The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Armaros
Thanks a lot for your replies and encouragement! Great to see I'm not alone. I'll definitely be watching that video.

No problem, don't worry about it - God's plan will prevail!

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
No worries. I hope it works out for you. It's always nice to have someone special in your life :smile:

definitely is :smile:
Ecclesiastes 2:24-25 - "There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God, for apart from Him who can eat or who can have enjoyment?"

Amazing verses.
Reply 5202
Original post by JB Johnstone
Ecclesiastes 2:24-25 - "There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God, for apart from Him who can eat or who can have enjoyment?"

Amazing verses.

Many unbelievers live their life just like that!
Do you believe there is nothing better?
Hey All, Just wondering if I could have some prayer please?

I found out today that the landlord is charging us £100 for the shelves in our flat being unclean (definately not, my flatmate took everything down, washed everything and wiped the shelves, then put everything back) and all the surfaces were wiped down because I did it. He's charging us for 'cobwebs' - I vacuumed that place like there was not tomorrow. And for a dirty saucepan - there was one that was burnt on, and wouldn't come clean - we tried, many times.

I don't understand how, even if these problems existed, we are being charged £100 for it? Since when does that Equate to more than an hours extra cleaning? I'd pay £10 for that, not £33 which he's expecting me to. I have every intention of taking this up with him because I think £100 is extortionate given as all the floors were washed, the walls were washed, all carpets were vacuumed, windows had been opened to let the place air before we moved out, the bathroom had been scrubbed to within an inch of it's life. There was no damage and the place had been very well taken care of, with a clean interior maintained throughout the year.

Though I did forget to wipe out one kitchen cupboard and sort the grill pan, I rang the landlord the day after I moved out, explaining that was something I'd forgotten to do and would sort it out when I came to collect stuff.

life is so unfair. Anyway, can you please pray that the situation gets resolved and that we don't get charged that amount of money. I need that money! £33 is half a day's work... £100 for what couldn't have taken more than an hour, two tops... I don't understand :frown:
Original post by rainbowbex

I found out today that the landlord is charging us £100 for the shelves in our flat being unclean (definately not, my flatmate took everything down, washed everything and wiped the shelves, then put everything back) and all the surfaces were wiped down because I did it. He's charging us for 'cobwebs' - I vacuumed that place like there was not tomorrow. And for a dirty saucepan - there was one that was burnt on, and wouldn't come clean - we tried, many times.

I don't understand how, even if these problems existed, we are being charged £100 for it? Since when does that Equate to more than an hours extra cleaning? I'd pay £10 for that, not £33 which he's expecting me to. I have every intention of taking this up with him because I think £100 is extortionate given as all the floors were washed, the walls were washed, all carpets were vacuumed, windows had been opened to let the place air before we moved out, the bathroom had been scrubbed to within an inch of it's life. There was no damage and the place had been very well taken care of, with a clean interior maintained throughout the year.

Though I did forget to wipe out one kitchen cupboard and sort the grill pan, I rang the landlord the day after I moved out, explaining that was something I'd forgotten to do and would sort it out when I came to collect stuff.

life is so unfair. Anyway, can you please pray that the situation gets resolved and that we don't get charged that amount of money. I need that money! £33 is half a day's work... £100 for what couldn't have taken more than an hour, two tops... I don't understand :frown:

That sounds horrible :frown: Prayer said :console:

Prayer said, although definitely see a solicitor or get some legal advice if you think you're being conned.

I'd make sure you get a written record of what he's asking for the money for, and if possible, take pictures of the place before he has a chance to change anything. I don't know if your uni does it, but some have blacklists for dodgy landlords - it's definitely worth mentioning to the accommodation office
Original post by APG93
hey all just asking for some prayer and guidance please :smile: i'm 17, 18 in november and really like this girl whose 15, 16 in january. We're both strong, on-fire christians serving as young leaders in our church. I've been thinking of asking her out but I'd really like prayer and advice as to whether the age gap is inappropiate. Thanks guys :smile:

I don't think the age difference is too big, but there are some things I think you should carefully consider first (if you haven't already...):

1) If you're both leaders in your church, you will have to be extra-careful about setting a good example of a relationship, which might be tough at a young age. So make sure you'd be able to have appropriate support/accountability available, and make sure the two of you discuss things beforehand.

2) What do/would her parents think? Even if you don't think the age gap is significant, they might have a few questions about it!
Original post by mevidek
don't worry, we all experience doubts in our lifetimes. As long as we get over them, and ultimately realise that the Christian path is correct, and part of God's plan, then it's all fine!

You may want to watch this video, it basically is a debate between a Christian and an Atheist. Very long, I know. The Christian wins the debate, even though the Atheist is one of the most well-known staunch atheists alive:

Spoiler

To be fair to atheism, Hitchens isn't exactly the best representative in that debate!
?"For our soul is so specially loved of Him that is highest, that if overpasseth the knowing of all creatures: that is to say, there is no creature that is made that may know how much and how sweetly and how tenderly our Maker loveth us. And therefore we may with grace and His help stand in spiritual beholding with everlasting marvel of this high, overpassing, inestimable Love that Almighty God hath to us of His Goodness" - Julian of Norwich
My best friend/mother figure's researches and translates Julian of Norwich and her work. I only bothered looking up Julian of Norwich after we parted, only to realise that she heard voices and had visions and that my best friend researches other female Catholic mystics too. Can't have been coincidence that a Julian of Norwich expert came into my life :biggrin:
Original post by dreiviergrenadier

To be fair to atheism, Hitchens isn't exactly the best representative in that debate!

but he is well respected among atheists. If that's the best they can do, then they are laughable.
Original post by mevidek
but he is well respected among atheists. If that's the best they can do, then they are laughable.

I'd say he's respected more by the lay atheist, just because of his style. I don't think he's respected by any atheist intellectuals. There are much more challenging debaters out there!
I'd say he's well respected in rhetoric, and the best anyone could do in that respect; I love listening to him speak. Just not that well respected among philosophers of religion, so was never going to win against Craig.
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
I'd say he's respected more by the lay atheist, just because of his style. I don't think he's respected by any atheist intellectuals. There are much more challenging debaters out there!

such as Richard Dawkins, who like all Atheists, resorts to personal insults and attacks rather than focusing on the problems at hand.
Romans 6:12-14 "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions. Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness. For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace."

Amazing verses, I need to memorise them and store them up in my heart. I just want to be clean and pure and sanctified, I don't want this sinful body or heart or nature. Can't wait for heaven!

Prayers said. That sounds nasty :console:

I was very thankful that I didn't get charged anything extra for our flat. One of my flatmates left door open and unlocked one night and we got hoover stolen but either they haven't noticed or have decided not to charge us. Landlords are a funny bunch!
“I confess to the church, I know I have backed away from certain things because of my arrogance I thought I could attract more people to Jesus by hiding certain things about him.”
—Francis Chan, from a conversation with Mark Galli.
Oh hai guyz. Guess who owned their IB :smug:

39 points! :woo: :wizard:

Add another med student to this thread then :ahee:

All my stuff is in my Sig :awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Facticity
Oh hai guyz. Guess who merked their IB as well :smug:

39 points! :woo: :wizard:

Add another med student to this thread then :ahee:

All my stuff is in my Sig :awesome:

Congrats :woo: :awesome: :woo:

Latest