The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dunno if this has already been covered... But which open day is everyone planning to go to? :biggrin:
Original post by LonelySoul193

Dunno if this has already been covered... But which open day is everyone planning to go to? :biggrin:

I went to the computing specific one in May. Was very good.

Was considering going again, to look at colleges. But unlikely to, because we have "Future's Day" at college, and I'm going to Oxford for the UNIQ summer schools so will get a taste then.
Reply 2102

I think quite a few of our contingent are going to the open days next week, but I've already been to the Maths & CS open day so I decided against it.

None. :frown: You?
Reply 2104
I am proud to say that I am now one of those who have ordered Thinking Skills by Butterworth and Thwaites. Just thought I'd share because I'm bored right now :smile:
To all those who have already gotten their copies (And I know this has been discussed before but I'm just too lazy to look for it and since we regularly discuss topics multiple times I'll just bring it up again):
How much help has it been to you so far?

Also, the closer the open day comes, the more undecided I am about college choice... I just looked at Merton's website again, and it looked so lovely and the tutors look so nice and do exactly the stuff I'm most interested in... I really hope the open day will help me make my mind up. So hard...
I know people keep saying that you should base your decision at least to some extent on the research interests, which I understand very much, but I just keep wondering if the tutors won't feel like you just want to suck up to them so they'll like you more and then in the end actually hate you. Even though I suppose they can tell who's actually interested and who's just faking their interest right? Sooo many worries... Sorry to bother y'all with this... I just can't stop thinking about all this stuff and that's gonna make not getting in so much worse...
Who'sssss going to the open days? I'm booked to see Worcester on Wednesday but I'm not sure what I'm doing Tthursday.
Original post by MeeMee
x

Yay! Join the club. Mine's (still) waiting to be shipped. :| If mine arrives before yours, I'll tell you how effective it is. :smile:

You're an international student, right? I'm sure I've asked before, but anyway - where from? :biggrin:
Original post by punctuation
None. :frown: You?

Aww that's unlucky. Canada is a bit far away though just to come for an Open day. Still a shame though :frown: Do you know which college you're applying for?

I'm not sure personally. I'm considering going down in September with one of my parents. Thing is, I don't know if I'd cope with Oxford because it's about 6 hours away from where I live... And I'm pretty bad in terms of homesickness and have always been awful with anxiety.
(edited 12 years ago)
Aww that's unlucky. Canada is a bit far away though just to come for an Open day. Still a shame though :frown: Do you know which college you're applying for?

I'm not sure personally. I'm considering going down in September with one of my parents. Thing is, I don't know if I'd cope with Oxford because it's about 6 hours away from where I live... And I'm pretty bad in terms of homesickness and have always been awful with anxiety.

I"m the opposite....I can't wait to get away from home :moon:

Yeah. Most likely St John's unless I really fall in love with another college during my August visit. :biggrin:

I'm sort of bad with homesickness. I'm 99% certain that I will cry in my bed on my first night of uni. :frown: Though maybe I'll be filled with too much illegal (too young for freshers' week) drink to care. :dontknow:

However, I've also travelled alone to family/relatives (i.e. 13-hr flights) 3 times and stayed with them without immediate family for weeks at a time. The last time I did this (last August) I was completely fine after the first two days of moping. I've also stayed at overnight (2 weeks) camps twice. So... I don't know how I'll cope. England is pretty far away from home, especially for a whole uni year... then again it'll be so exciting maybe I'll forget about it. I also have family in Germany/China, which is comparatively close by. *sigh* Who knows...

Original post by medbh4805
I can't wait to get away from home :moon:

This, though. :yes:
Yeah. Most likely St John's unless I really fall in love with another college during my August visit. :biggrin:

I'm sort of bad with homesickness. I'm 99% certain that I will cry in my bed on my first night of uni. :frown: Though maybe I'll be filled with too much illegal (too young for freshers' week) drink to care. :dontknow:

However, I've also travelled alone to family/relatives (i.e. 13-hr flights) 3 times and stayed with them without immediate family for weeks at a time. The last time I did this (last August) I was completely fine after the first two days of moping. I've also stayed at overnight (2 weeks) camps twice. So... I don't know how I'll cope. England is pretty far away from home, especially for a whole uni year... then again it'll be so exciting maybe I'll forget about it. I also have family in Germany/China, which is comparatively close by. *sigh* Who knows...

I"m the opposite....I can't wait to get away from home :moon:

Ah well, at least you have a rough idea :smile:

Awwww yeah :frown: Homesickness is such an awful thing, as is anxiety.

Well you seem a lot more 'stable' than I do :P I'm seriously awful.

Also, the ease of which you both anticipate moving to Oxford to be for you makes me insanely jealous and slightly resentful of you both :P
Reply 2111

China is miles away!!
Wow, I went away for a week and this thread grew 25 pages! :eek:

Anyone else going to either the Merton or the maths open day on the 7th? I'll be staying the night before at the college, so there's an outside chance I'll bump into Sven or Chiara as they're leaving on the 6th, if they hang around too long. My real name's Jessica.

In the politics discussion, I'm another left-winger. My political compass is in my sig. I'm active in that I lead my school's Amnesty International club, but as I keep reminding people, Amnesty is an apolitical organisation *glares into real world*.

Original post by candide
To continue with the biology anology, I often worry that Gaidhlig is becoming like the panda in the zoo, kept alive by artificial means, with all the funding one could need, yet still not reproducing. Are the goverment merely freezing us as cultural artifacts for tourists to gawp at?

We in Scotland are in a very shaky position. Most Gaidhlig-speaking kids don't speak it in a home or natural environment. For me, I could never abandon my language, but sometimes I wonder if its really some of my mainland dwelling friends' language, or whether its just been forced on them to satisfy their parents cravings for a taste of olde scotland.

In the short term, I'd hate to lose it. In the long term, maybe it'd be better to let it die rather than keep it in a vegetative state, with most speakers not really ever (wanting to) speak it.

Sorry about the length! Language death is often on my mind.

I think that in Edinburgh, which isn't traditionally much of a Gaelic-speaking place, there's probably slightly more Gaelic speaking going on now than fifty years ago, due to the SNP. It's still very marginal, though (except in my Higher music class last year). Incidentally, some colleagues of my parents put their children into the Gaelic stream of Tollcross just because it feeds into our high school, and they leave in a worse catchment. They aren't Scottish at all. And because Gaelic has money and none of the other languages do, our teachers all nick jotters off the Gaelic department. Sorry for the random ramble.

Hebrew is our model - if a language as difficult and obscure could become the language of a nation, then why couldn't celtic languages flourish?

However, you have to remember that almost all Jews could speak a little Hebrew before this, for reading and studying the Torah. Learned men would even be reasonably fluent. So for them it wasn't obscure, just not used for day-to-day purposes. It's a language which all those who identify as Jewish feel somewhat connected to, and they hear and speak it every time they pray. Gaidhlig at least is only like that for a small minority of the population of Scotland, mostly in the Western Isles. The majority of Scots don't feel connected to it, I think.

I'm not sure that any of what I just said makes sense. I'm too tired.
Original post by anyone_can_fly

Anyone else going to either the Merton or the maths open day on the 7th? I'll be staying the night before at the college, so there's an outside chance I'll bump into Sven or Chiara as they're leaving on the 6th, if they hang around too long. My real name's Jessica.

In the politics discussion, I'm another left-winger. My political compass is in my sig. I'm active in that I lead my school's Amnesty International club, but as I keep reminding people, Amnesty is an apolitical organisation *glares into real world*.

I am not a fan of them tbh.

Meh, at least none of you are anarcho communist

oh hi there fellow maths applicant, how is your personal statement going? I had Microsoft Word open for an hour before and all I'd written was "proof" :facepalm2:
Reply 2114

I think that in Edinburgh, which isn't traditionally much of a Gaelic-speaking place, there's probably slightly more Gaelic speaking going on now than fifty years ago, due to the SNP. It's still very marginal, though (except in my Higher music class last year). Incidentally, some colleagues of my parents put their children into the Gaelic stream of Tollcross just because it feeds into our high school, and they leave in a worse catchment. They aren't Scottish at all. And because Gaelic has money and none of the other languages do, our teachers all nick jotters off the Gaelic department. Sorry for the random ramble.

However, you have to remember that almost all Jews could speak a little Hebrew before this, for reading and studying the Torah. Learned men would even be reasonably fluent. So for them it wasn't obscure, just not used for day-to-day purposes. It's a language which all those who identify as Jewish feel somewhat connected to, and they hear and speak it every time they pray. Gaidhlig at least is only like that for a small minority of the population of Scotland, mostly in the Western Isles. The majority of Scots don't feel connected to it, I think.

The biggest problem for the SNP is going to be how we define "Scottishness." It's all well and good being 'civic' nationalists, open to all races and religions, but there has to be something which defines an independent Scotland as 'not-English.' Now I would say that part of that is left-wing values and more tolerance and openness to people but also there has to be some recognition of Scotland's distinct history. Scots/Lallans/Doric etc all suffer from the status (however wrong) of being mere dialects of English; in the same Scotland sufferes from the status at present (however wrong) of being a parasitic province of England/Britain. The post 1921 independent Ireland's support for Irish was necessary to assert its not-Englishness (in spite of being mostly English-speaking); by the same token, an independent Scotland is really going to have to work to build up Gaidhlig's speaker base in order to have somekind of connection to its pre-English past. Without gaidhlig we may as well be an accented England!
Reply 2115
I'm a first-year-but-soon-to-be-second-year Mathematician at Hertford. If anyone wants to know anything about Maths, Hertford, college choice or general Access related issues e.g. if you're worried about not fitting in etc. then give me a shout either by PM or quoting me on here and I'll be glad to help.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by deejayy
China is miles away!!

Ah yes but closer/perhaps more easily accessible to England than Canada is to England.

---

Are you lucky open day folk going to do anything cool in Oxford when not attending the lectures and things? :biggrin: How many of you are staying the night?

Haha you'll probably bump into both Sven AND Chiara as we've decided to stick together throughout the day. If you see a small dark haired girl and a tall blond boy talking in German, that's probably us :biggrin: Come and say hi!

Found out last night that it's going to be RAINING on Wednesday :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown: Now what? :frown:

What else is everyone doing after the main college events end? I was hoping to go out and about around Oxford but that is so much effort in the rain....

I'm so excited, though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2118
Also, I'm working at the Open Days at Hertford this year, and might be around Exam Schools for a few hours at the Target Schools stand as well for a few hoursif anyone wants to come ask me questions then.
Reply 2119
I am probably extremely late to this thread, now that its 107 pages long, but I'm going to apply for Maths and Comp Sci.

Also I'll probably be at the open day on the 7th, just to go to the talks and look around the city etc.

Undecided on the college though.

Latest

Trending

Trending