The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manic_fuzz
I think if i ever decided to learn ancient Greek it'd be to read their mythology in the original languages, mmmm mythology...

I adore mythology. My ex boyfriend bought me a book about Greek mythology IN GERMAN :woo:
Reply 3341
Original post by candide
Lol, I used to lug a mobile library into school as I'd always be terrified of free periods where there was no reading material and/or no-one'd play chess or cards with me.

A corner of the common room turned into a storage space for the teetering piles of my books. And you know what? No-one laughed. I think they all just expect it now.:s-smilie:

Yeah, I have a cupboard in our form room that's pretty much 'my cupboard' bar the two shelves at the bottom - I'm the only one that ever uses it. I keep an extra copy of every textbook I need so I don't have to lug them to and from school every day, plus it means they're always available in frees.

I think most people are used to me disappearing into the room and coming out with another textbook.

Oh, there's also a copy of most UK prospectuses in there, just in case.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by such_a_lady
I might send it to you if you like, when it's done? What points did you make it your essay? I'm so interested to hear :biggrin:

Ooh could i take a peek maybe if it's in english? It seems interesting :biggrin: If it's in German then... :getmecoat:

I adore mythology. My ex boyfriend bought me a book about Greek mythology IN GERMAN :woo:

:biggrin: ah i have a lovely book on Greek/Roman/Celtic/Norse mythology... in English :wink: It's all rather 'marvy' i agree ! :smile:

Ahaha look at these people buying you all these German intellectual books! My friend decided he'd buy me a mister-men book in French... 'M. Parfait'! :redface: i think it just shows what people assume my mentally to be of :lol :lol:
I might send it to you if you like, when it's done? What points did you make it your essay? I'm so interested to hear :biggrin:

Sure send it to me if you like! Would be interesting to read. :smile:

Sorry, maybe it's because it's late but what do you exactly mean by "what points did you make it your essay"? :tongue: gotta sleep more... :biggrin:
Original post by nightmare91
Sure send it to me if you like! Would be interesting to read. :smile:

Sorry, maybe it's because it's late but what do you exactly mean by "what points did you make it your essay"? :tongue: gotta sleep more... :biggrin:

In, sorry. Also was für Pünkte hasch in deinem Aufsatz gemacht? (What points did you make in your essay, right?)

Ah yes that makes sense! :tongue: i forget about things like that, probably because i've never done any language qualifications and such as :frown: The closest i get in school is studying already translated texts in englishlit, although i love the way they all have such powerful sounding names! :tongue: I think if i ever decided to learn ancient Greek it'd be to read their mythology in the original languages, mmmm mythology...

is it bad that i've never watched that? :tongue:

Homer is damn hard, mainly because you learn Attic Greek but the Odyssey and Iliad are written in old Ionic (or so says the 100 year old content of my Greek grammar, budding philologists with more up to date knowledge feel free to correct me). Yeah the English doesn't really match the Greek or Latin, words have certain shades and connotations which are lost in translation :moon:

is it bad that i've never watched that? :tongue:

It's fabulous for sexual innuendoes and exploiting national stereotypes :lol: You should watch it :yep:

Germans feature pretty heavily in classical scholarship :yes:
Original post by medbh4805
Homer is damn hard, mainly because you learn Attic Greek but the Odyssey and Iliad are written in old Ionic (or so says the 100 year old content of my Greek grammar, budding philologists with more up to date knowledge feel free to correct me). Yeah the English doesn't really match the Greek or Latin, words have certain shades and connotations which are lost in translation :moon:

It's fabulous for sexual innuendoes and exploiting national stereotypes :lol: You should watch it :yep:

Ah i'm meant to be reading the Odyssey and the Iliad as wider reading... it's a shame that i'll be reading texts that have lost their original flair due to translation :frown: mmm!

And ooh, well maybe i'll give it a go then, though, i'm already great at making up my own continuous sexual innuendos :wink: at the expense of my poor pained friends... :lol:
Ah i'm meant to be reading the Odyssey and the Iliad as wider reading... it's a shame that i'll be reading texts that have lost their original flair due to translation :frown: mmm!

What translations are you reading? The best you can get to imitating the original is a verse translation (as opposed to one rendered into prose :indiff:). I recommend Lattimore.

And ooh, well maybe i'll give it a go then, though, i'm already great at making up my own continuous sexual innuendos :wink: at the expense of my poor pained friends... :lol:

I can't help slipping one in every now and again.
Alright, that sounds like a deal :biggrin:. Maybe we'll make so much money that we don't even have to go to University anymore :tongue:

Hooray! Or maybe we'll have enough to make a 'generous donation' to Oxford in our names... :wink:

Oh really? I prefer to fight in air, rather than on water :wink: If you see my super-duper-shooting-aircraft-thing then be sure to wave at me from your boat! :biggrin:

I thought this said, "be sure to shoot at me from your boat". So I will. :biggrin:
What translations are you reading? The best you can get to imitating the original is a verse translation (as opposed to one rendered into prose :indiff:). I recommend Lattimore.

I can't help slipping one in every now and again.

:tongue: well we only actually looked over a part of each in class, but i'm guessing it was a verse translation because there wasn't any rhyming :lol:
:wink: and well, sometimes conversation needs to be livened up a bit, eh!
Alright, that sounds like a deal :biggrin:. Maybe we'll make so much money that we don't even have to go to University anymore :tongue:

So if this book idea takes off and you do make lots... D'you mind still applying to Oxford, then I can go in your place? :biggrin:
Germans feature pretty heavily in classical scholarship :yes:

Cuz' they are awesome :tongue:

In, sorry. Also was für Pünkte hasch in deinem Aufsatz gemacht? (What points did you make in your essay, right?)

Well it is almost 6 months ago when I wrote this so I don't remember everything, but I still have it somewhere (*off to look for it*). The main topic was to compare Prometheus to Goethes Faust, like:
Die Herausforderung göttlicher
Macht durch den Menschen, der durch eigene Wissensanstrengungen Macht
über die Grenzen des Lebens erstrebt, der sich nicht nur relativen Gefahren
entgegenstellt, sondern der unkalkulierbaren Schranke des Todes

(The challenge of god through the humans that try to win by trying to grasp all knowledge that is possible...)

Okay the translation sucks, but you know what it means in German :biggrin:
Original post by punctuation

I thought this said, "be sure to shoot at me from your boat". So I will. :biggrin:

YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT ME?! :eek:

Talk about killing off competition, i'm not even applying for the same subject as you

:frown: *cries in corner and awaits death* :lol:
:tongue: well we only actually looked over a part of each in class, but i'm guessing it was a verse translation because there wasn't any rhyming :lol:
:wink: and well, sometimes conversation needs to be livened up a bit, eh!

When did verse ever have to rhyme? free verse and all that jazz :pierre:
Original post by LonelySoul193
So if this book idea takes off and you do make lots... D'you mind still applying to Oxford, then I can go in your place? :biggrin:

Sorry, I'll still be applying to Oxford. :s-smilie: Though you may see a "Julie & Sven" quad pop up in one of your colleges... :wink:

YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT ME?! :eek:

Talk about killing off competition, i'm not even applying for the same subject as you

:frown: *cries in corner and awaits death* :lol:

Aww. It's okay. I'll make it a painless death. :smile:

(In a similar situation my friends and I were discussing a zombie apocalypse and I told one of them that I would shoot her if she ever turned to put her out of her misery. Afterwards it just turned into me shooting her, end of. :biggrin:)
Hooray! Or maybe we'll have enough to make a 'generous donation' to Oxford in our names... :wink:

That's what I thought, too :wink:

Original post by LonelySoul193

Hmmm.... Well, if I get REALLY rich and world famous together with Julie, I'll think about it :biggrin: Or we'll donate so much money that they create another place that you can apply for :wink:
Cuz' they are awesome :tongue:

:yep:
Ahhh, finally finished!! 2363 words! It sounds like a piece of cake, but these were 18th century German poems to be fair :tongue:

Rhys, Sven, I'll send it to you if you send me your emails :tongue: SO PROUD OF MYSELF! My first German literary criticism essay!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
When did verse ever have to rhyme? free verse and all that jazz :pierre:

:wink: i never said it has to rhyme, although, i do like a good rhyme now and again :smile: except from anything by e.e.cummings... his distorted grammar and layout just annoys me :lol:

Aww. It's okay. I'll make it a painless death. :smile:

(In a similar situation my friends and I were discussing a zombie apocalypse and I told one of them that I would shoot her if she ever turned to put her out of her misery. Afterwards it just turned into me shooting her, end of. :biggrin:)

:smile: Oh, well that makes it all better then! x)

And ooh, i concur! Telling your friends that you're going to kill them is simply a must :biggrin: survival of the fittest and all!

Latest

Trending

Trending