The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4160
Original post by Pigeon93
Well I just finished the IB, and am now on a gap year. But Math, History, French HL, English, Econ, Chemistry SL. And you? Which course do you have in mind?

Cool! Why did you decide to take a gap year? I'm not that familiar with IB, but is 6 a lot? I'm doing Government & Politics, Economics, Maths and German. And I want to apply for German. Reading through everyone's GCSEs makes me feel like a not so strong applicant lol.
Reply 4161
Original post by Legendary-A-Sonic
Don't say things like thaaaat :frown: I genuinely want to cry every time I hear about how close Results Day is.

My plan is to spend all of the 17th baking cupcakes and cookies and really tasty stuff. That way, I figure my mind is occupied for the whole day, and I'll have either lots of comfort eating supplies (if it goes horribly) or celebration treats (if it goes well) ready for Results Day.

Thinking about it that way makes me feel a little bit better. :redface:

Oh come on you'll be fine :biggrin:.

Original post by medbh4805
I'll probably bypass all that and go straight for the vodka tbh. :colonhash:

Ha, I love this! I'll be in Germany at the time and I think there's a wine fest on when I'm there... I like the thought of drowning in my sorrows... In wine.
Original post by Lexi C
Cool! Why did you decide to take a gap year? I'm not that familiar with IB, but is 6 a lot? I'm doing Government & Politics, Economics, Maths and German. And I want to apply for German. Reading through everyone's GCSEs makes me feel like a not so strong applicant lol.

Oh great you want to apply for German? Now you're the second applicant for this subject, there is only one other girl on this thread who's applying for German and she already thought she would be the only one :biggrin:
Reply 4163
Original post by nightmare91
Oh great you want to apply for German? Now you're the second applicant for this subject, there is only one other girl on this thread who's applying for German and she already thought she would be the only one :biggrin:

Haha! She's not so unique now!! Hmmm going to have to find out about this girl... Lol.
Why, what are you thinking of applying for??
Original post by Lexi C

Ha, I love this! I'll be in Germany at the time and I think there's a wine fest on when I'm there... I like the thought of drowning in my sorrows... In wine.

I actually hate wine, though I think I'm developing a penchant for sherry, sherry and ice cream is :sogood:

these days i feel the need to put alcohol in everything really, it helps me cope :colonhash:
Haven't followed this thread in a while, but has everyone already started writing their Personal Statements? I was planning to begin after results, although starting to feel I'm leaving it a little late.
Reply 4166
Original post by Perseverance
Haven't followed this thread in a while, but has everyone already started writing their Personal Statements? I was planning to begin after results, although starting to feel I'm leaving it a little late.

I've started it. Done 1777 characters. But I've a few things to do before I can put them down on the PS!
Well! Visited Oxford today - good thing because apparently during the day the looters came by 3 streets away and loads of police arrived to clear the area! Ahh!

Anyway, fun time today! Bit of hassle in the morning since we (parents and I) took the Tube to Victoria to take the Oxford tube. Looked around but was told the train to Oxford was in Paddington station. So had to take a cab there. Who knew the Oxford tube was a bus?! o_O

So took the train, after an hour arrived in Oxford. Walked about and had lunch at the Eagle and Child. Walked to St. John's. Couldn't find the entrance so we went through the parking lot. Apparently we weren't allowed through that way because after looking through the Garden Quad a porter came over and directed us through to the Canterbury Quad. Passed through the gardens in the meantime, which was unexpected but very lovely and serene. Took photos of quads, bought 'short history and guide' of the college for a few pounds (ended up being a 'very short guide and mostly history' but oh well).

Then we looked about the city some more and ended up at the admissions office, took a few prospectuses and relevant reading material. Didn't really have questions so we left after that. Sought out the psychology department, which shared a building with Zoology. Bit disappointing since it wasn't as grand a department as Earth Sci or Chem ones we passed on the way. We weren't allowed in through the gate.

Subsequently I wanted to go to Blackwell so we headed that way. I bought a book on something neuroscience related (more pop than sci though). Also went to the Eccentricity exhibit in the History of Sci museum. Wandered about some more, then went to the Covered Market to look for a coffee shop someone on TSR recommended.

I couldn't remember the name, so went into a shop to ask. Bought a nice scarf for £2 and asked the shopkeeper if he knew about a café that was "very small and up some stairs". He didn't so I left. As I was walking I happened to glance sideways and found the shop (Georgina's)! Had a coffee there - it was really cute and kitsch. After that we walked around the city - somewhere along the way I saw Jesus college. Had to pay to get in so I decided against it.

Finally we left back to the train station and here I am. The excitement was a bit dulled as yesterday I was watching filming all day of my favorite show (Sherlock). Nevertheless it was interesting to look around and nice to finally get a prospectus!

Hope any of you in London at the mo are safe and well! :smile:

May post photos once I find a charger for my laptop.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lexi C
Haha! She's not so unique now!! Hmmm going to have to find out about this girl... Lol.
Why, what are you thinking of applying for??

Haha she is in Germany right now and will be back in like 2 weeks :biggrin:

I am applying for Economics and Management at Merton College :smile:
Reply 4169
Haha she is in Germany right now and will be back in like 2 weeks :biggrin:

I am applying for Economics and Management at Merton College :smile:

I see, she is my rival now.
Oh my, that will be a toughy to get into... Good luck! Merton seems like a competitive college too!
Original post by punctuation
Well! Visited Oxford today - good thing because apparently during the day the looters came by 3 streets away and loads of police arrived to clear the area! Ahh!

Anyway, fun time today! Bit of hassle in the morning since we (parents and I) took the Tube to Victoria to take the Oxford tube. Looked around but was told the train to Oxford was in Paddington station. So had to take a cab there. Who knew the Oxford tube was a bus?! o_O

So took the train, after an hour arrived in Oxford. Walked about and had lunch at the Eagle and Child. Walked to St. John's. Couldn't find the entrance so we went through the parking lot. Apparently we weren't allowed through that way because after looking through the Garden Quad a porter came over and directed us through to the Canterbury Quad. Passed through the gardens in the meantime, which was unexpected but very lovely and serene. Took photos of quads, bought 'short history and guide' of the college for a few pounds (ended up being a 'very short guide and mostly history' but oh well).

Then we looked about the city some more and ended up at the admissions office, took a few prospectuses and relevant reading material. Didn't really have questions so we left after that. Sought out the psychology department, which shared a building with Zoology. Bit disappointing since it wasn't as grand a department as Earth Sci or Chem ones we passed on the way. We weren't allowed in through the gate.

Subsequently I wanted to go to Blackwell so we headed that way. I bought a book on something neuroscience related (more pop than sci though). Also went to the Eccentricity exhibit in the History of Sci museum. Wandered about some more, then went to the Covered Market to look for a coffee shop someone on TSR recommended.

I couldn't remember the name, so went into a shop to ask. Bought a nice scarf for £2 and asked the shopkeeper if he knew about a café that was "very small and up some stairs". He didn't so I left. As I was walking I happened to glance sideways and found the shop (Georgina's)! Had a coffee there - it was really cute and kitsch. After that we walked around the city - somewhere along the way I saw Jesus college. Had to pay to get in so I decided against it.

Finally we left back to the train station and here I am. The excitement was a bit dulled as yesterday I was watching filming all day of my favorite show (Sherlock). Nevertheless it was interesting to look around and nice to finally get a prospectus!

Hope any of you in London at the mo are safe and well! :smile:

May post photos once I find a charger for my laptop.

That sounds like an awesome day, Julie! :smile: I am so jealous!! And is Oxford like you assumed it would be?
Original post by Lexi C
I see, she is my rival now.
Oh my, that will be a toughy to get into... Good luck! Merton seems like a competitive college too!

Thank you! It is damn competitive... 7.6% acceptance rate whoohooooooo!!! :frown: But hopefully it'll work out. Have you already added yourself to our great spreadsheet? :smile:
Reply 4172
Thank you! It is damn competitive... 7.6% acceptance rate whoohooooooo!!! :frown: But hopefully it'll work out. Have you already added yourself to our great spreadsheet? :smile:

WOW that is exceptionally competitive! But how on top of the world would you feel if you received an offer?!
The spreadsheet? No... Do tell!!
That sounds like an awesome day, Julie! :smile: I am so jealous!! And is Oxford like you assumed it would be?

Pretty much lived to expectations yeah. Definitely getting a cycle if I end up there though. :tongue: Rather tiring to walk around all day... St John's exactly like the photos, thankfully mostly tourist-free. The porter who talked to us was wearing a tie with the crest repeated on it, which I thought was cute. XD
Original post by Lexi C
WOW that is exceptionally competitive! But how on top of the world would you feel if you received an offer?!
The spreadsheet? No... Do tell!!

Yes, it is almost impossible to get an offer but I will try to stay positive :redface: And if I receive an offer I will go like this ::elefant:
and this is our holy spreadsheet https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahtu7FJUHwgsdHJsRE1aa0hQdl9rOWY3MHVqTmUteHc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMTUkYUO#gid=2

add yourself :biggrin:
Pretty much lived to expectations yeah. Definitely getting a cycle if I end up there though. :tongue: Rather tiring to walk around all day... St John's exactly like the photos, thankfully mostly tourist-free. The porter who talked to us was wearing a tie with the crest repeated on it, which I thought was cute. XD

Sounds great! But doesn't it make you want to go there even more? There is such a magic surrounding this university :biggrin:
Reply 4175

How are you finding England in general? (Sorry about the rioting, that isn't what London is usually like.)
Original post by Lexi C

I've always wanted to take one because the idea of working and travelling before uni appeals to me (although I initially thought I'd be obliged to take a year off because of military service, but luckily I got it deferred for 2015). It's also partly a practical solution because I want to give Oxford another go (rejected last time).

No, 6 subjects is what almost everybody does for IB (you CAN take 7 subjects but it's rare/unnecessary). Well I don't even have GCSEs, only IB to go on... so you'll be fine. You have an extra a-level and a good variety on top of that :smile:
How common/well regarded is the IB in the UK, actually, as compared to a-levels?
Aww who messed up the college color coding on the spreadsheet? Now it's all dull -_-

Why are there only 2 other Physics applicants?! Where are you hiding guys, feeling lonely :'(
Is it only for medicine that oxford do not accept retakes (ie a third a level year) or is it across the board for all subjects?
Original post by deejayy
How are you finding England in general? (Sorry about the rioting, that isn't what London is usually like.)

England is fine, very interesting. Despite the riots it's actually somewhat interesting to be there when something newsworthy is happening. This is my second time visiting London so my perspective wasn't skewed too much. It was still lovely to see unis and watch filming. Still very glad I came.

Latest

Trending

Trending