The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Law and Politics @ QMUL

I'm considering applying to Queen Mary in the 2012 UCAS cycle for Law and Politics. My interests lie mainly in law, but I also have a keen interest in politics too, hence wanting to do the joint degree program.

If there's anyone on here doing Law and Politics at QM, i'd love to hear your comments on the course.

Another thing to note is that I intend to become a barrister and/or solicitor some time after the degree; what are my chances with this joint degree considering it states on QM's website that you can organise your modules to graduate with a qualifying law degree. Could I be disadvantaged compared to somebody with a full law degree?

Many thanks,

Adam.
Hi,

This may not be of any help, but I was/am also thinking about this exact course, and in answer to your query, I don't see why it would be a disadvantage for a future legal career. So long - obviously - as you ensure it's a QLD, if anything, I would have thought that it would demonstrate a wider skills set.

Also, the areas of Law and Politics are intrinsically linked, so it's not as though you would be wasting your time on an unrelated subject.

(and sorry for bumping a 4-month-old thread...)

:smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
im still deciding on wehther i want to do law and politics or ppe. i know a few people who already done law and politics and their in a top law firm in london somewhere. so it would not put you at a disadvantage whatsoever :tongue:
Original post by palestinian.chick
im still deciding on wehther i want to do law and politics or ppe. i know a few people who already done law and politics and their in a top law firm in london somewhere. so it would not put you at a disadvantage whatsoever :tongue:

King's College London is running Politics, Philosophy and Law from 2012, that's kind of a bit of both :smile: And I don't think any other Uni does it.

Information is here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/download/Law.pdf (page 112), but it's not really on their website. Oh, and it says 'subject to approval', but I'm pretty sure it'll go ahead, as I've had an email from KCL saying they're doing it :smile:

It's the course I really want to do, although I'll probably never get the grades... :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by forrestgump19
King's College London is running Politics, Philosophy and Law from 2012, that's kind of a bit of both :smile: And I don't think any other Uni does it.

Information is here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/download/Law.pdf (page 112), but it's not really on their website. Oh, and it says 'subject to approval', but I'm pretty sure it'll go ahead, as I've had an email from KCL saying they're doing it :smile:

It's the course I really want to do, although I'll probably never get the grades... :/

Hull does, but you need to check if you can go into law with those types of joint degrees. I am sure that there are certain things that it has to cover to qualify you to go to Law school.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by admbeatmaker
I'm considering applying to Queen Mary in the 2012 UCAS cycle for Law and Politics. My interests lie mainly in law, but I also have a keen interest in politics too, hence wanting to do the joint degree program.

If there's anyone on here doing Law and Politics at QM, i'd love to hear your comments on the course.

Another thing to note is that I intend to become a barrister and/or solicitor some time after the degree; what are my chances with this joint degree considering it states on QM's website that you can organise your modules to graduate with a qualifying law degree. Could I be disadvantaged compared to somebody with a full law degree?

Many thanks,

Adam.

I am sure that there are certain things that it has to cover to qualify you to go to Law school, assuming that you want to go into law. So make sure you check with the uni and law school first, else you will be surprised to find that some law degrees do not qualify you for law school.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Millz
Hull does, but you need to check if you can do into law with those types of joint degrees. I am sure that there are certain things that it has to cover to qualify you to go to Law school.

I'm almost certain I read somewhere that it can be taken as a QLD. Can't find where I read it though :/

I'm sure you'd be able to structure it in that way, though. It's four years long, and there are only so many compulsory core law modules to take, so it should be doable.

thats perfect!!!! omg your a legend... thats brilliant! i would love to live in london aswell!! it wont be that competitive as its pretty new right? which other univerisities do this course?
Reply 8
I'm almost certain I read somewhere that it can be taken as a QLD. Can't find where I read it though :/

I'm sure you'd be able to structure it in that way, though. It's four years long, and there are only so many compulsory core law modules to take, so it should be doable.

I am not an expert, I am just saying what I have been told by lawyers and law lectures and my cousin who is a lawyer. I dabbled with the idea of reading a law degree before choosing to read a PPE degree; you have to check with each university, especially, if it is not an LLB or LLM.

PPL is an LLB, hmmmm. I guess that I did not look hard enough when applying to uni. Lol.

N.B. Oh, one more thing, is it true that Kings will be closing their law department?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Millz
I am not an expert, I am just saying what I have been told by lawyers and law lectures and my cousin who is a lawyer. I dabbled with the idea of reading a law degree before choosing to read a PPE degree; you have to check with each university, especially, if it is not an LLB or LLM.

PPL is an LLB, hmmmm. I guess that I did not look hard enough when applying to uni. Lol.

N.B. Oh, one more thing, is it true that Kings will be closing their law department?

Wha..?! First I've heard of it! I'll look into it.

One more thing; what kind of Master's would suit this type of degree, for someone who probably won't want to go into a career as a lawyer? (IE, me) :smile: And before you ask, I don't really know what I want to do :P
thats perfect!!!! omg your a legend... thats brilliant! i would love to live in london aswell!! it wont be that competitive as its pretty new right? which other univerisities do this course?

On the other hand, it'll probably not have many places, as it's new, so it may well fill up fast.

I felt the same as you when I first saw it, but the entry requirements are A*AA/A, so I probably won't get in :/

Hull & Swansea do it, I think, although Swansea's (and perhaps Hull's) is a BA, so MAY not be a Qualifying Law Degree, unless you can structure it that way.
Reply 11
Wha..?! First I've heard of it! I'll look into it.

One more thing; what kind of Master's would suit this type of degree, for someone who probably won't want to go into a career as a lawyer? (IE, me) :smile: And before you ask, I don't really know what I want to do :P

Law degree, you can do anything, finance or maybe financial law. Erm, international relations, if you like the law and politics field, look at this.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/course_guide/diplomatic_studies.html

Your mind will probably change though, as you progress through your studies. What are you interested in?

look at this too http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/courses/masters
(edited 12 years ago)
On the other hand, it'll probably not have many places, as it's new, so it may well fill up fast.

I felt the same as you when I first saw it, but the entry requirements are A*AA/A, so I probably won't get in :/

Hull & Swansea do it, I think, although Swansea's (and perhaps Hull's) is a BA, so MAY not be a Qualifying Law Degree, unless you can structure it that way.

i just called and they said there are 30 places available. ive decided to do ppe at 4 universities and then do ppl at kings. :smile: im sure you can get in - what you predicted for a2?
Original post by Millz
Law degree, you can do anything, finance or maybe financial law. Erm, international relations, if you like the law and politics field, look at this.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/course_guide/diplomatic_studies.html

Your mind will probably change though, as you progress through your studies. What are you interested in?

look at this too http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/courses/masters

Thanks for those links! TBH I'm liable to change my mind constantly :smile: so I'm just looking for ideas at the moment. Besides, I still have a decent amount of time to make my mind up. Finance isn't really my thing though. Maybe something business-related - though I'm aware that this is an enormous field.

One last question, how 'hard' is it to get into Oxbridge for a postgraduate course? I'm guessing it's easier than for an Undergrad, but are there any statistics on number of applicants:number of places etc.? Sorry if I'm being stupid, but I can't find this information anywhere.

i just called and they said there are 30 places available. ive decided to do ppe at 4 universities and then do ppl at kings. :smile: im sure you can get in - what you predicted for a2?

30 places! That's not very many. As long as we keep hush about it, maybe nobody else will find out :wink: although being on the internet I think that ship has sailed :P I have no idea what I'm predicted. I'll have to see how well I do on results day, although my lack of effort this year is already a big regret for me :/
I could probably get 'A's with a bit of effort, it's just that A*...

I (will) have an extra AS if that will help... :smile:
Reply 14
Thanks for those links! TBH I'm liable to change my mind constantly :smile: so I'm just looking for ideas at the moment. Besides, I still have a decent amount of time to make my mind up. Finance isn't really my thing though. Maybe something business-related - though I'm aware that this is an enormous field.

One last question, how 'hard' is it to get into Oxbridge for a postgraduate course? I'm guessing it's easier than for an Undergrad, but are there any statistics on number of applicants:number of places etc.? Sorry if I'm being stupid, but I can't find this information anywhere.

30 places! That's not very many. As long as we keep hush about it, maybe nobody else will find out :wink: although being on the internet I think that ship has sailed :P I have no idea what I'm predicted. I'll have to see how well I do on results day, although my lack of effort this year is already a big regret for me :/
I could probably get 'A's with a bit of effort, it's just that A*...

I (will) have an extra AS if that will help... :smile:

It depends; each course has a different entry requirement. They normally ask for a first class degree but funny enough, they ask for a 2.i for finance and most of their business degrees. You stand a better chance of getting into an Oxford MA to be real, if you work hard though.

Many thanks,

Adam.

In your third year you drop all your politics modules and just do law thus attaining an LLB. No disadvantage.

If you want to be a barrister read everything here - http://pupillageandhowtogetit.wordpress.com/

And get a first class in your degree and do lots of legal work experience.
Reply 16
Original post by unknown demon
In your third year you drop all your politics modules and just do law thus attaining an LLB. No disadvantage.

If you want to be a barrister read everything here - http://pupillageandhowtogetit.wordpress.com/

And get a first class in your degree and do lots of legal work experience.

I understand this, but it is to my knowledge that the degree will be awarded is a BA in Law and Politics, not an LLB?

Thanks for your help.
I understand this, but it is to my knowledge that the degree will be awarded is a BA in Law and Politics, not an LLB?

Thanks for your help.

The fact that it's a BA does not mean it's not a Qualifying Law Degree. As long as you fo all the core Law modules, it'll be a QLD, and therefore equivalent to an LLB anyway.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending