The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3740
Original post by Eldedu
Yeah when the applicants from the Far East start posting I think I'll open a vein and just end it all :tongue:

Your SAT scores aren't sub average by any means (you know that, or you should know that). They look as though they'd be comfortably within the interquartile ranges of the Ivies, which is the measure of an outstanding performance IMO. Your predicted grades are very impressive, and at any rate are likely to be held in greater consideration than SAT scores as this is a British university. TBH I think it won't make much difference either way, they're good enough that including them won't hurt your chances but they aren't so good that including them will necessarily improve your chances.

Hopefully a successful applicant who also took the SAT can give us some advice that actually has the benefit of hindsight though...

REALLY?! wow thts really surprising to hear =/, you just gave me a hella motivational boost :P idk, i posted college confidential, the american version of this website, and i got BASHED :'( for my SAT scores =/ apparently people thought it wasn't good enough :frown: i hope these brits don't discriminate by race XP bleh, american colleges do care about their distribution of "minorities" to ensure "diversity"....europeans have it wayyyyy easier than asians (me) X.X

anyhowz, are you going to put in any SAT scores yourself? but i mean IB is our main thing anyway XP out of curiosity, are you from an international school? i am :biggrin: idk judging by your english i doubt that you'd be studying in a regular spanish school!
Reply 3741
Original post by Chunif
REALLY?! wow thts really surprising to hear =/, you just gave me a hella motivational boost :P idk, i posted college confidential, the american version of this website, and i got BASHED :'( for my SAT scores =/ apparently people thought it wasn't good enough :frown: i hope these brits don't discriminate by race XP bleh, american colleges do care about their distribution of "minorities" to ensure "diversity"....europeans have it wayyyyy easier than asians (me) X.X

anyhowz, are you going to put in any SAT scores yourself? but i mean IB is our main thing anyway XP out of curiosity, are you from an international school? i am :biggrin: idk judging by your english i doubt that you'd be studying in a regular spanish school!

http://www.satscores.us/sat_scores_by_score.asp?score=2150

College Confidential is rubbish, tbh they were probably jealous. American colleges don't actually operate a quota system, it's true that a lot of applicants from Asia with excellent qualifications get turned down but it's not because they're Asian so much as because Asian educational systems focus on the academic to the detriment of all else. Coming from an international school as you do I doubt that would apply to you. In any case the UK universities won't care, they're after one thing and it's potential.

I will be putting my SAT scores in, but bear in mind that my IB results will most likely be much less impressive than yours (39-42, best case scenario). Unfortunately, IB is indeed our main thing.

I go to a British school in Peru, I suppose it qualifies as an international school although the student body is about 98% Peruvian.
Reply 3742
Original post by Eldedu
http://www.satscores.us/sat_scores_by_score.asp?score=2150

College Confidential is rubbish, tbh they were probably jealous. American colleges don't actually operate a quota system, it's true that a lot of applicants from Asia with excellent qualifications get turned down but it's not because they're Asian so much as because Asian educational systems focus on the academic to the detriment of all else. Coming from an international school as you do I doubt that would apply to you. In any case the UK universities won't care, they're after one thing and it's potential.

I will be putting my SAT scores in, but bear in mind that my IB results will most likely be much less impressive than yours (39-42, best case scenario). Unfortunately, IB is indeed our main thing.

I go to a British school in Peru, I suppose it qualifies as an international school although the student body is about 98% Peruvian.

Wow! Thanks for the link dude :smile: Didn't even know that site existed! Hmm well said there :smile: I certainly hope so :smile:

Woah peru! I've never been there! makes me wanna go! :P i bet you guys enjoy better weather than in this lousy place XP freakin sucks here :'( i swear we have some of the worst weather in europe :P the fact that they don't have karaokes makes everything much much worse :P i srsly can' figure out what german do besides drink beer and get hung over...X.X
Original post by Chunif
Wow! Thanks for the link dude :smile: Didn't even know that site existed! Hmm well said there :smile: I certainly hope so :smile:

Woah peru! I've never been there! makes me wanna go! :P i bet you guys enjoy better weather than in this lousy place XP freakin sucks here :'( i swear we have some of the worst weather in europe :P the fact that they don't have karaokes makes everything much much worse :P i srsly can' figure out what german do besides drink beer and get hung over...X.X

half the people in this thread live in germany, you'll fit right in, or maybe you won't
Reply 3744
Original post by Chunif

Funny you should mention it, Peru generally has quite nice weather but Lima is stuck between the Andes and the ocean, creating a microclimate which causes it to be cloudy during 9 months of the year (like dark grey almost black cloudy). It never rains, but it's humid and clammy so no luck with the weather :tongue: It's an amazing country though.

There are karaokes here, but to be honest what we do here is also along the lines of drinking and getting hung over.
Original post by Athena
If anyone wants the personal statement helpers to look at their PS, I encourage you to submit a draft sooner rather than later, as we get very busy in September! You can submit your statement in the appropriate forum here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134

I already submitted mine and was told to come back at the end of September...how odd. Do I need to repost mine? Should be in the languages section...
Original post by Chunif

Clearly you're not looking hard enough for the normal Germans then. Or maybe you're unlucky with your location. I've never had any problems in South Germany; in fact, there was always too MUCH to do...

Are you fluent in German then?
Interesting statistics that no one asked about from our website #1...

A lot of chrome users! woo!
Original post by punctuation
Interesting statistics that no one asked about from our website #1...

A lot of chrome users! woo!

too many safari users

Mac users should be shot tbh :ninja:

(i'm joking)
Original post by such_a_lady
Not another one

Add yourself to the spreadsheet :smile:

Already did
Reply 3750
Clearly you're not looking hard enough for the normal Germans then. Or maybe you're unlucky with your location. I've never had any problems in South Germany; in fact, there was always too MUCH to do...

He took German ab initio for IB, so I'm guessing no.
Reply 3751
Original post by cloudstr1f3r
I guess I'm late,

but hi everyone, I'm a prospective PPE-ist.

Hello. Welcome and good luck. There's already more PPEists on this thread than there are PPE places, so its not looking good for us.
Reply 3752
Original post by Eldedu
Funny you should mention it, Peru generally has quite nice weather but Lima is stuck between the Andes and the ocean, creating a microclimate which causes it to be cloudy during 9 months of the year (like dark grey almost black cloudy). It never rains, but it's humid and clammy so no luck with the weather :tongue: It's an amazing country though.

There are karaokes here, but to be honest what we do here is also along the lines of drinking and getting hung over.

awww damn :frown: yeah it used to be super moist back in Bangkok when i still lived there XP hahaha tsk tsk.....XP idk i guess i just like the asian social life better XP dude i just looked up the demographics in peru....seems like u guys have quite a variety of ethnic groups! idk i was just curious, since i've met quite a few ppl from brazil and even colombia who were caucasian....so i was just curious if tht happened to be the case in peru XP
Reply 3753

hahaha people in the south are really friendly though! as compared to the north :'( at least that was my impression! :smile: the more south you go the friendlier the people get, especially austria XP

technically im in ab initio but it's only because i haven't spoken german for maybe four years after i left europe for asia...but now im back :'( sadly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3754
Original post by Eldedu
Hello. Welcome and good luck. There's already more PPEists on this thread than there are PPE places, so its not looking good for us.

LOL HAHHAHAHHAHAHA

quite some critical thinking there :P and i was thinking i'd do PPE instead of E&M cuz it was easier to get in =_________________='' sigh~ idk about brits but american ivy leagues respect IB quite a bit :smile: so i think on our qualifications side we definitely won't be at a disadvantage :smile: there will be people who are just throwing apps although they obviously don't have the right grades for it....fingers crossed XP
Original post by Eldedu
That's lovely, and as another poster said, your forum, your rules. However, I find it hard to believe that this whole deleting-the-whole-thing-and-sending-off-alerts (or warnings, or whatever the Orwellian name you've given the things is) approach, is the best way to handle posts that I doubt broke any other forum rules when you could simply provide a translation yourselves (google translate, takes 15 seconds of your time) or ask us to do so.

I have given repeated reminders on this thread to always provide a translation with a post. The warning system allows us to send a more personal message to a user to remind them not to break the rules. My message above was yet another reminder not to do so. As Athena said, we don't have time to wait around for users to come and provide their own translation as often people will only come on TSR once every few days. I also think it's a little bit rich to assume that I should essentially run around after all of you translating posts that you make because it takes '15 seconds of my time' - actually it doesn't, considering the volume of foreign language posts that have come up on this thread. I am an exceedingly busy person and I mod on a volunteer basis, which I know you're aware of. What I was trying to do in posting an explanation of the rules above was to make my life and the lives of everybody else a little bit easier - the less time I spend translating foreign language posts, the more I can spend providing detailed and helpful advice to applicants, which has always been my primary reason for being on TSR. It was a polite and friendly reminder, and I don't really appreciate having the value of my time dismissed.

As you so accurately said, the posts were born out of an enthusiasm which I find it hard to believe could be detrimental to TSR.

The enthusiasm is absolutely not detrimental, but it is a fact that it excludes people from conversations! And from my rudimentary French I know that part of the point of the French conversation was to 'annoy the others' :p: We want these communities to be as inclusive as possible, and that comes with everyone sharing a common language. Like I said, if you want to do foreign language practice, either provide a translation, head to the foreign language areas or take it to PM :smile:

The current approach comes across as an over-zealous and yes, anally-retentive response to this "crime" of enthusiasm (I can use quotation marks disparagingly too :biggrin:).

I'm afraid that you have misread my tone. 'Anally retentive' were your words, not mine, and so they were in quotation marks. Nothing disparaging about it. And the current response is down to issues of time and ease - it is far easier to just remove offending posts and send a message to a user in the form of an alert than any alternative that I can see.

As I said before, the message was intended to bring greater transparency so that you would all understand why I am constantly asking for translations with foreign language posts. It's just the rules, and it would be a lot easier all round if you would spend a few seconds translating it underneath (seeing as you already know what you're trying to say in English anyway!).
Original post by Eldedu

:wtf: PPE has an intake of 239. There're only 27 PPEists on the spreadsheet. Where did the other 212 come from? :P
Original post by Chunif
LOL HAHHAHAHHAHAHA

quite some critical thinking there :P and i was thinking i'd do PPE instead of E&M cuz it was easier to get in =_________________='' sigh~ idk about brits but american ivy leagues respect IB quite a bit :smile: so i think on our qualifications side we definitely won't be at a disadvantage :smile: there will be people who are just throwing apps although they obviously don't have the right grades for it....fingers crossed XP

Yea the IB is very respected so that will not put you at a disadvantage :wink: And you're right, many people especially for the PPE course, are just applying even though they know they don't really have a chance but that is the same for E&M. Therefoe it doesn't really matter what you apply for but if you like PPE better than you will have a better chance getting in because the interviewers realize if you can't talk passionately about your subject. :wink:
Original post by Chunif
hahaha people in the south are really friendly though! as compared to the north :'( at least that was my impression! :smile: the more south you go the friendlier the people get, especially austria XP

hmm na ja nicht ganz aber ich kann schon ein wenig Deutsch ^ ^ wenn es nur um normale Konversationen geht, dann ist es fuer mich ganz ok :smile: sprichts du auch Deutsch? :smile:

technically im in ab initio but it's only because i haven't spoken german for maybe four years after i left europe for asia...but now im back :'( sadly.

Oh, careful of posting in German here; you have to put a translation underneath. Or have you not been reading the last few pages? :tongue:

Yeah, I've been learning German for six years and am doing A Level, and I'm actually applying for German and Spanish :biggrin: Why don't you like being in Germany!? I'm going there on Sunday, soooooooooo excited :biggrin:

And woo! South Germany! Definitely a Schwabin at heart, therefore I agree with you that we ARE friendlier :wink: although watch out, I know there is at least ONE North German here who would disagree :wink:

Original post by nightmare91
Yea the IB is very respected so that will not put you at a disadvantage :wink: And you're right, many people especially for the PPE course, are just applying even though they know they don't really have a chance but that is the same for E&M. Therefoe it doesn't really matter what you apply for but if you like PPE better than you will have a better chance getting in because the interviewers realize if you can't talk passionately about your subject. :wink:

I hope you can back this up with facts :tongue:
Reply 3759
Oh, careful of posting in German here; you have to put a translation underneath. Or have you not been reading the last few pages? :tongue:

Yeah, I've been learning German for six years and am doing A Level, and I'm actually applying for German and Spanish :biggrin: Why don't you like being in Germany!? I'm going there on Sunday, soooooooooo excited :biggrin:

And woo! South Germany! Definitely a Schwabin at heart, therefore I agree with you that we ARE friendlier :wink: although watch out, I know there is at least ONE North German here who would disagree :wink:

Hahaha lucky you! :smile: Well have fun! :smile: Have you been to asia? if not, you should try some time :smile:

and dayumm 6 years...thts a RLY long time :P out of curiosity, what exactly are A-Levels? XP

Latest

Trending

Trending