The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Legendary-A-Sonic
Good point about them asking about quotes at interview! Completely forgot about that - I think I was operating under the impression that my intro would be a bit fillerish and therefore a safe zone :rolleyes:

Indeed, quotes are a definite "no" for personal statements - however, though I've read that they may talk to you about your personal statement in your interview, I think it depends on the interview. Someone I talked to who had an interview for psychology at Oxford last year said she did not get asked any questions about her personal statement! On the other hand, others have advised to revise the books you've mentioned.

I think you should just stay on the safe side and make sure you can explain what your book is about/how it applies, but don't worry too much about memorising every word from your PS. :wink:
Original post by fluteflute
If you're taught A level well then you are also taught the principles behind differentiation, etc :wink:

Unfortunately I did a lot of self teaching so I didn't always get that understanding of the principles. :frown:

in an ideal world, yes, but do you think it usually happens in practice when the syllabus doesn't require it, in these days of "teaching to the test"? :holmes:

when I was doing Add maths at GCSE we were just taught the algorithm; it wasn't until C1 with a different teacher we were taught the underlying principle :dontknow:

besides, as a Classics applicant I don't know why I get so annoyed at these things...:moon:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LtCommanderData
I think it's fairly easy to learn or re-learn basic arithmetic procedures from wikipedia as a teenager/adult, if they're needed. I suppose, as a maths person, it's somewhat shameful that I had to re-familiarise myself with these procedures at the start of A-levels, after becoming calculator-dependent during GCSEs.

I'm the same - I started the year able to do relatively complicated multiplication and division in my head, which served me quite well through C1, but by around half way through C2, my basic arithmetic had degraded so much due to the reliance on calculators that I had to check that 12+2=14 :colondollar:
It got back up quickly though for summer revision, but it will probably die again next year due to the inherent laziness that a calculator's proximity creates
Original post by candide
Haven't been on for a while, been too busy with the joys of island life. =L

Anyway, I got my higher results by text today (Scotland)...

Maths A
Physics A
History A
English A
French A
AH Gaidhlig A

just wanna say: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope all the others Scotchmen on here get good news too! :colondollar:

Original post by laughylolly
I just got my results too!!
H English A
H Maths A
H Physics A
H Chemistry A
H Economics A

Can't believe it! I guess I'm going to be applying to Oxford now for sure!

albertine
AAAAA
lonelysoul193
AAAAA

Well done all of you! I got sort-of-good news. They're good results, just not quite what I was hoping for. I think this thread may be the only place where people understand that.

AH maths - A
H physics - A
H French - A
H history - A
H music - B

It was so scary how the text came early! I was by myself on the London Underground and I absent-mindedly checked my phone, and I discovered a text from the SQA! Then had to spend the next five stops trying to control my face.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4024
Oh dear, the A higher results just keep piling up. Being lazy, methinks I will resort to a generic post:

WELL DONE TO ALL YOU SCOTTISH PEOPLE, CONGRATS ON YOUR RESULTS, HOPE TO SEE YOU AT INTERVIEW

That's that done.
I've probably been watching too many Michael McIntyre clips, but I can't help but picture halls full of scotch people with certificates mumbling "We don't need your English BASTARD A-levels"

:teehee:
Original post by Eldedu
Oh dear, the A higher results just keep piling up. Being lazy, methinks I will resort to a generic post:

WELL DONE TO ALL YOU SCOTTISH PEOPLE, CONGRATS ON YOUR RESULTS, HOPE TO SEE YOU AT INTERVIEW

That's that done.
I've probably been watching too many Michael McIntyre clips, but I can't help but picture halls full of scotch people with certificates mumbling "We don't need your English BASTARD A-levels"

:teehee:

Thankyou! STILL ON SUCH A HIGH :biggrin: I hope to see you at interview too! I just need to get an interview...

Original post by anyone_can_fly
Well done all of you! I got sort-of-good news. They're good results, just not quite what I was hoping for. I think this thread may be the only place where people understand that.

AH maths - A
H physics - A
H French - A
H history - A
H music - B

It was so scary how the text came early! I was by myself on the London Underground and I absent-mindedly checked my phone, and I discovered a text from the SQA! Then had to spend the next five stops trying to control my face.

I can understand that, but they are still fantastic results don't lose sight of that at all! AND Oxford will accept them. So chin up and be proud that you are one of the top in your country results wise. :biggrin:
Reply 4026
Original post by Albertine
Thankyou! STILL ON SUCH A HIGH :biggrin: I hope to see you at interview too! I just need to get an interview...

I can understand that, but they are still fantastic results don't lose sight of that at all! AND Oxford will accept them. So chin up and be proud that you are one of the top in your country results wise. :biggrin:

I envy you, my results are still very much in the "have-yet-to-be-obtained phase, I can only imagine how great it must feel to have done it and have it out of the way.

As for needing to get an interview, don't we all...

And anyone_can_fly like Albertine said, I'm sure your results are more than good enough.
Reply 4027
Quick question: My IB grades are likely to be mediocre at best (especially in comparison to those achieved by other applicants). However, my SAT grades meet and exceed the Oxford entry requirements. Since SAT I and 3 Subject tests seem to be more than enough criteria for evaluating US applicants, if I meet/exceed these criteria surely that would compensate for/replace IB?

I know, clutching at straws a little, woke up feeling pessimistic what can I do.
Original post by Eldedu
I envy you, my results are still very much in the "have-yet-to-be-obtained phase, I can only imagine how great it must feel to have done it and have it out of the way.

As for needing to get an interview, don't we all...

And anyone_can_fly like Albertine said, I'm sure your results are more than good enough.

Thankyou, the relief is incredible! Good luck for yours, I'm sure you've done great and get this relief too very soon! :smile: Oxford is the only uni asking for advanced highers so hopefully I'll get some unconditionals!

Haha, yes, I got an A in stating-the-obvious as well :wink:. I'm far more worried about getting an interview than the actual interview. I think I interview fairly well... but I'm not sure I write personal statements well... and then there's the LNAT:eek:
Reply 4029
Thankyou, the relief is incredible! Good luck for yours, I'm sure you've done great and get this relief too very soon! :smile: Oxford is the only uni asking for advanced highers so hopefully I'll get some unconditionals!

Haha, yes, I got an A in stating-the-obvious as well :wink:. I'm far more worried about getting an interview than the actual interview. I think I interview fairly well... but I'm not sure I write personal statements well... and then there's the LNAT:eek:

:laugh: Yeah I'm hoping I'd be able to impress at interview (and at any rate, if I don't, what can you do?), like you it's getting the bloody thing that worries me.

Ooh the LNAT :s-smilie: doesn't sound like fun, I have to sit the TSA :cool: did a few past papers and actually quite enjoyed the mental gymnastics whereas the LNAT past paper I just looked up seemed like sprint reading...but with 5As I'd imagine your critical reading abilities will stand you in good stead :yes:
Original post by Eldedu
:laugh: Yeah I'm hoping I'd be able to impress at interview (and at any rate, if I don't, what can you do?), like you it's getting the bloody thing that worries me.

Ooh the LNAT :s-smilie: doesn't sound like fun, I have to sit the TSA :cool: did a few past papers and actually quite enjoyed the mental gymnastics whereas the LNAT past paper I just looked up seemed like sprint reading...but with 5As I'd imagine your critical reading abilities will stand you in good stead :yes:

No it dosn't! And apparently so many people flunk it so I am not looking forward to it at all and I've hardy prepared (ok I haven't at all). When do you sit the TSA?

I'm not so sure about that. :frown: The pressure might get to me.
Reply 4031
No it dosn't! And apparently so many people flunk it so I am not looking forward to it at all and I've hardy prepared (ok I haven't at all). When do you sit the TSA?

I'm not so sure about that. :frown: The pressure might get to me.

I bet loads of people flunk Scottish Highers too :wink: . November I think, so right in the middle of IB exams (:facepalm2:)

Worst-case scenario, Edinburgh and Glasgow are great universities. I think all of us need to work on contextualising Oxford for what it really is instead of the "golden-ticket" approach which we (or I at least) tend towards.
Reply 4032
judo
edit
(edited 12 years ago)
less than two weeks to results day HNNGGGGGG
Original post by medbh4805
in an ideal world, yes, but do you think it usually happens in practice when the syllabus doesn't require it, in these days of "teaching to the test"? :holmes:

when I was doing Add maths at GCSE we were just taught the algorithm; it wasn't until C1 with a different teacher we were taught the underlying principle :dontknow:

besides, as a Classics applicant I don't know why I get so annoyed at these things...:moon:

In the Scottish system at least, you're taught the principles behind these things (not in a rigorous proof-that-the-square-root-of-two-exists sort of way, but) you can be asked in the exam to differentiate from first principles, and for most things you'd lose a lot of marks at Advanced Higher if all you'd learnt was the method. You wouldn't see where a lot of the questions were coming from. We were shown the proof of all the concepts where at that level you can realistically understand the proof.

Thanks! Yeah, it should be ok for Oxford. I'm a bit worried about the universities where they just do it all on Highers, though. And mainly it's just silly perfectionism :mad: .

I'm more worried about getting an interview. At least if I'm rejected after that I'll have done all I can. Only 60% or so get interviews for maths :eek: Of course, if I do get one, I'll forget all that and panic about the interview the whole time! :rolleyes:
edit
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by medbh4805

Yeah, I imagine it varies a lot between institutions.

Teaching to the test is definitely an issue these days. (Even though you can usually better prepare people by teaching them some background and some harder stuff too)
Reply 4038

AH maths - A
H physics - A
H French - A
H history - A
H music - B

Hey,

Congrats, especially on that A in AH Maths! =D

I can see why you're dissapointed but I'll make two points.

1. Oxford ask for AAAAB at Higher.

2. You're applying for Maths. If you're so good at Maths you can do AH a year early and still get an A, what the hell are they gonna care you got a B in music? From what I gather Maths are really concerned with how good you are at Maths, they couldn't give a damn about anything else. Chin up, Great resulst!

=]
In the Scottish system at least, you're taught the principles behind these things (not in a rigorous proof-that-the-square-root-of-two-exists sort of way, but) you can be asked in the exam to differentiate from first principles, and for most things you'd lose a lot of marks at Advanced Higher if all you'd learnt was the method. You wouldn't see where a lot of the questions were coming from. We were shown the proof of all the concepts where at that level you can realistically understand the proof.

We did learn some proofs (circle theorems, similar triangles and sequences come to mind :holmes: ) but even then we were rarely asked them. I'd be willing to accept that the Scottish higher maths is superior to A level in this respect :colonhash: I didn't even properly understand where trig equations come from until C2 :s-smilie:

I can't wait to do further :sexface:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending