The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laughylolly
I got it differentiating 1 + 2secx/(cotx-secx). SOO much easier. Everything simplifies much nicer. How do you know that (cotx + secx)/(cotx - secx) = 1 + 2secx/(cotx - secx) ??

Thanks to both of you though!

Ooops, You are too quick :p:

(cotx + secx)/(cotx - secx) = (cotx - secx + 2secx)/(cotx - secx) = 1 + 2secx/(cotx - secx)
Reply 161
This is quickly becoming my favourite thread. c:

My trig work needs, well, work. If I was better at manipulating like that, it'd make my life a whole lot easier. :redface:
Original post by ukdragon37
Ooops, You are too quick :p:

(cotx + secx)/(cotx - secx) = (cotx - secx + 2secx)/(cotx - secx) = 1 + 2secx/(cotx - secx)

Ahhh I see. Cause if cotx + secx = cotx - secx + c. C would be 2secx and then (cotx-secx)/cotx-secx) gives you 1 so 1 +2secx/cotx - secx

I should think about maybe rearranging the equation before differentiating more often. Probably make things a lot easier.

Original post by JordanR
This is quickly becoming my favourite thread. c:

My trig work needs, well, work. If I was better at manipulating like that, it'd make my life a whole lot easier. :redface:

Trig was probably my worst area of maths last year. I'm getting better though. Sometimes you just have to go back to basics with it and everything suddenly becomes so clear ahah.

I think I've done enough maths for today.

I finished the rest of the E^x and ln differentiation questions. Had no trouble with them at all. I think just sometimes, if you aren't in the right mind set, you just don't see things as clearly or make stupid mistakes.
(edited 12 years ago)
ahaha you'll all have a fun year.

I had a great time in the class, and I actually enjoyed the subject.

Shame I got a D...

btw Proof by Induction's an absolute bitch
Original post by seanfromtheblock
ahaha you'll all have a fun year.

I had a great time in the class, and I actually enjoyed the subject.

Shame I got a D...

btw Proof by Induction's an absolute bitch

Did proof by induction whilst on a maths course in the summer. It's just so... weird? In a way I thought of it like stating the obvious. I don't know. Luckily I still got some super notes from that course so hopefully I won't struggle too much second time doing it.
I finished the rest of the E^x and ln differentiation questions. Had no trouble with them at all. I think just sometimes, if you aren't in the right mind set, you just don't see things as clearly or make stupid mistakes.

Want a challenge question now on the same topic? :colone:
Reply 166
I might start on proofs soon. Since my timetable is super empty (see) I've got a lot of free time in school. With that said, I usually just go home.

If she doesn't, I do!
Did proof by induction whilst on a maths course in the summer. It's just so... weird? In a way I thought of it like stating the obvious. I don't know. Luckily I still got some super notes from that course so hopefully I won't struggle too much second time doing it.

I just absolutely hated the whole 'prove this is true, by assuming that it is true'

to be honest I probably just didn't understand it, hence the D.

Our paper was brutal though, although a girl in my class got 100%:angry:

Ohh... I guess. Give me something to look at until the X Factor starts in 6 minutes.

I just absolutely hated the whole 'prove this is true, by assuming that it is true'

I heard it was pretty awful, I think the credit paper was pretty bad too. Luckily higher wasn't too bad. 100% though, that's kinda crazy.

Original post by JordanR
I might start on proofs soon. Since my timetable is super empty (see) I've got a lot of free time in school. With that said, I usually just go home.

If she doesn't, I do!

My lovely timetable:

Just look at all the periods of maths I have. The subject assistant thing is for maths too (one set 5 (out of 5) S1 class, one set 4 (out of 5) S4 class).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JordanR

If she doesn't, I do!

Ohh... I guess. Give me something to look at until the X Factor starts in 6 minutes.

Differentiate xxxx^{x^{x^\cdot}}, that is x^(x^(x^(x....))). This is a TSR classic :p:
(edited 12 years ago)

I heard it was pretty awful, I think the credit paper was pretty bad too. Luckily higher wasn't too bad. 100% though, that's kinda crazy.

I was counting up what I answered as I gave up about half-way through and I knew I hadn't passed. Felt quite bad though, as there was a girl with an Oxford conditional doing the paper and she knew she hadn't got her A.

Oh well, Newcastle let me in, even though I needed a B, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

I've forgotten pretty much all of it now anyway :colondollar:
Reply 171

My lovely timetable:

Just look at all the periods of maths I have. The subject assistant thing is for maths too (one set 5 (out of 5) S1 class, one set 4 (out of 5) S4 class).

Oh wow. My timetable suddenly feels like it should have a lot more on it... my school are just unable to offer any more teaching time than that.

Differentiate xxxx^{x^{x^\cdot}}, that is x^(x^(x^(x....))). This is a TSR classis :p:

Differentiate xxxx^{x^{x^\cdot}}, that is x^(x^(x^(x....))). This is a TSR classic :p:

Is it just 1??

Wait no... let me think about this.

It's just the same.. xxxx^{x^{x^\cdot}}

Because if say

y=x^x then dy/dx=x^1 * x^(x-1) which is just x^x again so yeah?

Wait no. again haha. There's something to do with ln in it isn't there?
(edited 12 years ago)

Oh god, a girl in the year above me that sat AH Maths last year got 100% too.... And 100% in Higher Maths the year before... :rolleyes:
Reply 174
Is it just 1??

Wait no... let me think about this.

It's just the same.. xxxx^{x^{x^\cdot}}

Because if say

y=x^x then dy/dx=x^1 * x^(x-1) which is just x^x again so yeah?

Derivative of x^x is x^x ln(x+1) using the chain rule. I think. I'm eating soup, so I'm not 100% focused. xD

Either way, this problem has me :confused:

Remember that x^x = e^xlnx
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JordanR
Derivative of x^x is x^x ln(x+1) using the chain rule. I think. I'm eating soup, so I'm not 100% focused. xD

Either way, this problem has me :confused:

Remember that x^x = e^xlnx

Yeah it's x^x (lnx + 1) now what would it be for xxxx^{x^{x^\cdot}}.... hmmm

And yum, soup.

Here's a lovely solution for x^x on youtube:

Guy sounds a lot like the maths lecturer I had a Durham this summer...
Original post by LonelySoul193
Oh god, a girl in the year above me that sat AH Maths last year got 100% too.... And 100% in Higher Maths the year before... :rolleyes:

yeah this girl got 100% in higher maths last year, and 100% in all the prelims for both of them, so much jealousy it's unreal. think she got 100% in AH chemistry this year as well, if not 100 it was in the high 90s.
yeah this girl got 100% in higher maths last year, and 100% in all the prelims for both of them, so much jealousy it's unreal. think she got 100% in AH chemistry this year as well, if not 100 it was in the high 90s.

Ugh, stupid smart people :angry:
Ugh, stupid smart people :angry:

Says the one with perfect grades :tongue:
Reply 179

I got 99% in both Maths AHs this year, I missed out the second part of a sentence in the Maths paper and used SOHCAHTAO in the Mechanics paper :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending