The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by radio1
hey guys =]

I am applying for Economics at Trinity, anyone in the same boat or even already there or soon to be there?

I suppose you meant Economics and Management? :tongue: Yea I am an applicant as well. I'm applying for Merton College :smile:
Original post by anyone_can_fly

Original post by anyone_can_fly
My viola teacher has been trying to convince me that she knows from a "very reliable source" that if two candidates are the same academically, they'll choose the one that plays a musical instrument. :dry: Unconvinced...
That might be true... but only if we go on the basis that two candidates are never "the same academically" :biggrin: (and if they were, they'd probably give them both offers...)
Original post by fluteflute
That might be true... but only if we go on the basis that two candidates are never "the same academically" :biggrin: (and if they were, they'd probably give them both offers...)

That was my feeling. I didn't press the point though, my teacher is Always Right. :biggrin:
Original post by nightmare91
I suppose you meant Economics and Management? :tongue: Yea I am an applicant as well. I'm applying for Merton College :smile:

I may be jumping ship to LMH now :smile: It's all about the accommodation.
Reply 5544
Original post by Brand New Eyes
I may be jumping ship to LMH now :smile: It's all about the accommodation.

I'm applying there :smile:

Finished my personal statement today YAY.
Also, does anyone know what sort of score you should be getting in the admissions tests? Like if you get below a certain score will you not get an interview?
Original post by Lexi C
I'm applying there :smile:

Finished my personal statement today YAY.
Also, does anyone know what sort of score you should be getting in the admissions tests? Like if you get below a certain score will you not get an interview?

Which admissions test in particular...?
Original post by doloroushazy
Yeah same as us! That's the 'anthology' because that's the name they give to the little photocopied bits of paper with feminism/marxism etc... justto sound fancy. I did Trainspotting.

Eep! It's so terrifying. I got our exams officer to do it the other day but I'm worried it hasn't actually worked cause it seemed so informal haha. Is your school big on Oxbridge? We're meant to get mock interviews but nothing has been mentioned and I'm scared to ask cause the teachers are all really stressed at the moment (pah..)

What is it you like about Hertford? I haven't been to it! I'm decided on Wadham I think, just cause it seems like a groovy place to be hah. I've hardly looked around any of them really :s-smilie: hah

Ah right, yup that's what I was on about!

Not really :P we usually have 1 or less a year get in as far as I know but they're doing a bigger drive for it this year, plus the interviews are to help people applying to other good uni's also which may interview [eg Warwick for English]

We went around there specifically because that's where our last student went and it meant he could give us a VIP tour so to speak :P I just liked the atmosphere of it; it looked like an Oxford college without being huge like Merton etc. We visited St Hildas and it looked like more of a hotel to me :P
Just something I stumbled upon that might be of use to applicants:

http://www.mcsoxford.org/academic/reading-lists/oxbridge
Reply 5548
Hey guys! Sorry if this has been bought up before..but how much importance is given to an A* prediction? If the standard offer is AAA, would an A*AA predicted applicant be disadvantaged compared to anyone predicted higher? Or do they consider other things? :confused:
Original post by Ash16
Hey guys! Sorry if this has been bought up before..but how much importance is given to an A* prediction? If the standard offer is AAA, would an A*AA predicted applicant be disadvantaged compared to anyone predicted higher? Or do they consider other things? :confused:

For sciences, it may make a slight differences in the introduction of the A*AA/A*A*A standard offers for maths based subjects implies that schools are getting better at predicting/preparing students for the A* grade.

However, seeing as for other, more artsy subjects the A* is a more subjective matter (Which is perhaps why Oxford did not introduce the A* grade for humanities subjects) then I don't think that Oxford would put too much emphasis on the whims of teachers' predictions which can be very inaccurate.

They would probably put more stock in your previous academic record.
Reply 5550
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
... the introduction of the A*AA/A*A*A standard offers for maths based subjects implies that schools are getting better at predicting/preparing students for the A* grade.

It might just mean that Oxford mathematics is unwilling to look too easy compared to Certain Other Institutions that were already asking for A*s last year. Never underestimate the insecurity of the apparently secure.
Paid/Sent my UCAS today, only to the referee though. I'm not even sure about one of my choices and changed it at the last minute, also didn't bother trying to figure out how to add ABRSM rubbish :dontknow:
Original post by Dan Dean
It might just mean that Oxford mathematics is unwilling to look too easy compared to Certain Other Institutions that were already asking for A*s last year. Never underestimate the insecurity of the apparently secure.

Well considering Oxford's decision to refrain from using the A* grade last year didn't exactly hurt its application numbers, I doubt that would ever be the sole motivation.

In fact, Oxford stated when the A* was introduced that they would monitor its progress to see how it worked out with predictions/results as such - so it was always looming in the horizon.

Now that it turns out most successful mathmos do get A*A*A and that the A* grade has had is breaking in period then it makes sense to change.

Also note that other courses have remained at AAA - so it's not like Oxford are desperate to change everything just because other unis have done so...
Reply 5553
Hi :smile:

Applying for : Geography at St Catherine's
GCSEs: 12.5 A*s
AS: 5 As (Maths, Econ&Bus, Geography, History, Critical Thinking
Predicted: 4 A*s (dropped history)

Any other geographers?
Reply 5554
Original post by dnumberwang
Paid/Sent my UCAS today, only to the referee though. I'm not even sure about one of my choices and changed it at the last minute, also didn't bother trying to figure out how to add ABRSM rubbish :dontknow:

Good luck. What's ABRSM?

I am currently agonising over my reference and "work experience" and "addition info" sections of ucas, which I have no clue about. Are they actually impiorant?
In your schools does your department/ subject tutor complete your reference, or is it done by some other teacher (e.g. form tutor)? My college has a bog-standard structure comprising bascially of 1 para from subject tutors per AS subject, which makes it have no focus on my degree subject (maths).

Times are getting desperate.
"Thank you. Your payment has been accepted and your application has been sent to your referee." :biggrin: Nearly there!
Original post by twig
Good luck. What's ABRSM?

I am currently agonising over my reference and "work experience" and "addition info" sections of ucas, which I have no clue about. Are they actually impiorant?
In your schools does your department/ subject tutor complete your reference, or is it done by some other teacher (e.g. form tutor)? My college has a bog-standard structure comprising bascially of 1 para from subject tutors per AS subject, which makes it have no focus on my degree subject (maths).

Times are getting desperate.

The board that does all the musical instrument exams :tongue:

I have nothing in those sections either, and I think our school does it that way too but I'm seeing the headmaster tomorrow morning about the reference :dontknow:
Just something I stumbled upon that might be of use to applicants:

Thank you! That link is useful :colone: stealing their resources lol....
Original post by Niki_girl
Thank you! That link is useful :colone: stealing their resources lol....

I believe in equal opportunity :wink:

I 'steal' from the rich to give to the resource poor.....:tongue:
I believe in equal opportunity :wink:

I 'steal' from the rich to give to the resource poor.....:tongue:

No Chemistry reading list in there :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending