The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nightmare91
Well, she had been in Germany for 3 weeks and she got back like a week ago. I suppose she's really busy right now.

ah fair enough. I was wondering :moon:
Reply 4901
Original post by medbh4805
lol, "social climbers" :lol: well, I suppose it's true :moon: is that the song set to the tune of the internationale?

LOL no it was set to "do the locomotion" by kylie minogue
Original post by Planar
LOL no it was set to "do the locomotion" by kylie minogue

this is the one I was thinking of

I was wondering, I didn't think it would be to your...tastes :mmm:

I know all the words to the Internationale, in English and Irish. Shameful. :sad:
Reply 4903
oxford ftw
Reply 4904
yeah, that's my goal too. Don't want to stressing at the last minute :no:

however I'm sure my school will find a way of making it as stressful as possible for me ...:moon:

I feel your pain, I'm going into my school early next week to arrange for my reference (I'm applying as an individual), and I've to try to convince my history and English teacher to write my reference for me, despite his having refused once before with a dismissive "The principal writes the UCAS references"

I've spoken to my principal about three times in six years.
I'm applying for History and English.
The teacher I have for both subjects won't write my reference.
Go figure.

Also, I just read on the written work cover sheet that the work has to be sent in early november:confused: BTW I love this thread, its so nice to know there are people stressing about the same things as me:rolleyes: I also love the smilies

:fight: :toofunny:
Original post by caien
I feel your pain, I'm going into my school early next week to arrange for my reference (I'm applying as an individual), and I've to try to convince my history and English teacher to write my reference for me, despite his having refused once before with a dismissive "The principal writes the UCAS references"

I've spoken to my principal about three times in six years.
I'm applying for History and English.
The teacher I have for both subjects won't write my reference.
Go figure.

Also, I just read on the written work cover sheet that the work has to be sent in early november:confused: BTW I love this thread, its so nice to know there are people stressing about the same things as me:rolleyes: I also love the smilies

:fight: :toofunny:

arrgh the best person to write my reference by far is my maths teacher, as he's the only teacher I know well on any sort of personal level or even has a clue about what classics involves (he'd probably be happy to do it too). I just know the powers that be are going to fob me off with some senior teacher who's never spoken to me in my life. :dry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by caien
Yeah mine was along the same lines:s-smilie: I had like, a history paragraph, and an english lit paragraph, and I was going to do a small piece on why I want to do both, but its already at 7800 without it, and I haven't even done a conclusion:frown: And somehow when I read back over it it just doesn't seem personal enough.
There's going to be some brutal editing in the English paragraph I reckon... Its so hard to decide when there's two subjects to consider:confused:

imho they should give double space for joint degrees if they expect us to pay enough attention to both subjects(which they do). I wonder what PPE students are supposed to do:biggrin: Maybe you should rephrase, make the sentences shorter but keep the ideas the same...:confused: I also need to shorten my expressing-love-and-admiration-for-maths part, they surely don't want to know about my thoughts on Maths "being the key for breaking the cages of reality and living a perfectly logical world of abstraction" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by fluteflute
Wooh, we've missed you! (Well I have...)

I missed you too! That is, I missed stalking your email and making death threats. :ninja:

Original post by nightmare91
Yea we have! Where are all the guys from like 5 weeks ago... Our old Oxford crew that tried to beat Cambridge's thread by posting irrelevant stuff :biggrin: Kinda miss it..

YEAH, DAMN IT. What's with all this relevant material? BEGONE!

---

Oxon applicants, with your crazy ways...
I've missed you so! Things haven't changed;
We're still lacking in relevance and posting photos of elephants.
If this spirit dies I will too, in dismay.

ETA: Okay I know we've never posted photos of elephants... best time to start as any! :biggrin:

(edited 12 years ago)
hmmm PIE
Original post by punctuation
I missed you too! That is, I missed stalking your email and making death threats. :ninja:

YEAH, DAMN IT. What's with all this relevant material? BEGONE!

---

Reply 4909
this is the one I was thinking of

I was wondering, I didn't think it would be to your...tastes :mmm:

I know all the words to the Internationale, in English and Irish. Shameful. :sad:

I'm a neo-liberal, so I suppose my song would have to mention derivatives and gold and skiing :smile:
I'm a bit bored so I'll limerick here on my own.
After I turn off my computer I'll stay on my phone,
To get little sleep; for this fact I weep.
All can be fixed with lots of coffee, though.
Hi I was just wondering if the fact that I tutored myself through my IGCSE's would have any weight with Oxford Admissions Tutors. I took the exams back in West Africa, and they were unable to teach us a different syllabus, so I was forced to teach my self from textbooks etc. The grades were not really good, but I had nothing lower than a B.
I'm not so worried about the grades themselves. I'm going to have my form tutor talk about the fact that I had to teach myself in my reference. Could I also mention it in my PS? Maybe something about academic independence?
Do admissions tutor really care for this sort of thing or is it just another excuse/sob story to them. Any experiences or opinions are really welcome!!!
Original post by humblemumble

Original post by humblemumble
Hi I was just wondering if the fact that I tutored myself through my IGCSE's would have any weight with Oxford Admissions Tutors. I took the exams back in West Africa, and they were unable to teach us a different syllabus, so I was forced to teach my self from textbooks etc. The grades were not really good, but I had nothing lower than a B.
I'm not so worried about the grades themselves. I'm going to have my form tutor talk about the fact that I had to teach myself in my reference. Could I also mention it in my PS? Maybe something about academic independence?
Do admissions tutor really care for this sort of thing or is it just another excuse/sob story to them. Any experiences or opinions are really welcome!!!
It's definitely worth getting your tutor to write about it in their reference, you can't lose anything! That's the place for the "excuses".

You might want to talk about it in your PS, but only if you've got anything to say about what you gained from that experience, which you might :smile: The PS isn't the place for 'excuses' :smile:
Original post by rdsnell
Clearly not. No fancy tactics are going to give you a better chance of getting into Oxford I'm afraid. It isn't some kind of lucky dip, it's a place at a world class institution, so sending in an application a bit earlier than everyone else will not make a blind bit of difference.

That is exactly what I thought. I understand that you cannot compare a place at Oxford to a lucky dip, I was simply checking on behalf of a few people I know who think they can get in 'more easily' as in, if they aren't as good as others they will get in by applying earlier. This is obviously not true; Oxford want the best students possible, and most importantly, the students with the most potential. I wanted to make sure I was correct before I explained to them how it actually works, it was not a 'tactic' of my own.

Thank you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Planar
I'm a neo-liberal, so I suppose my song would have to mention derivatives and gold and skiing :smile:

:rofl:

mine would feature....credit unions and antitrust laws? :teehee:
Is there somewhere on UCAS apart from the PS where I can put my Maths UMS? Because I'm quote proud of them, though not my others so much.

Also, I think I might be taking the wrong approach with my PS. Applying for PPE. I've started with a Freakonomics quite, and then done a paragraph on how each of my current A-Level subjects prepares me for that course :/ I guess I need to take a bit off that and add a bit about how I'm really interested to learn about game theory.

But if I say that, won't they expect me to have wider read up on it, which I don't get. If I'm going to be taught it, why wider read up on it now?
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Is there somewhere on UCAS apart from the PS where I can put my Maths UMS? Because I'm quote proud of them, though not my others so much.

Reference.

Also, I think I might be taking the wrong approach with my PS. Applying for PPE. I've started with a Freakonomics quite, and then done a paragraph on how each of my current A-Level subjects prepares me for that course :/ I guess I need to take a bit off that and add a bit about how I'm really interested to learn about game theory.

But if I say that, won't they expect me to have wider read up on it, which I don't get. If I'm going to be taught it, why wider read up on it now?

erm.... :K:

erm.... :K:

I get why that's a really stupid thing to ask, but... Isn't it more important to do the wider reading around my A Level courses so that I can actually get into any university?

Just struggling with how to do my PS I guess, school lack of support not really helping.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I get why that's a really stupid thing to ask, but... Isn't it more important to do the wider reading around my A Level courses so that I can actually get into any university?

Just struggling with how to do my PS I guess, school lack of support not really helping.

You don't need to do wider reading to pass an A level. A levels are largely about learning a syllabus and regurgitating facts in the exam.

Frankly, if you are serious about economics, I would try and read more widely than Freakonomics. You're setting yourself up for a fall otherwise. They want to see that you are passionate about and commited to the subject. I'd be worried if this is not obvious to you. :erm:
(edited 12 years ago)
You don't need to do wider reading to pass an A level. A levels are largely about learning a syllabus and regurgitating facts in the exam.

Frankly, if you are serious about economics, I would try and read more widely than Freakonomics. You're setting yourself up for a fall otherwise. They want to see that you are passionate about and commited to the subject. I'd be worried if this is not obvious to you. :erm:

I've read other stuff as well, that's just a quotation I felt helped. I've mentioned the other reading I've done

Latest

Trending

Trending