The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4500
Original post by medbh4805
I know my Ovid essay could have been so, so much better, really disappointed in myself :sad: and I want to do classics at uni! :cry2:

Damn Greek was the next day too :sad:

I know what you mean, I absolutely hated my Ovid essay, although I think my Cicero went okay in comparison. I'm more worried about the language to be honest.

Yeah, a couple of girls in my class had the EXACT same problem with greek - me, I just had Spanish the day before, History on the same day and then History again on the same day as the second paper. And guess what, I'm taking History and Spanish at uni - fantastic!
Reply 4501
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Yeah... that's unheard of down here. Unless you get a music scholarship at a private school.

It's not just music that you get scholarships for, you can get them for academics too and some schools offer them in sports as well
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Yeah... that's unheard of down here. Unless you get a music scholarship at a private school.

For all subjects? or just the languages?! Geeesus. I know there are plenty of countries who have internal exams rather than external, makes life so much simpler

All the Edinburgh state schools offer free lessons, but I know that in Aberdeen they don't unless you go to the music school. Mind you, it isn't all great - in primary the lesson was in a group of 8 which by the end of P7 ranged in level from pre-prep test to grade 2. And they've cut so much in the last few years that my friend is now being taught flute by a horn teacher every other week and a clarinet teacher every other week!
Original post by Jester94
It's not just music that you get scholarships for, you can get them for academics too and some schools offer them in sports as well

I know. We were discussing music lessons only though.
Reply 4504
Original post by dragonmeister
I swear that no-one (apart from a select few freakishly good people) did well on that M2 paper - it was pure, undiluted evil, capable of turning the nicest person I know to violence and brooding for the rest of the day

Yeah, and the grade boundaries for it reflect that, I'm hoping I might have taken a B from it, but who knows? I think my marks for tomorrow could range from A*abb to Aabc (plus some arbitrary grade for Critical thinking), and I just want to know now. :mad:

Anyway, it looks like it's time to start consuming some alcohol to settle my nerves, which have only really kicked in the past half-hour.
Reply 4505
Original post by anyone_can_fly
All the Edinburgh state schools offer free lessons, but I know that in Aberdeen they don't unless you go to the music school. Mind you, it isn't all great - in primary the lesson was in a group of 8 which by the end of P7 ranged in level from pre-prep test to grade 2. And they've cut so much in the last few years that my friend is now being taught flute by a horn teacher every other week and a clarinet teacher every other week!

Our council offers free in-school bagpipe tuition to EVERYBODY, but no other instrument. They pay for two fulltime piping tutors for uist alone - any other instrument u wanna learn, u gotta pay. Bored one day I nicked the tutors class sheets and worked out that in my secondary school of 300 people, over one in five people play the bagpipes or chanter. Absurd. No one plays the viola, mind. =L
Original post by candide
Our council offers free in-school bagpipe tuition to EVERYBODY, but no other instrument. They pay for two fulltime piping tutors for uist alone - any other instrument u wanna learn, u gotta pay. Bored one day I nicked the tutors class sheets and worked out that in my secondary school of 300 people, over one in five people play the bagpipes or chanter. Absurd. No one plays the viola, mind. =L

Sounds a bit like a misplaced desire to be over-Scottish to me. Fiddle and clarsach are much nicer instruments. Then again, I think that just about anything is a nicer instrument than the bagpipes. At this time of year if you dare to venture into town you get besieged by an army of them, all playing either Scotland the Brave, Highland Cathedral, or occasionally the Skye Boat Song.

Viola is the Instrument of Awesomeness. The reason so few people play it is that the rest just don't feel worthy.
Reply 4507
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Sounds a bit like a misplaced desire to be over-Scottish to me. Fiddle and clarsach are much nicer instruments. Then again, I think that just about anything is a nicer instrument than the bagpipes. At this time of year if you dare to venture into town you get besieged by an army of them, all playing either Scotland the Brave, Highland Cathedral, or occasionally the Skye Boat Song.

Viola is the Instrument of Awesomeness. The reason so few people play it is that the rest just don't feel worthy.

I think its because in ye oldie days Uist pipers - clan mackintyre in particular - were renowned throughout the heilans for singing the pipes with great skill and calibre and that now our esteemed local authority wishes to win back our honour...

I sing the pipe, but detest it and haven't sang all yonder summer.

ha, I would doubt a viola has ever actually set foot in uist! =L
Good luck a-level people!

Was trying to look for a four leaf clover but all I could find was a leprechaun so here you go:

:lep:
I got an A* in Irish!!! :woo: (382/400)

so happy :jive:

now to wait for the post for the rest, for some reason I can only access A2 results on the CCEA website....
(edited 12 years ago)
thought id pop back into this thread to tell you guys I got my 5 As at AS :smile: with all of them 90%+ :biggrin: just have to decide between oxford and cambridge now...
Reply 4511
Original post by tgarrud
thought id pop back into this thread to tell you guys I got my 5 As at AS :smile: with all of them 90%+ :biggrin: just have to decide between oxford and cambridge now...

Effort, we can't go in for another hour yet.
Reply 4512
Original post by medbh4805
I know my Ovid essay could have been so, so much better, really disappointed in myself :sad: and I want to do classics at uni! :cry2:

Damn Greek was the next day too :sad:

Argh, I knew I messed up the essays, got a B in that paper :frown: still got the A overall so all that matters
Reply 4513
I need help:

I got 2As and a B at AS this year, but I took French and Maths A2 and got As in both...is it worth applying? I really really don't know what to do

Thanks
Reply 4514
omg omg omg

280+ UMS in all 5 relevant subjects (counting A Level mathematics in two parts seen as I'll have 2 A Levels for mathematics and further mathematics next year)

(all in sig)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Reminisce
omg omg omg

280+ UMS in all 5 relevant subjects (counting A Level mathematics in two parts seen as I'll have 2 A Levels for mathematics and further mathematics next year)

thats amazing :smile: well done!
yaaaaay got all A's. 288/300 physics, 287/300 further maths, 283/300 maths and a few 100%'s (C1, FP1 and physics unit 2) yayayayayay
Reply 4517
Original post by maths134
yaaaaay got all A's. 288/300 physics, 287/300 further maths, 283/300 maths and a few 100%'s (C1, FP1 and physics unit 2) yayayayayay

That sounds like the scariest group of AS subjects I could imagine! Well done though :smile:
584/600 for maths, plus 100 and 96 in FP1 and S2 :woo:
281/300 in Chem
190/200 in Economics

B in general studies

i'm such a nerd tbh
Results are looking good so far. Well done guys!

Latest

Trending

Trending