hi, I know this is going to sound a bit crazy - I haven't been able to tell anyone else - but I was wondering if anyone on here could help me...

I don't want to be too specific but basically I have a lot of medical issues and, aside from a lot of other stuff, have had four operations, two of which I would consider 'major.' All four were surgeries I *had* to have for various reasons, although the most major was a choice (it was scoliosis surgery - my doctor said I could leave it but that I'd be wheelchair bound within a couple of years and my lungs might collapse, so I went for it.) All four went wrong for various reasons, the most major complications being from the scoliosis op (I won't go into it but I will be living with huge pain for the rest of my life.) In the three years since that surgery, I've often wished I hadn't had it; sometimes I feel like I betrayed God, thinking that man could 'rebuild' my spine better than He built it in the first place, and that this is why so many things have now gone wrong.

I am also deaf - I can hear okay with hearing aids (i.e. I can function) but my hearing is getting worse, I can no longer hear music properly and most sounds are nothing like the 'real' sounds. In three weeks I'm meant to be having an operation which should restore the hearing in one ear.

The thing is, I don't *need* this operation. If I leave my hearing as it is, I won't become wheelchair bound; my lungs won't collapse. I began learning sign language 3 years ago and would probably manage even if I ended up completely deaf. I feel like I'm having this surgery purely for selfish reasons - because I want to listen to music, want to 'fit in' without trying to piece together bits of conversation all the time - and I'm worrying that, just like with my back, I'm messing with something that God made and planned for me...

I would hope that medical treatments aren't wrong, otherwise probably half of the people in this society are in trouble (there are so many medics...)! I think a good analogy to what you're doing is wearing glasses. Glasses aren't necessary, people could live with poor vision, but there's nothing wrong with getting glasses. The blind man in the gospels was born blind, but Jesus didn't make him stay that way! Just think of the surgery as a more permanent hearing aid. Good luck :smile:

It's not ignoring any part of the Bible even if you're ardently pro-gay marriage, and very biblically conservative. The question about gay marriage is a political issue, and it is perfectly consistent to think that it is immoral and yet should be legal.

Latest

Trending

Trending